Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nervous to hand in notice for university place? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be quite a long post so bear with me.

I started an appenticeship in graphic design about a year ago. I quickly realised that I wasn't enjoying it, and, after speaking to my tutor, we arranged for it to be completed by August/September time so that I could take my place in a local university, rather than completing in Feb 2018 as originally planned. My boss had no idea that I was thinking about applying to uni, and the fact that I'm ahead of my progress wasn't questionable as she has had two other apprentices who both completed the course early.

My problem is that I have been offered a full time role after the apprenticeship has finished. After spending a lot of time considering it, I have decided to take my place at university. I did say to my boss that I was considering other options before confirming or declining the role with the company. She asked me if there was anything else in particular that I had my mind on, to which I replied no despite knowing full well about the university place :/

The issue is that I essentially got the role due to the fact that I turned down a university spot last year. I practically spent the entire interview talking about why I didn't want to go last year, and my boss herself was an apprentice. That combined with the fact that she has taken on two before me, shows just how much she likes the apprentice programme. How an earth do I tell her that I'm not staying because I want to go to university, to study the exact subject that I'm essentially doing there?

She has asked me to give her as much notice as possible due to another designer leaving in the next month, just before I would leave. Obviously I want to give her as much notice as possible and make my exit as smooth as possible, but I don't want to have 1, almost 2, months of being questioned and asked about my decision by my co-workers in the department, as well as having to do all the standard crappy apprentice jobs for two months.

My question is essentially, how do I tell her that I'm declining a full time role to go to university to study the same thing that I have been offered there, and when do I tell her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LisaH97)
    This is going to be quite a long post so bear with me.

I started an appenticeship in graphic design about a year ago. I quickly realised that I wasn't enjoying it, and, after speaking to my tutor, we arranged for it to be completed by August/September time so that I could take my place in a local university, rather than completing in Feb 2018 as originally planned. My boss had no idea that I was thinking about applying to uni, and the fact that I'm ahead of my progress wasn't questionable as she has had two other apprentices who both completed the course early.

My problem is that I have been offered a full time role after the apprenticeship has finished. After spending a lot of time considering it, I have decided to take my place at university. I did say to my boss that I was considering other options before confirming or declining the role with the company. She asked me if there was anything else in particular that I had my mind on, to which I replied no despite knowing full well about the university place :/

The issue is that I essentially got the role due to the fact that I turned down a university spot last year. I practically spent the entire interview talking about why I didn't want to go last year, and my boss herself was an apprentice. That combined with the fact that she has taken on two before me, shows just how much she likes the apprentice programme. How an earth do I tell her that I'm not staying because I want to go to university, to study the exact subject that I'm essentially doing there?

She has asked me to give her as much notice as possible due to another designer leaving in the next month, just before I would leave. Obviously I want to give her as much notice as possible and make my exit as smooth as possible, but I don't want to have 1, almost 2, months of being questioned and asked about my decision by my co-workers in the department, as well as having to do all the standard crappy apprentice jobs for two months.

My question is essentially, how do I tell her that I'm declining a full time role to go to university to study the same thing that I have been offered there, and when do I tell her?
    Legally, you don't have to give a reason when handing in a notice nor do you have to disclose your reason to any of your coworkers.

You've already stated that you're not happy where you are so why not use that as your reasoning? You wouldn't be lying and you don't have to mention university if you don't want to. You could say that you've been considering it for some time and you've realised that this apprenticeship isn't what you want to be doing or how you learn best (some just do better in a classroom setting whereas others learn best on the job).

I would mention to your tutor that you don't want university to be mentioned when you leave so that they don't let it slip when they're asked about you leaving.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Given someone in the department knows why you're leaving I wouldn't try and lie or refuse to tell, it'll come out and you'll look bad. So tell them asap (assuming they won't fire you early or something) so that you can give them as much notice as possible. A month is enoguh notice but if you knew you had a place at uni and knew they'd be short staffed and didn't say anything then they will probably be annoyed at you and I'm guessing you'll want references in the future. 2 months is not long to deal with a few questions ad people will get broed and stop asking pretty quickly so just brush off the questions with non-comittal responses until they give up.

ReputationRep:
    You tell her straight away in a letter. It doesn't have to be long winded. Just, I give notice of my departure for uni. I have enjoyed working here and wish you the best in the future blah blah blah. But only if your uni place has been secured. Your boss will be sad to see you go, but people leaving to go elsewhere is pah for the course. It is no big deal.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I quickly realised that I wasn't enjoying it
    As others have said - you don't have to give a written reason.

But openess and honesty is always a good way to approach these things. Write a brief letter of resignation without giving a reason if don't want to, but be prepared for an "exit interview". Many employers do like to have a chat with leaving employees - if only to help them improve their workplaces for the others. Don't worry there won't be any hard feelings, employers know it comes with the territory.

Most employers have a 30%+ annual staff turnover - (i.e. 1 in 3 staff leave each year).

It's fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.