Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to save a 5 year relationship :( Watch

I have just returned from my semester abroad and my 'boyfriend' has been acting off with me and has called off our relationship.
    He says it's because I do not sleep at his house enough, and he does not believe I ever will. I get where he is coming from but it just seems quite a crap reason to end our relationship, I have even said that I would stay at his house after my semester abroad had finished. He says I am not loving enough because I hate PDA, but I cannot change this.
    I don't know what to do. He says he still loves me but he can't see it working out, however I definitely could if we both put in more time and effort into our relationship. I have only been home for three weeks.
    I don't know what to do/say to him to make him see differently. Help

ReputationRep:
    He sounds like he's giving you every excuse in the book to break up

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he says he is still in love with me, and when he came to visit me abroad we had an amazing week together. I am so confused
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have just returned from my semester abroad and my 'boyfriend' has been acting off with me and has called off our relationship.
    He says it's because I do not sleep at his house enough, and he does not believe I ever will. I get where he is coming from but it just seems quite a crap reason to end our relationship, I have even said that I would stay at his house after my semester abroad had finished. He says I am not loving enough because I hate PDA, but I cannot change this.
    I don't know what to do. He says he still loves me but he can't see it working out, however I definitely could if we both put in more time and effort into our relationship. I have only been home for three weeks.
    If he doesn't believe the relationship is advancing, unless you want it to i can't see much changing. After five years together has much changed since you got together at all?

(Original post by claireestelle)
    If he doesn't believe the relationship is advancing, unless you want it to i can't see much changing. After five years together has much changed since you got together at all?
    We get on fine most of the time, I do not understand why he is being so difficult with me. I did not stay at his house during Christmas when I came home for a few weeks because I was spending time with my family, but I still seen him every day and even went away for a weekend. I just do not want to throw our relationship away about something so trivial.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    We get on fine most of the time, I do not understand why he is being so difficult with me. I did not stay at his house during Christmas when I came home for a few weeks because I was spending time with my family, but I still seen him every day and even went away for a weekend. I just do not want to throw our relationship away about something so trivial.
    I think perhaps it isn't trivial to them, he wants to spend more time with you and perhaps he feels like you don't want to. Maybe he wants a lot more than just occasionally staying at each others places especially after five years? Either way it seems you both aren't in the same place so perhaps a clean break is what you need.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    I think perhaps it isn't trivial to them, he wants to spend more time with you and perhaps he feels like you don't want to. Maybe he wants a lot more than just occasionally staying at each others places especially after five years? Either way it seems you both aren't in the same place so perhaps a clean break is what you need.
    But I have told him that I would do this so it would work and improve our relationship. I can't get him to listen to me.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    But I have told him that I would do this so it would work and improve our relationship. I can't get him to listen to me.
    If not much has changed between you two in five years I can understand why it would be difficult for him to accept what you are saying. It might not do any good, but maybe you could try and have a very serious conversation along the lines of, i imagine after uni we would live together, in five years x and in ten years x, show you're serious about having a proper future together. And if you get nowhere with that, then you know you don't want the same things and that staying separated is the best thing for you both.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he wants you to move in with him or maybe something else is going on. You should talk to him

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.