Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What time to take the pill? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently taking the mini pill, cerazette, i take my pill at 10pm every night without fail. However, after reading a few things online i saw someone suggest that the best effectiveness of the mini pill is between 4-22 hours after taking it, therefore if you usually have sex at night (which i do) then you should take the pill earlier in the day? Just looking for some advice as to whether this info is correct and i should be taking my pill earlier in the day or not? Thanks! x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littledaisy)
    I am currently taking the mini pill, cerazette, i take my pill at 10pm every night without fail. However, after reading a few things online i saw someone suggest that the best effectiveness of the mini pill is between 4-22 hours after taking it, therefore if you usually have sex at night (which i do) then you should take the pill earlier in the day? Just looking for some advice as to whether this info is correct and i should be taking my pill earlier in the day or not? Thanks! x
    If the time it was taken made a difference then they would have to say so in the leaflet, speak to your doctor if you are concerned but i don't think that info is correct as by the way the pill works in trying to prevent ovulation and implantation it either works or it doesn't, there can't be an inbetween with that.

ReputationRep:
    I think its more to do with the fact that the mini pill (inc cerazette) don't actually prevent ovulation in EVERY cycle (or so i have been told), therefore the main way it prevents pregnancy is to thicken the mucus so sperm cannot get through, the 'optimum time' for the 'optimum mucus thickness' for 'optimum pregnancy prevention' is between 4-22 hours of taking the pill.

Wow, i really do a lot of research for someone of 18.

Thank you for your reply though, i think i will just continue to take it at my usual 10pm as that really is the best time for me, which is much more sensible than choosing a time which i may forget to take it at all!

X

ReputationRep:
    Just be consistent, and mindful whether it's had time for proper absorption, given other factors such as diarrhoea or vomiting.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think its more to do with the fact that the mini pill (inc cerazette) don't actually prevent ovulation in EVERY cycle (or so i have been told), therefore the main way it prevents pregnancy is to thicken the mucus so sperm cannot get through, the 'optimum time' for the 'optimum mucus thickness' for 'optimum pregnancy prevention' is between 4-22 hours of taking the pill.

Wow, i really do a lot of research for someone of 18.

Thank you for your reply though, i think i will just continue to take it at my usual 10pm as that really is the best time for me, which is much more sensible than choosing a time which i may forget to take it at all!

X
    I know it doesn't in every cycle but still either you ve got thick enough mucus or you haven't. They couldn't be telling people to take it at the same time daily if it didn't work well enough for a whole 24 hours, in fact they feel it's under 36 hours since it's okay to be under 12 hours late. stick to taking it when you know you ll remember to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Just be consistent, and mindful whether it's had time for proper absorption, given other factors such as diarrhoea or vomiting.
    When you say 'gove time for proper absorption' are you meaning leave enough hours between taking it and having sex?

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'gove time for proper absorption' are you meaning leave enough hours between taking it and having sex?
    No. Just follow the instructions in the pack, or google the instructions for whichever brand you have been prescribed. And if you've been unwell or had diarrhoea, this may have interrupted proper absorption, so follow the instructions regarding additional barrier protection until full contraceptive cover resumes.

ReputationRep:
    Proper absorption just means you don't vomit or have diarhea before the pill is absorbed into your body. Don't worry so much. You have 12 hours to take the pill without reducing your effectiveness at all so the time of the day will not make a significant difference. It's much more important to take it at a time when you will remember every day. I take my pill in the morning because I have an inhaler so I always take my pill at the same time as my asthma meds - then if I forgot my meds generally I'd know cos I would be wheezing!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.