Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

3 or 4 AS level qualifications. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Currently my college has the 4AS level policy, regarding students starting in September. I have been toying with the idea that it may be better for me to study 3 subjects rather than four.

I have attained A*AAAAAAAC at GCSE and would ideally like to attempt an application for a decent university. My idea is that I do 3 solid subjects in an attempt make a competitive application for University.

Current A level option choices:

History
    English Literature
    Philosophy and Ethics (RE)

I personally feel that if I put as much energy as I can into the three"solid" subjects above, I could match my GCSE results in the subjects. I am by no means a mathematician or scientist (My C grade was in Maths), so my fourth AS would have to be yet another humanities/essay based subject.

What is does everyone think about this? I would rather have AAA at AS than BBBB. Plus the college I am due to attend offers the EPQ qualification, so technically I will have an AS grade in something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piña colada)
    Currently my college has the 4AS level policy, regarding students starting in September. I have been toying with the idea that it may be better for me to study 3 subjects rather than four.

I have attained A*AAAAAAAC at GCSE and would ideally like to attempt an application for a decent university. My idea is that I do 3 solid subjects in an attempt make a competitive application for University.

Current A level option choices:

History
    English Literature
    Philosophy and Ethics (RE)

I personally feel that if I put as much energy as I can into the three"solid" subjects above, I could match my GCSE results in the subjects. I am by no means a mathematician or scientist (My C grade was in Maths), so my fourth AS would have to be yet another humanities/essay based subject.

What is does everyone think about this? I would rather have AAA at AS than BBBB. Plus the college I am due to attend offers the EPQ qualification, so technically I will have an AS grade in something.
    At university you might be dealing with 4 or 5 modules per semester + assignments, so that's why they want you to do 4 AS levels, to prepare you, if you want to go to university. Doing 4 AS's is standard and I don't know anyone who didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS levels this year, and I did 4. Like you I am more a humanities guy but I knew I wanted to do geography at university, so I presumed you had to have a mixture of science and humanities since geography is a mixture of that (I should of looked in to it !! > ).

I did history, geography, maths and physics.

History was very good and interesting but very hard work!

I enjoy geography so that wasn't a hassle.

But then we come to the science stuff. Maths is a very useful AS level, but it is tricky (moreso for me!) so if you aren't good at it I wouldn't recommend. Physics was absolutely ghastly. Wasted so much of my time, the teachers were awful, and despite loads of extra work on it etc. I know I still did poor in the exam. Combined with history, keeping on top of everything was very hard.

So why am I saying all this? Basically, make sure that all the subjects are ones you enjoy; the only reason I chose to do physics was because it was my best performing GCSE science exam and not because I liked it.

Make sure that they're not all really hard work (from my friends, english is busy but not too hard, and RE is fine). As I said, juggling 2 of the hardest AS level subjects (history and physics) was very strenuous and if I hadn't done physics I know I could of done a lot better at AS.

And yet, pick 4!!! I had no idea I would hate physics; if I had I wouldn't of picked it! Imagine if you can't stand one of the subjects you've picked, but because you've only picked 3 you can't drop it at the end of the year! Choosing 3 narrows your learning path down immensely, but from what I gather you don't really know what you want to do with your life yet!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I am siding with History, English Literature, Politics and Sociology/RE

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.