Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are north africans and middle eastern people trying to act like they're poc? lol Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanneblonde)
    and they've faced discrimination for centuries. some random Census by the Feds doesn't change that.
    I already responded to this the white race is not above discrimination. That does not mean they can't be white because people discriminate against them. If that were the case no one would be white because Hawaii is apart of America and white people have been discriminated there too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wōden)
    No they have not. There wasn't even any Arabs in the USA until the end of the 19th century, when a very small wave of migrants arrived from the Middle East, most of whom were Christian refugees from the crumbling Ottoman Empire. And I can't find any sources to suggest they face any notable oppression from the state or the wider public.

Large scale Arab immigration to the US is a very recent phenomenon, and even then the numbers are still pretty small. That's likely why they have never bothered to include "Arab" on the census.
    no actually arabs are included in the census. It specifically says white is anyone of origins with natives or European middle eastern or north African origins. They also are Caucasian in race. So technically yes they are white. Just like Ashkenazi jews are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    A lot of Arabs look/are white (controversial) but some are quite tanned looking even close to looking more black or half-black. I know an Iraqi who identifies as white. She easily passes as white. Genetically they're like Europeans though.
    I think what confused people is ignorance.... If you don't know much about skin types you really don't know what you are talking about. Tanned is not a natural complexion but rather a reaction from sun exposure. Skin types 3 and 4 are white. But they tan when exposed to the sun. They are called melanocompetent skin types. This type of skin tone benefits the middle east and north African people because of their environment. More than those with very fair skin types 1 and 2. Which have a high risk for skin cancer. Skin types 3 and 4 have moderate risks therefore can survive better in these environments. That's probably why arabs can tan better due to natural selection. Their skin is still white naturally but they aren't as susceptible to skin cancer therefore they tan easily rather than burn. White skin can burn or it can tan. White skin is not black skin no matter how much it tans. Black people have skin types 5 and 6. Which is naturally dark skin in unexposed skin. Unlike middle eastern arab and medittereanean people who have white skin when their skin is not exposed to the sun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Arabs are a varied group genetically. Some have blonde hair and blue eyes, most don't. Most Arabs wouldn't fit as white. Hell, even some Italians and Greeks aren't considered 'proper' white. Most Arabs are Mediterranean, neither white nor anything else.
    white is not considered just blonde hair and blue eyed. Mediterraneans are white. Especially in America. And if Italians aren't white neither are the French or german as many share genetically the same race...

Now you are describing Fitzpatrick scale skin types 1 and 2. But Caucasian skin types range up to skin types 3 and 4. Like I said due to mena peoples environment the ones with skin type 3 and 4 are more prevalent but they are still white. Especially according to genetic testing.

ReputationRep:
    if you look white then you're a white person or white passing POC

if you don't then you're a POC

nobody is going to ask you to do some bloody genetic testing to find out what percentage your whiteness is before they decide whether or not you are a white person or POC

if people cared about the specifics of what makes somebody a POC or a white person beyond the colour visible at the time of looking at them - and then let that control the concept of race instead of just the skin colour, the world would be a better place eg. "oh you're dark skinned, that's ok i'll put my racism aside seeing as your test results came back like this" :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia_)
    if you look white then you're a white person or white passing POC

if you don't then you're a POC

nobody is going to ask you to do some bloody genetic testing to find out what percentage your whiteness is before they decide whether or not you are a white person or POC

if people cared about the specifics of what makes somebody a POC or a white person beyond the colour visible at the time of looking at them - and then let that control the concept of race instead of just the skin colour, the world would be a better place eg. "oh you're dark skinned, that's ok i'll put my racism aside seeing as your test results came back like this" :curious:
    That's not how it works in America... There are plenty of black people here that look white. They still consider themselves black and so does our society. That's how it's been throughout our history.

With that said mena people were always seen as white in America and they have history in this country since the 1600's.... They've always been considered white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justme3991)
    That's not how it works in America... There are plenty of black people here that look white. They still consider themselves black and so does our society. That's how it's been throughout our history.

With that said mena people were always seen as white in America and they have history in this country since the 1600's.... They've always been considered white.

ya obviously the person themselves considers themselves a POC, never disputed that, I'm talking about the labels imposed by others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia_)
    ya obviously the person themselves considers themselves a POC, never disputed that, I'm talking about the labels imposed by others
    imo when it comes the mena people they are only labeled that way because of their behavbior. And white people aren't just decent people they're monsters too. They can be terrorists too. They can come from war torn countries too. They can have a nonwestern culture too. This does not negate someone from being white. Mena people are clearly white people who have a moderate risk for skin cancer instead of a high one like fair skinned white people have. They are still white people all in all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobleLeather)
    Arabs describe each other as white if their skin color is white or tanned if their skin color is tanned. They don't call Europeans white or refer to them as such as that would be confusing. They just call them "Westerners". Whiteness is not exclusive to Europeans.
    Yes this is true actually, but we do have a mindset that westerns also mean white. And no matter how white arabs are, we are still called brown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rockitty99)
    Yes this is true actually, but we do have a mindset that westerns also mean white. And no matter how white arabs are, we are still called brown.
    In America, it's obviously got to do with the things that have happened with the turn of the century. Because in America there was no question you guys were white generally speaking. No one batted an eye with you guys being considered white anymore than Italians being white lol.

I understand in England and maybe north Europe like Scandinavia thinking you're not "white". But they just mean you're not Swedish or English. Out here in America we have all kinds of white so it's different. But since the terrorism that's when mena people started being called poc. And I don't like that as a poc because that implies white people can only be associated with people that white people have less negative stereotypes against. Which doesn't determine race. But feeds into the idea that the white race is only for "better" people. Which is truly offensive.

ReputationRep:
    I think what confused people is ignorance.... If you don't know much about skin types you really don't know what you are talking about. Tanned is not a natural complexion but rather a reaction from sun exposure. Skin types 3 and 4 are white. But they tan when exposed to the sun. They are called melanocompetent skin types. This type of skin tone benefits the middle east and north African people because of their environment. More than those with very fair skin types 1 and 2. Which have a high risk for skin cancer. Skin types 3 and 4 have moderate risks therefore can survive better in these environments. That's probably why arabs can tan better due to natural selection. Their skin is still white naturally but they aren't as susceptible to skin cancer therefore they tan easily rather than burn. White skin can burn or it can tan. White skin is not black skin no matter how much it tans. Black people have skin types 5 and 6. Which is naturally dark skin in unexposed skin. Unlike middle eastern arab and medittereanean people who have white skin when their skin is not exposed to the sun.
    I understand your point but some people (including Arabs) look naturally tanned (olive skinned) even without sun exposure. That's their natural skin tone. I used the word "tanned" to describe their skin colour. Not all Arabs are naturally white but genetically they are close to Eurpoeans.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your point but some people (including Arabs) look naturally tanned (olive skinned) even without sun exposure. That's their natural skin tone. I used the word "tanned" to describe their skin colour. Not all Arabs are naturally white but genetically they are close to Eurpoeans.

look up the Fitzpatrick skin type scale. skin type 3 and 4 are tanned Caucasian skin tones. The skin tone in arabs and north Africans is very similar to southern Europeans. Which you can call "tanned" but it's still white. Black skin types are 5 and 6.

Look it up first then come back.

ReputationRep:
    look up the Fitzpatrick skin type scale. skin type 3 and 4 are tanned Caucasian skin tones. The skin tone in arabs and north Africans is very similar to southern Europeans. Which you can call "tanned" but it's still white. Black skin types are 5 and 6.

Look it up first then come back.
    I have already. I actually learnt this for a project. The scale seems very simplistic when I last checked. Not necessarily, I know Moroccans and even my friend who is Egyptian has family whose skin tones are similar to mine (I'm black).I have a medium skin tone in terms of a black person. I do not and cannot pass as Southern European in terms of skin tone. I think it's clear you've lost this argument. It's sort of expanded into a conversation in what racial groups Arabs are and their genetics.

ReputationRep:
    I have already. I actually learnt this for a project. The scale seems very simplistic when I last checked. Not necessarily, I know Moroccans and even my friend who is Egyptian has family whose skin tones are similar to mine (I'm black).I have a medium skin tone in terms of a black person. I do not and cannot pass as Southern European in terms of skin tone. I think it's clear you've lost this argument. It's sort of expanded into a conversation in what racial groups Arabs are and their genetics.
    no I already said a black person can have a skin type 4. I myself do. That does not make me white. My heritage determines that. Light skinned black people are still black just like the Igbo Africans are black. It's clearly you're not even aware that black people vary in color so are you even black yourself? If you are. You're clearly ignorant about your own race. Let alone about white people.

ReputationRep:
    no I already said a black person can have a skin type 4. I myself do. That does not make me white. My heritage determines that. Light skinned black people are still black just like the Igbo Africans are black. It's clearly you're not even aware that black people vary in color so are you even black yourself? If you are. You're clearly ignorant about your own race. Let alone about white people.
    Good deflection. Nowhere did I imply that. The point still stands that Arab people don't necessarily have "white skin" or pass as Southern European which you implied/mentioned in your last post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hateocracy)
    What jamaican herb have you been smoking that makes you think north africans are white?
    Because technically Arabs are members of the Caucasian race, same as all European tribes.
    Haven't all of you guys learned this at school?!

I mean it's really funny .
    It's very usefull. Police is sometimes reluctant to investigate cases against PoC people, to avoid accusation of racial hatred motivation. It also makes the cases tricky in courts.

ReputationRep:
    I could quote your last post. But I never said that I said they havew the same skin type which they do and so do light skinned black people for that matter.

But ti's clear you're totally ignorant about black people as you didn't even know some of us are naturally light skinned and have a skin type 4 just like some southern Europeans and mena people

ReputationRep:
    I could quote your last post. But I never said that I said they havew the same skin type which they do and so do light skinned black people for that matter.

But ti's clear you're totally ignorant about black people as you didn't even know some of us are naturally light skinned and have a skin type 4 just like some southern Europeans and mena people
    So dark skinned Arabs have the same skin type as Southern Europeans. Even if their skin tone is the same as a medium tone black person? Fair enough but that scale seems far too simplistic. Instead of calling me ignorant you should be thanking me for deciding to keep your thread still trending for this long.

ReputationRep:
    Just this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(...ategorization)

Or better yet, go to library.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The **** did I just read

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.