Why do young people vote Conservative? Watch

This discussion is closed.
dj1406
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Most "young" people (e.g. age 18-25) seem to vote Labour.

What are the reasons for some "young" people voting Conservative?

I'm centrist tbh - wish I could pick and chose policies form both parties.

Any "young" tories want to tell me why they vote Conservative?
DarthRoar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cause they don't royally **** up the economy by handing out free everything.
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dj1406)

As long as Corbyn is leader, I could never vote Labour.
Ladymusiclover
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anti-Corbyn.
an_atheist
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because they dont live in a dream world where there are no consequences or costs for our actions. It would be great to have no tuition fees and a large amount more spent on public services, but where the hell is the money meant to come from to pay for it?
Pickell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Young people would vote for whomever they like because it is their preference! Just because someone is young, it doesn't mean they have to vote Labour just because the demographics seem to be a particular way.

To answer your question, I for one would vote Conservatives (although I see my self more as a Libertarian than Conservative) due to the fact that the UK has not yet recovered fully from the recession and we still carry the burden of debt and deficit. In order to resolve these issues the last thing we need is 'free this, free that' or increased taxes on the rich - we need to stimulate spending and we need lower taxes to encourage spending and investment.
Whiskey&Freedom
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Young conservative voters are defined by their high IQ, high attainment in education and work ethic. Young Labour supporters are lazy, choose to be poor and expect hand outs from the government.
Withengar
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because the ability to check a little box on a piece of paper has no relation to intelligence, critical thinking skills or compassion for others.

As numerous research models have clearly demonstrated, the less educated and the more religious an individual is, the more likely they're to vote for right-wing parties, despite it being against their best interests. The nationalistic, jingoistic, regressive, morally bankrupt and unsound policies of the right-wing only pander to the lowest common denominator, the poor, falsely aspiring millionaire who is perpetually sniffing out anyone who can rob them of their alleged future millionaire status. The class of unashamed primitives whose only "claim to fame" is that they're white and native-born. The kind of people who constantly blame group X or Y for stealing their jobs; when in reality, they have neither developed skills for it or searched for one. The kind of cretins who keep perpetuating their collective psychosis by claiming they are living in the best country there is, despite being left behind by countries such as Germany in every major metric.
Jasaron
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
Myth.

The Blair and Brown government didn't **** up the economy. It was the Financial Crash, over twenty years in the making, which ****ed it up. Prior to the crash, they'd run the economy incredibly well, particularly after the unemployment left behind by the Thatcher and Major years. In addition to this, the Conservatives backed Labour spending, with Osbourne in opposition pledging to spend EVEN MORE than Labour. Brown got government debt down to a record low in 2001 after a first term of being tightfisted.

While I don't particularly believe that any government has absolute control over the economy, and even New Labour was helped massively in the pre-2007 years by luck, I totally reject the idea that Labour ****ed up the economy. The Tories would have had to bail the banks out too, if they were in power.
dj1406
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Whiskey&Freedom That's prejudice and unhelpful.

I went to Cambridge and the student population was mostly - unlike myself - Labour. I wouldn't say any of them were lazy, chose to be poor or expected hand outs from the government. I would regard them as being characterised by a high IQ, high attainment in education and work ethic.

I'm interested in policies (though I admit my OP may have not made that clear). It seems from the above posts that the main reason young people vote Conservative is that "they aren't Labour".
Jasaron
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by dj1406)

I think lots of young people are put off by conservative social policy. Gay marriage, no-fault divorce and being pro-choice (abortion) are all things which a lot of young people - in my experience - are in favour of.

The Tories also fail to appeal to many young people, having put up tuition fees and scrapped the maintenance grant in favour of keeping pensions locked. The party's association with austerity doesn't help either.
username3456172
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
Young conservative voters are defined by their high IQ, high attainment in education and work ethic. Young Labour supporters are lazy, choose to be poor and expect hand outs from the government.
Based.
Stoptherot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a weird case , I will never vote Tory or Lib Dem , if labour have a shocking leader-I vote UKIP or BNP out of protest, you probably consider my choice as worse
RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)
The financial crash was not caused by Labour, it was caused by the deregulation of the financial sector which originally began under Thatcher, though Blair chose to continue with that policy (while the Conservatives in opposition wanted him to go even further).

The financial crash would absolutely still have happened if a Conservative government was in power. Labour just happened to be in power at the time when it all blew up.
Dot.Cotton
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because they have a brain and don't fall for the far-left brainwashing that goes on in schools and universities.
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm also like you (only 17 though btw). I believe both parties have some good policies however in my view:

Labour seems to want to dosh out money we don't have and I find that they're too lenient on the less wealthy.

Conservatives however are conservative? They make too many cuts and are way too harsh on the poor and way too lenient on the rich.

If I had the opportunity to vote however in the recent election, I would have voted conservative. Labour is too risky and has a higher chance of dumping our country into sh*t (again).
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
If I had the opportunity to vote however in the recent election, I would have voted conservative. Labour is too risky and has a higher chance of dumping our country into sh*t (again).
Just scroll up a little bit, and see why it wasn't Labour's fault that the country was hit by a financial crash
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, for a start, I wouldn't vote for an unreformed Marxist who supported the IRA in their fight against the United Kingdom, made common cause with numerous terrorist groups and hailed failed states as examples for us to follow.

I don't have any great problem with the Labour Party when it is sensible. At the moment, it is not. If I was able to vote in, say, 2005, I may well have given Labour a chance. In 1997, I would've favoured John Major - a vastly underrated PM - but the IDS and Michael Howards of this world didn't deserve to be Prime Minister. I've voted Lib Dem before, many years ago, on pro-European instinct alone.

Now, I am a Conservative voter. I am by no means impressed by Theresa May - I've always disliked her quite intensely, but was willing to give her a chance, which she has blown. But I believe that free markets have given us the vast majority of advances we have seen in our society in modern times: it is a tried and proven system, meanwhile the utopianists out there seem to constantly have to excuse why their ideological projects have always failed whenever they have been put into practice around the world. Virtually since I have been able to vote, David Cameron was leader of the Conservatives - and a man whose political instincts I sincerely trusted.

I suppose I'm a centrist and a moderate on the basis that I don't believe there are quick and easy solutions to complex problems. I'm not a dogmatic ideologue: I believe in progressive change not radical revolutions, I believe in evidence-based policymaking, I reject the politics of division and identity.

I'm also Scottish. Which puts things in a slightly different light. In Scotland, the Conservatives are by far the strongest voice for preserving Scotland's place in the United Kingdom. First off, I dislike nationalism (including when it is seen in my own party) - but significantly, Scottish nationalism would impoverish Scotland for the sake of flag-waving jingoism. There is a constant threat from our devolved government to try to break up the UK, and rejection of that is a pretty key part of my politics.
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because the Liberal Democrats aren't sufficiently libertarian
username1738683
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RF_PineMarten)
The financial crash was not caused by Labour, it was caused by the deregulation of the financial sector which originally began under Thatcher, though Blair chose to continue with that policy (while the Conservatives in opposition wanted him to go even further).

The financial crash would absolutely still have happened if a Conservative government was in power. Labour just happened to be in power at the time when it all blew up.
Thatcher had nothing to do with the 2008 bust, she was in fact quite mindful of expansionist monetary policies and would have never approved of the splurge in digital money initiated in the US by the big banks. With Bush in power, they managed to have it all deregulated to the point of no return. It was dutifully imported by Brown, a Chancellor whose economic policies were firstly concerned with his prospects of the Premiership. It was under Labour that the banking industry broke loose as it did in this country, it would have been the same under the Conservatives indeed but aren't Labour supposed to be... different?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (85)
13.34%
1 (86)
13.5%
2 (83)
13.03%
19.31%
21.98%
18.84%

Watched Threads