work hard.
    and work smart.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AIkbal)
    Specifically for bio, chem and maths.
    Maths past papers and maybe learn ahead
    For chem read chemrevise notes ahead of time to prepare for class so u understand everything. Do this throughout the two years and ull be fine for those 2
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Do all of the questions. Textbook , past papers (for different boards if the specs are similar) & madas maths q's
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AIkbal)
    Specifically for bio, chem and maths.
    Get 90 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    Just revise init

ReputationRep:
    as you can see..most people here r very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Learn the specification. Remember that the examiners will not ask from your book, but they will ask from the specification so stress on the specification and the book.
    In science, you have to always ask why and how regarding any information you learn, this will not only enhance your understanding but also help to broaden your scope.

I can not stress enough the importance of making notes of the information in the book. Writing stuff down will help you to memorise and discover any statements which are not that obvious when reading. Notes will also help when you need to revise one month before the exams.

Now you're moving to A Levels, this is serious stuff, you should start studying from the summer vacations, make out a study plan and start. You dont need to finish it all in 1 month so take your time to understand your concepts and dont move on until you've completely understood a concept.
    Use online resources eg www.chemguide.com and www.khanacademy.com , I'm sure you can look for others.
    You can also check out books at the school library. Multiple resources are always better than one.

Pastpapers, don't wait until the end of the year to do them. as soon as you finish 1-2 topics in your book, do the questions in the past papers related to those topics and leave the last 3 years in the past papers to be done 1-2 months before the exam as full mock exams with time limit and everything. Analyse any mistakes you have made while solving past papers and mention them in your notes. Use the examiner reports, they can give you good model answers.

Concentrating in class is important as teachers will give useful information. Try to read and understand a topic before its taught in class, this way that class will be like a revision for you and you will grasp concepts better. You can't concentrate in class if you don't get sufficient sleep (8 hours recommended).

Regarding Maths, on www.physicsandmathstutor.com you will find Solomon Papers and Gold Papers you can do those after you are done with your past papers. Solomon Papers will help to further your understanding and test you to your limits.

Don't procrastinate. The exams will be upon you before you know it.

Good luck and go conquer those exams!

You can PM me if you have any further questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helping Hand 555)
    Learn the specification. Remember that the examiners will not ask from your book, but they will ask from the specification so stress on the specification and the book.
    In science, you have to always ask why and how regarding any information you learn, this will not only enhance your understanding but also help to broaden your scope.

I can not stress enough the importance of making notes of the information in the book. Writing stuff down will help you to memorise and discover any statements which are not that obvious when reading. Notes will also help when you need to revise one month before the exams.

Now you're moving to A Levels, this is serious stuff, you should start studying from the summer vacations, make out a study plan and start. You dont need to finish it all in 1 month so take your time to understand your concepts and dont move on until you've completely understood a concept.
    Use online resources eg www.chemguide.com and www.khanacademy.com , I'm sure you can look for others.
    You can also check out books at the school library. Multiple resources are always better than one.

Pastpapers, don't wait until the end of the year to do them. as soon as you finish 1-2 topics in your book, do the questions in the past papers related to those topics and leave the last 3 years in the past papers to be done 1-2 months before the exam as full mock exams with time limit and everything. Analyse any mistakes you have made while solving past papers and mention them in your notes. Use the examiner reports, they can give you good model answers.

Concentrating in class is important as teachers will give useful information. Try to read and understand a topic before its taught in class, this way that class will be like a revision for you and you will grasp concepts better. You can't concentrate in class if you don't get sufficient sleep (8 hours recommended).

Regarding Maths, on www.physicsandmathstutor.com you will find Solomon Papers and Gold Papers you can do those after you are done with your past papers. Solomon Papers will help to further your understanding and test you to your limits.

Don't procrastinate. The exams will be upon you before you know it.

Good luck and go conquer those exams!

You can PM me if you have any further questions.
    Im not sure about the past paper advice, with the new spec there like 2-3 past papers to do, and the old spec is pretty different, what I would reccomend is using different boards papers i.e AQA physics A is similar to OCR A physics. So maybe just make sure you have at least 2 papers left for end of year revision.

Edit: for chemistry past papers arent needed as much but for new spec maths youre better off saving them. For chem make sure u keep up calculations and practice a lot as well as reading chemrevise notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Get 90 UMS.
    Sorry mate, UMS doesn't exist anymore for those subjects
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Oh?

RIP UMS...

ReputationRep:
    Oh?

RIP UMS...
    Yeah. I loved UMS. You could tell your parents you got full marks even though you only got 67/72 or something

It's just raw mark grade boundaries now due to qualifications being linear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Needchemhlp)
    Im not sure about the past paper advice, with the new spec there like 2-3 past papers to do, and the old spec is pretty different, what I would reccomend is using different boards papers i.e AQA physics A is similar to OCR A physics. So maybe just make sure you have at least 2 papers left for end of year revision.

Edit: for chemistry past papers arent needed as much but for new spec maths youre better off saving them. For chem make sure u keep up calculations and practice a lot as well as reading chemrevise notes
    Damnit! my bad, I have actually finished AL and I had totally forgotten about the specification (syllabus) change

ReputationRep:
    UMS has always existed for exams and will continue to do so forever. The only difference now though is that you are not told your UMS marks.

Attachment 675074

ReputationRep:
    Oh?

RIP UMS...
    UMS still exists, obviously. They just don't tell you how much you got.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    UMS has always existed for exams and will continue to do so forever. The only difference now though is that you are not told your UMS marks.
    What's the use of using UMS for a linear qualification?

ReputationRep:
    What's the use of using UMS for a linear qualification?
    The point of UMS is to have a standard reference for each grade. So 90 UMS is always an A*, 80 UMS is always an A etc.

In this way, they can account for variable difficulties in different exam seasons and standardise performances across the country.

If only raw marks were given, then a mark of, say, 80% would be worth more some years than others because the papers were easier or harder, but 80% UMS is worth the same no matter what the exam season.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.