Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've heard that you are unlikely to be chosen for retail jobs if you have good grades, thus you are "overqualified". I've thought about it and realised every single person I know that has a job in retail isn't very smart academically. It would also make sense since I read employers don't go for smart people as they're more likely to move onto better jobs and may also find some of the work "beneath them".
    Currently my cv says: 11 A*-C including mathematics (A*) and English language (A). I've been advised to change it to 5 A*-C including English and maths. Do you guys agree? Is there anyone here with top grades and still has a job in retail, or has found it very difficult to secure one?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Every job I've held in retail has had tons of University students. Your GCSE grades do not make you over qualified.

ReputationRep:
    I work at Tesco, I got 1A* 4As 5Bs. Pretty much everyone at my Tesco is a retard, a couple of em have degrees ( law at Staffordshire, biomed at Keele).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 20320452)
    Hi,

I've heard that you are unlikely to be chosen for retail jobs if you have good grades, thus you are "overqualified". I've thought about it and realised every single person I know that has a job in retail isn't very smart academically. It would also make sense since I read employers don't go for smart people as they're more likely to move onto better jobs and may also find some of the work "beneath them".
    Currently my cv says: 11 A*-C including mathematics (A*) and English language (A). I've been advised to change it to 5 A*-C including English and maths. Do you guys agree? Is there anyone here with top grades and still has a job in retail, or has found it very difficult to secure one?
    Lol, this is simply untrue. I've been able to get part-time work with an undergraduate degree and a master's on my CV..

ReputationRep:
    I had simialr grades to you an had no problem getting shop jobs and stuff, they know most people leave those jobs pretty quickly and will prefer someone who can think for themselves so you're not at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    I got my current job (barwork and waitressing) whilst also having a degree so getting moderate-good GCSE's won't hinder you at all

Some places don't like taking on uni students as they're generally only home at Christmas/for the summer but that's nothing to do with their prior qualifications

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.