Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is it too late to improve sprinting speed in your 30's? Watch

Is 34 (and being female) too old to improve sprinting speed? By improving I mean knocking 1 or 2 seconds off the 100m time and just being a decent athletic club runner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is 34 (and being female) too old to improve sprinting speed? By improving I mean knocking 1 or 2 seconds off the 100m time and just being a decent athletic club runner?
    There's exceptions to everything but generally 34 is knocking on a bit. Depending on your talent/local athletic club you might have a chance. You've nothing to lose by trying!! Good luck!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Never too late. What's your current time?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, you're never too old to improve!

(Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Never too late. What's your current time?
    Its slow at tje moment something like 14.8 but im going to lose some weight. Id just like to get under 14 seconds. I know in competitions people are getting 12 and 13 seconds but id like to be able to keep up with the ones at the back rather than being left right behind. I also train abit for 5k distance but ive no stamina naturally ive always had a little more power/speed than endurance. Ive devised a training schedule consisting if weight training, plyometric and sprints. One of the coaches thinks my best event is 100m hurdles he said i have a fast leg turnover but i secretly think he's abit loopy.

ReputationRep:
    Its slow at tje moment something like 14.8 but im going to lose some weight. Id just like to get under 14 seconds. I know in competitions people are getting 12 and 13 seconds but id like to be able to keep up with the ones at the back rather than being left right behind. I also train abit for 5k distance but ive no stamina naturally ive always had a little more power/speed than endurance. Ive devised a training schedule consisting if weight training, plyometric and sprints. One of the coaches thinks my best event is 100m hurdles he said i have a fast leg turnover but i secretly think he's abit loopy.
    Since your current time is not that amazing I think you could easily improve it by training more

(Original post by lulno)
    Since your current time is not that amazing I think you could easily improve it by training more
    2 years ago i got a pb of 14.4 lol with a bit of training id joined a sprint group (i do t bother with blocks though)but imnot sure how much i could improve by if i got 3.9 id be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anon - I am a long-time member of an athletics club and trained every day for years before starting uni. It's dropped off a bit since, and my background was distance rather than sprinting, but I am still a huge track nerd and am qualified to answer your question.It depends on what you mean by

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smavillage)
    Hi Anon - I am a long-time member of an athletics club and trained every day for years before starting uni. It's dropped off a bit since, and my background was distance rather than sprinting, but I am still a huge track nerd and am qualified to answer your question.It depends on what you mean by
    Oh for the love of *******s the goddamn forum just sliced off a really long post for the love of god Jesus Christ
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Oh for the love of *******s the goddamn forum just sliced off a really long post for the love of god Jesus Christ
    You got to the finish line too quickly...

Ha, its ok, thanks for replying. Maybe to save you typing it all out again maybe you could just briefly summarise what you said in bullet points. Dont worry about it though, get some sleep its nearly midnight!

ReputationRep:
    2 years ago i got a pb of 14.4 lol with a bit of training id joined a sprint group (i do t bother with blocks though)but imnot sure how much i could improve by if i got 3.9 id be happy.
    I don't know you so I have no idea what your physique is like, but I would assume just gaining muscle would go a long way.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The world record for a 35yo woman is 10.74secs, so yup there's room for improvement

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ters_athletics

(Merlene Ottey seems to be owning the masters age group records....)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.