Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Hi guys,

I'm going to be starting on vascular surgery as my first FY1 rotation. It's a speciality that wasn't taught much in medical school, nor did I have much experience on a vascular ward, so quite nervous about starting. Does anybody have any tips or advice about what to expect, or things I should read up on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

I'm going to be starting on vascular surgery as my first FY1 rotation. It's a speciality that wasn't taught much in medical school, nor did I have much experience on a vascular ward, so quite nervous about starting. Does anybody have any tips or advice about what to expect, or things I should read up on?
    It depends a little on what sort of hospital you'll be in. Vascular in a DGH will be different to vascular in a tertiary centre that also covers cardiothoracics.

It'd be wise to revise the exams you do for peripheral arterial and venous disease, features of arterial and venous ulcers, and management of diabetes (a large number of vascular patients are diabetics) as well as the NICE guidelines for peripheral vascular disease/angiography.

Consider the implications of open vs endovascular aneurysm repair, including the difference between suprarenal and infrarenal stents, and therefore investigation and management of acute kidney injury post aneurysm repair. Spinal perfusion and spinal drains will be important if you work in a tertiary centre, as well as investigation and management of motor weakness post EVAR.

(Original post by Spencer Wells)
    It depends a little on what sort of hospital you'll be in. Vascular in a DGH will be different to vascular in a tertiary centre that also covers cardiothoracics.

It'd be wise to revise the exams you do for peripheral arterial and venous disease, features of arterial and venous ulcers, and management of diabetes (a large number of vascular patients are diabetics) as well as the NICE guidelines for peripheral vascular disease/angiography.

Consider the implications of open vs endovascular aneurysm repair, including the difference between suprarenal and infrarenal stents, and therefore investigation and management of acute kidney injury post aneurysm repair. Spinal perfusion and spinal drains will be important if you work in a tertiary centre, as well as investigation and management of motor weakness post EVAR.
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I'll be based in a DGH. Thanks for the guidance, I'll be sure to refresh knowledge on the above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spencer Wells)

Anything you'd add to this for CT1 Vascular DGH with no prev vasc experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Anything you'd add to this for CT1 Vascular DGH with no prev vasc experience?
    Learn where the Doppler is located on the vascular ward/clinic, and make best friends with whoever does angiography and duplex scans, as well as the podiatrists, who may refer patients directly to you. If you do carotids in your centre then see if they have a protocol for carotid blowout and make sure you know it because there won't be time to look it up if one happens on your watch.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi guys,

Sorry I can't be much help but i'm getting goosebumps thinking about your rotation <3. Enjoy it like a child would at a sweat shop lool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    Enjoy it like a child would at a sweat shop lool
    Like a child in a sweat shop is a pretty good analogy for being a junior doctor in the NHS.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.