Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

is there a difference between dating someone and going out with someone? And does it mean they're gf/bf (or bf/bf or gf/gf)

ReputationRep:
    Theres a big difference. Difference between ice and fire, thought everybody knew that
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    is there a difference between dating someone and going out with someone? And does it mean they're gf/bf (or bf/bf or gf/gf)
    Idk but I'm interested in knowing this also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm sure you've gone out shopping with your mum before...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There can be, depends on how the person uses the words.

Imo either could both mean two means. Could either mean you've went out on a couple dates and are just seeing where things go or could mean you are bf/gf. You can probably use both of those words for both of those definitions so depends on a case by case basis probably. I would say its more likely that "going out" means bf/gf

ReputationRep:
    The term 'going out' is subjective. Contextual to the point where it can vastly differ from person to person.

It can either mean the same as 'dating' in an informal manner, or it could be, the simple act of meeting up with a person and doing something.

when i mean going out, i mean it in the sense that 'x' is going out with 'y', if y'all get me?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think these are used interchangeably anyway.

ReputationRep:
    People use the term 'dating' and 'date' too loosely these days

*meets for coffee*
    'Oh I'm dating'
    No you ain't hunnay 🙄

ReputationRep:
    Don't they mean the same thing :confused:?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2017
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.