Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Would love to hear some advice on how to tackle 2nd year at uni. I heard that most people tend to get internships, so couple of questions:
    What if you wouldn't manage to get internship?
    When to start looking for the internships?
    Apart from internship is there anything else I should be thinking about?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeveloperCSS)
    Would love to hear some advice on how to tackle 2nd year at uni. I heard that most people tend to get internships, so couple of questions:
    What if you wouldn't manage to get internship?
    I assume you mean a year-long placement. If you don't get one then aim for a summer internship, which will fall between your 2nd and 3rd years.

When to start looking for the internships?
    The earlier the better, as soon as applications are open, you should start applying.

Here's a good place to start.
    https://www.ratemyplacement.co.uk/

Apart from internship is there anything else I should be thinking about?
    Summer internship perhaps? You should also start to draft ideas for your final year dissertation. Note, this is just drafting ideas, you don't have to start this early on it.

Also focus on managing your time between applying for internships and your module content. Many students lose track of time and put in all their efforts into finding a job, then end up falling short of the grades to pass the module.

ReputationRep:
    1) Then work on something that relates to your career interest. It can be a personal project that you can then show off as a portfolio work (provided its relevant to the jobs you're interested in). Also if you are doing a 4-year course or considering a master's course then you can do another internship in that year (or summer) also.

2) I'd say keep your eyes open all the time. If you apply and it works out but you change your mind, you have the freedom to choose when you have options. Also, just because the position is open doesn't mean they'll have you start right away. If you like a placement call them up and ask if they will take for summer period etc.

3) I'm sort of tying into (1) again but more reading / learning about the topics you're interested in working in. Some people claim 2nd year is harder, I'd say it's more of the same. Don't forget about your university studies of course.

Any other 2nd year concerns on your mind?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.