Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Walking home alone Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't always get a cab, it's a lot of money! I usually look down whilst i'm walking during the daytime but you can't do it when it gets dark. You gotta be aware of your surroundings. Just walk hella fast and idk. SPRINT as fast as you can and omg dont listen to music.. its bare dangerous at night. Mayne i gots to wear a mask in case someone throws something at me. It's not just humans you need to be careful of. Animals too! These rats that might come outta nowhere and bite your nose off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mine turtle)
    I used to do this quite a bit at uni, some times I had no choice, but now I'm thinking what was I thinking, that was really unsafe. Nothing ever happened, but I once did get lost in an unfamiliar area after which I said I'd never do that again. I did do it again after uni even, but now I'm thinking stop, it only takes one bad trip.

It's at earlier hours than at uni, and it wasn't completely dark when setting off but still. I don't bring my phone out (although in some cases I need to do a route check) or listen to music and am hyper-aware of my surroundings and I keep moving. Thing is this last time I was perfectly capable of getting a cab, had the money and the phone, but I was only travelling 30 minutes. Now I'm mentally debating what I should have done. Was student me a genius and young adult me overreacting?

Is it ever safe to walk home or should you always get a cab. I know if I had kids I'd tell them, if it's dark/almost dark get a cab so perhaps I should follow my own advice. What's hour opinion?
    Always get a cab. But even some taxi drivers can be dodgy so its best to use someone you know.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you're out walking at night, male or female, always stick to a main road if you can. Do NOT take short cuts through parks and alleyways.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emerald7770)
    I can't always get a cab, it's a lot of money! I usually look down whilst i'm walking during the daytime but you can't do it when it gets dark. You gotta be aware of your surroundings. Just walk hella fast and idk. SPRINT as fast as you can and omg dont listen to music.. its bare dangerous at night. Mayne i gots to wear a mask in case someone throws something at me. It's not just humans you need to be careful of. Animals too! These rats that might come outta nowhere and bite your nose off.
    You got low confidence or??
    • Very Important Poster

Actually I used to walk home a lot at night, but it depends where you live. It is quite peaceful.
    If you are female, then you might think again, but I think its a lot less dangerous for men.

As mentioned above take a route where you know other people will see you, well lit if possible.
    The key is to use your brain and stay alert. That means looking in front and behind you.Late at night you identify who else is out and if they look like potential trouble, then I might keep an eye on them or cross the road or avoid doing anything antagonistic. Being able to assess people this way gives you confidence based on experience that you can reduce the risk considerably.

Never had a problem and you just see people walking their dogs.

ReputationRep:
    I used to do this quite a bit at uni, some times I had no choice, but now I'm thinking what was I thinking, that was really unsafe. Nothing ever happened, but I once did get lost in an unfamiliar area after which I said I'd never do that again. I did do it again after uni even, but now I'm thinking stop, it only takes one bad trip.

It's at earlier hours than at uni, and it wasn't completely dark when setting off but still. I don't bring my phone out (although in some cases I need to do a route check) or listen to music and am hyper-aware of my surroundings and I keep moving. Thing is this last time I was perfectly capable of getting a cab, had the money and the phone, but I was only travelling 30 minutes. Now I'm mentally debating what I should have done. Was student me a genius and young adult me overreacting?

Is it ever safe to walk home or should you always get a cab. I know if I had kids I'd tell them, if it's dark/almost dark get a cab so perhaps I should follow my own advice. What's your opinion?
    Being born and raised in a shithole you toughen up more mentally and physically. I walk home from an area (Dudley) where there is mass stabbings which is around 3 miles from home sometimes at 1 or 2am i do this on almost a weekly basis after going to the pub, i have only had to really defend myself once
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:

Is it ever safe to walk home or should you always get a cab. I know if I had kids I'd tell them, if it's dark/almost dark get a cab so perhaps I should follow my own advice. What's your opinion?
    I'm male. I only care, because it was brought to my attention, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist
    Male or female it's really not a great idea to walk home alone late at night, especially if you have had any alcohol at all. Definitely get an uber/taxi. Or walk with a friend.

It only takes one incident to change your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Male or female it's really not a great idea to walk home alone late at night, especially if you have had any alcohol at all. Definitely get an uber/taxi. Or walk with a friend.

It only takes one incident to change your life.
    I do exactly that i do after drinking 8-10 pints of beer- i must have a death wish

ReputationRep:
    I'm not worried about being attacked, the chances of it happening are incredibly low in the grand scheme.

However I often get cabs because I'm lazy :lazy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    What are you even scared of man? Getting jumped, mugged, killed? If it makes you feel safer just take a cab. But paranoia won't get you very far in life, forget about the "what-ifs" and be a little more brave
    Paranoia is bad, but you need to think about your own safety

ReputationRep:
    Most people are nice though

ReputationRep:
    Depends where I was walking. I wouldn't take any dark alleys/parks etc late at night in the dark. I wouldn't be concerned about walking through normal, lit neighbourhoods unless I knew the area was particularly dodgy. It's generally a good idea to stay pretty aware though and don't walk with music in or anything so you are aware of your surroundings, make sure someone knows you're leaving/will check you got home if it's really late.

ReputationRep:
    I bet all my money that you're a girl. As a guy you never really care about this shít

Spoiler:
    Show

Unless you're a pansy

Damn it I'm a pansy. Oh well at least I'm unlikely to ever get mugged or attacked, since I'd never walk around in public areas at night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    Damn it I'm a pansy. Oh well at least I'm unlikely to ever get mugged or attacked, since I'd never walk around in public areas at night.
    I'm lucky enough to live in a safe area which is only 10 minutes away from my old ends. Literally yesterday someone got shot there, whereas in my current area nothing ever happens. I can walk home at around 3 am without any fear

ReputationRep:
    You got low confidence or??
    no i just like to look down

ReputationRep:

I work in Cyber security and we have something called risk appetite i.e. nothing is 100% safe 100% of the time, so what level of risk can you live with?

Also consider possible vs feasible. It's possible I could have a piano dropped on me. However as the street I walk down to get to my car has no windows a piano could fit out off, and there are no cranes near the street, it's highly unlikely to happen.

So assess your walking commute. How visible are you when you walk? Can people see you okay as they drive past you?

Is there a lot of crime in your area where individuals have been targeted?

Have you considered what to do if someone did confront you? Are you fit enough to run away? Do you do parkour/free-running (seriously, it was originally designed in part to escape those very sorts of situations). Do you know the area well enough to know where you should/should not run to to get away?

For personal physical security, I always recommend Gavin De Becker. In particular I'd recommend the Gift of Fear . Fantastic practical book about keeping safe, awareness of bad situations, avoidance and responses to those situations.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...e_Gift_of_Fear

If you realistically feel it's too much risk, I'd consider alternative ways of commenting
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    It's not something I worry about. There's a certain possibility of coming to harm, but it's the same getting into a car - there's a chance that it's not going to end well. But spending your time worrying about road accidents is no way to live your life. Regardless of how I live, sooner or later death is going to come for me, so am I going to die being afraid of statistically insignificant events that might befall me, or am I going to die care-free?

But this is only if the risk of harm is statistically insignificant - if you know the risk would be significant then it would be sensible to take a taxi.

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any issue about walking at night. I tend to avoid rough areas or city centres, but that is more about not wanting a verbal confrontation.

The chance of being mugged etc. is so low that it is not worth bothering about. It is one of those cases where perceived risk is far greater than actual risk. People worry about getting attacked in the street yet constantly make bad lifestyle decisions that will contribute to their own death.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.