Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A little bit scared for A-Level Chemistry. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know what you're probably thinking, why am i getting scared about this when its in the middle of summer but anyway...
    I'm scared for A-Level Chemistry. I have people on the one hand saying it's good, meanwhile there is extremely intelligent people who put the work into their studies and still get/have got bad grades.
    The only reason I am taking Chemistry is because I love Biology and a lot of courses for Biology require more than one science or maths and I am dreadful at Physics and I definitely do not want to do maths.
    Just wondering if me taking Chemistry is even a wise decision at this point? I'm willing to put in the work and found GCSE manageable enough but I'm still unsure. Any one else been in this situation where they have to take it/ how did you find it ?

ReputationRep:
    Right, for starters stop comparing yourself to others. That's one reason why people fail because they're too self conscious about what others think. F*ck them.

Next off, the course isn't bloody impossible. Anyone who did well in their GCSEs is capable of doing A Level chemistry. It's only a shock to people because GCSE is baby food and A Level is raw meat. Make your notes, organise them well and revise well and you'll do fine.

The course is quite fun in terms of the practicals and it is a well respected subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Right, for starters stop comparing yourself to others. That's one reason why people fail because they're too self conscious about what others think. F*ck them.

Next off, the course isn't bloody impossible. Anyone who did well in their GCSEs is capable of doing A Level chemistry. It's only a shock to people because GCSE is baby food and A Level is raw meat. Make your notes, organise them well and revise well and you'll do fine.

The course is quite fun in terms of the practicals and it is a well respected subject
    Okay, thanks I'll see how it goes and take it from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clvire)
    Okay, thanks I'll see how it goes and take it from there
    Noice. Let me know how it goes when you start and if you have any questions ask away! I'll only be a year ahead so the content will still be fresh in my head!

ReputationRep:
    Another tip I've been suggested by my older cousin is to rewrite your notes and constantly go over the material that you are unsure of. If you don't;; the stuff you don't know will bulldoze you right over by the beginning of A-level exams because by then there will be a lot of content overall to go through.. Stay on top of your game and don't slack. I'm scared as hell to do Maths A-levels so I completely understand the doubt that you feel but trust yourself; you can do it

ReputationRep:
    Yep, as the others said, just constantly go over the textbook/your notes and make sure you do lots of practice. And if you don't understand anything, ask your teacher or watch a video about it online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saharan_skies)
    Another tip I've been suggested by my older cousin is to rewrite your notes and constantly go over the material that you are unsure of. If you don't;; the stuff you don't know will bulldoze you right over by the beginning of A-level exams because by then there will be a lot of content overall to go through.. Stay on top of your game and don't slack. I'm scared as hell to do Maths A-levels so I completely understand the doubt that you feel but trust yourself; you can do it
    Thx!! Best of luck with your Maths, I definitely couldn't do it myself especially after how my GCSE went hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desmos)
    Yep, as the others said, just constantly go over the textbook/your notes and make sure you do lots of practice. And if you don't understand anything, ask your teacher or watch a video about it online.
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    I agree with everyone above chemistry is move manageable if you keep up with your notes as you go and don't wait till last minute to try and understand all the content

For now don't worry about A levels and enjoy your summer😁

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished year 13 and I studied the new specification Edexcel A-Level in Chemistry. Perhaps I can offer some insight as a student who has just completed the course.
    If you found GCSE Chemistry manageable then that is a very good sign so there is nothing to be worried about at this stage.
    In my experience, people find A-Level Chemistry difficult because the content is wide-ranging and many topics can be drawn on at once. My advice would be to ensure you make notes as you progress through the course and not all in one go at the end.
    Furthermore, in the last week of your holidays I suggest reviewing some of the GCSE Chemistry topics as I found that the A-level draws on the GCSE content to a large degree.
    Also make sure you iron out any concerns as soon as they arise - this helps in getting a full understanding of each topic which I think is especially important in Chemistry.
    Finally, there is loads of online help for Chemistry A-Level. "Chemguide" is a brilliant website that has loads of detailed content so I would highly recommend that. Also "Allery Chemistry" is a good YouTube channel if you'd prefer that.
    Sorry for the long post - remember to enjoy your holiday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceman_321)
    I've just finished year 13 and I studied the new specification Edexcel A-Level in Chemistry. Perhaps I can offer some insight as a student who has just completed the course.
    If you found GCSE Chemistry manageable then that is a very good sign so there is nothing to be worried about at this stage.
    In my experience, people find A-Level Chemistry difficult because the content is wide-ranging and many topics can be drawn on at once. My advice would be to ensure you make notes as you progress through the course and not all in one go at the end.
    Furthermore, in the last week of your holidays I suggest reviewing some of the GCSE Chemistry topics as I found that the A-level draws on the GCSE content to a large degree.
    Also make sure you iron out any concerns as soon as they arise - this helps in getting a full understanding of each topic which I think is especially important in Chemistry.
    Finally, there is loads of online help for Chemistry A-Level. "Chemguide" is a brilliant website that has loads of detailed content so I would highly recommend that. Also "Allery Chemistry" is a good YouTube channel if you'd prefer that.
    Sorry for the long post - remember to enjoy your holiday!
    thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clvire)
    I know what you're probably thinking, why am i getting scared about this when its in the middle of summer but anyway...
    I'm scared for A-Level Chemistry. I have people on the one hand saying it's good, meanwhile there is extremely intelligent people who put the work into their studies and still get/have got bad grades.
    The only reason I am taking Chemistry is because I love Biology and a lot of courses for Biology require more than one science or maths and I am dreadful at Physics and I definitely do not want to do maths.
    Just wondering if me taking Chemistry is even a wise decision at this point? I'm willing to put in the work and found GCSE manageable enough but I'm still unsure. Any one else been in this situation where they have to take it/ how did you find it ?
    Don't be a PUSSY and btw you are FOOKED i dropped it after 3 weeks, Fck that sh1t

ReputationRep:
    People love to exaggerate how hard it is, the problem is that you can't start AS chemistry using the same mindset as GCSE. It's more about learning everything on the specification and getting proper exam technique. Yes the content is more difficult but the key is actually finding effective ways to learn it. If it was really as hard as people make it out to be, no one would do it... Being scared of it is the first step to failing imo. You need to start by thinking yes, you can do it.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.