Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Contract or buy a high end phone outright? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    How much did you get your phone for?
    Phone was £500 i think and I sold my previous phone and an ipod and got like £150 for it. so effectively it only cost me 350.

Saying that I went for the 6s model rather than the new 7 which everyone was buying, and this was the 32g 6s model which came out with the release of the 7. So in a nutshell, im happy with a phone that might be the model below the latest one but if you're saving loads without being tied down, its a win win.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Yeah thats a great deal!

Can you do uni days over the phone?

How much data are you getting?
    Yeah you can. I'm getting 5GB a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Ebay?
    maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Yeah it is. How long till you have the money?

Long term outright is better, especially with that sim contract.
    I have the money saved already tbh but spending it on a phone sounds insane loll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    I bought by current iphone outright.. and got a sim only deal from o2. its best to always buy a phone outright which gives you flexibility and freedom to do what you want with it.

and the longer you stay with a company the better prices they will give you for a sim only deal as times goes on.
    How much did you pay for your iPhone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    The reason why I'm thinking sim only is because I can buy the phone from Argos and get 10% discount....,,

I can then get an EE 12 month sim only for £16.80 and I get 20GB data a month.

If I get the S8 plus on a contract I think I'll have to pay like £50 a month....
    I'm thinking of getting the S8 aswell.

Personally, I'll rather pay less for the S8 than the S8 plus. The only difference between the two devices is the screen size and apparently, the s8+ has a better battery life. Other than that, they are both identical. I advise visiting mobiles.co.uk. EE has a nice contract where one has to pay £32.99 per month for unlimited texts, calls and 5GB of data.

You could also use the UNIDAYS code to reduce the monthly cost.

ReputationRep:
    Always outright if you're buying flagships. The multiple phone's i have now collectively cost about £2000, with a combined monthly bill for all of their sim's of £31. Had I bought all of them on contracts, i'd not only be looking at a total cost heading towards £6000 (price of the device + contract + ridiculous markup), and i'd be relatively tied into long term contracts to have them even at that price. Over a theoretical 24 month contract, i've effectively spent ~45% of what I would have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Always outright if you're buying flagships. The multiple phone's i have now collectively cost about £2000, with a combined monthly bill for all of their sim's of £31. Had I bought all of them on contracts, i'd not only be looking at a total cost heading towards £6000 (price of the device + contract + ridiculous markup), and i'd be relatively tied into long term contracts to have them even at that price. Over a theoretical 24 month contract, i've effectively spent ~45% of what I would have.
    How long do you keep your phones though? Like when do you upgrade?

ReputationRep:
    Is the Sony XZ premium any good? I heard it's an underrated phone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Had the sony xperia z and i'd rank it **** to average due to build quality/uncomfy to hold. Screen/camera/speed wise it was average.

Looks like the xz would be uncomfortable to hold aswell (look at the square corners), although might be worth holding one in store first.

If I was getting a high end phone I'd get the samsung s8 hands down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lordofbutthurt)
    Had the sony xperia z and i'd rank it **** to average due to build quality/uncomfy to hold. Screen/camera/speed wise it was average.

Looks like the xz would be uncomfortable to hold aswell (look at the square corners), although might be worth holding one in store first.

If I was getting a high end phone I'd get the samsung s8 hands down.
    True haha

Looks like it's deffo thr S8 or S8 plus..:

ReputationRep:
    I heard the google Pixel XL is supposed to be a really nice phone

ReputationRep:
    Sim only. Cuz its wise to avoid being tied into contract in life when you can.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edo123)
    Sim only. Cuz its wise to avoid being tied into contract in life when you can.
    And yet, SIM only is a category of contract...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    True haha

Looks like it's deffo thr S8 or S8 plus..:
    Plus plus plus!!! Think of the screen real estate!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    How much did you pay for your iPhone?
    read post 21
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Yes, it's a very good phone. You can find my thoughts on how it compares to other flagships in my smartphone buying guide.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3392089

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Yes, it's a very good phone. You can find my thoughts on how it compares to other flagships in my smartphone buying guide.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3392089
    I'm looking at the HTC U11 as well
    Heard that's another underrated phone
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    I'm looking at the HTC U11 as well
    Heard that's another underrated phone
    They're underrated in the sense that people aren't buying many of them in comparison to Samsung's dominating grip on the Android market, but it's been very highly praised in reviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    They're underrated in the sense that people aren't buying many of them in comparison to Samsung's dominating grip on the Android market, but it's been very highly praised in reviews.
    Yeah i will be buying the phone outright and want it to last two years so doing a lot of research

Most say the S8 but I'm looking at alternatives

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.