Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Moving away for Uni - Help???? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I live in Northern Ireland currently. I have always dreamed about travelling and being able to see things for myself,and therefore being able to move and travel for University when the time comes. However, I'm an only child and I feel if i was even to so mention this to my mum it would upset her a lot. I know it's my life and I should decide what I want to do but I feel so guilty even thinking of moving away. Keeping in mind that my mum got a bit confused why I would even want to go to Ireland for university rather than staying up north. :/

Any advice if you have or are going through this? Or just in general?
    Much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clvire)
    I live in Northern Ireland currently. I have always dreamed about travelling and being able to see things for myself,and therefore being able to move and travel for University when the time comes. However, I'm an only child and I feel if i was even to so mention this to my mum it would upset her a lot. I know it's my life and I should decide what I want to do but I feel so guilty even thinking of moving away. Keeping in mind that my mum got a bit confused why I would even want to go to Ireland for university rather than staying up north. :/

Any advice if you have or are going through this? Or just in general?
    Much appreciated
    Assuming you're thinking of travelling to the UK for Uni- it's really not far. I'd placate myself with that.

I've always wanted to live in NZ but couldn't as would have the guilt of leaving my family. But that's a 24 hour flight so I can just about justify not doing it as it's so far away.

But you going to Ireland or UK- you're not far away at all. She'll be upset- you're her baby who has grown up- but visiting will be easy so you have good leverage there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Friffinghell)
    Assuming you're thinking of travelling to the UK for Uni- it's really not far. I'd placate myself with that.

I've always wanted to live in NZ but couldn't as would have the guilt of leaving my family. But that's a 24 hour flight so I can just about justify not doing it as it's so far away.

But you going to Ireland or UK- you're not far away at all. She'll be upset- you're her baby who has grown up- but visiting will be easy so you have good leverage there.
    Yeah I was thinking about Scotland. I feel like she would still be really concerned even though If was was to go over there it would probably be with my two other friends who are also considering it and whom she knows well. I'll keep dropping hints around it and talk to her about it soon lool. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Being a parent is all about preparing your offspring to go out and survive in the world. Your mum loves you and wants to keep enjoying who you are, but deep down she knows the first point too. Be gentle with her whilst reminding her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clvire)
    Yeah I was thinking about Scotland. I feel like she would still be really concerned even though If was was to go over there it would probably be with my two other friends who are also considering it and whom she knows well. I'll keep dropping hints around it and talk to her about it soon lool. Thanks
    Bring her to Scotland for a visit. If she can see how excited about it you are and what a great (and easy option) it is for both of you then she will want to do what is best for her child. That's a parent's prerogative.

(PS: Come to Glasgow- it's great )

ReputationRep:
    Do involve her in university campus visits. It will help her to prepare for you leaving home, because she will realise what is coming.

Don't know if it is possible to get hold of the drama Eskimo Day any more, but it is bang on point.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 17, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.