The Student Room Group

Which are the best uni's for Product Design?

Hellooo,

So i'll be choosing which uni's to apply soon for next year but my problem is i don't know which ones in and around London are good and have a good reputation. I've heard that Brunel and L'borough are reputable ones, but are more on the technical and sciencey/mathsy side of the design aspect which isnt my thing.

So if someone could shed some light on some uni's that you know/heard that are fun and actually care for their students when it comes to the course?

Im not taking any maths or science courses at A-level if that helps.

Thanks i advance, appreciate the help.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Superdrilles
Hellooo,

So i'll be choosing which uni's to apply soon for next year but my problem is i don't know which ones in and around London are good and have a good reputation. I've heard that Brunel and L'borough are reputable ones, but are more on the technical and sciencey/mathsy side of the design aspect which isnt my thing.

So if someone could shed some light on some uni's that you know/heard that are fun and actually care for their students when it comes to the course?

Hey there, Superdrilles!

My name is Kay and I study product design here at Ravensbourne. Have you heard of it? it's are base in London and next to the o2!
From what you have said above, I believe it might be the place for you. :biggrin:

The Product Design course here focuses on the design aspects of the products as well the research and if you have any problems on the way, the teaching staff are around to help! If none are around, you can go to the library which you can find books and materials to help you out. The staff there are lovely as well and help you find what you need. If you have any problems on campus or unsure on where to go or who you need help from, you can go to student services or give them a call.

The social life here at Ravensbourne is amazing as well as the course. On level 4 of Ravensbourne you can meet people from other courses and interact with them with the events that might take place in the building. There are also activities and clubs that are around which you can sign up too by our Student union!

Here is a link to our course page so you can check it out :wink: Click me~!
I highly recommend coming to an open day to find out first hand what Ravensbourne is like!

Hope this helps and goodluck!
Kay
Reply 2
Hi
There are courses that focus on the art side of product design too, where Maths and Science at A Level aren’t necessary, my friend is hoping to get into this field too. Take a look at some of he art unis - UAL is the obvious one for London.
Good luck
Sel
Also heard good things about Northumbria and GSA. I'll be studying industrial design at Loughborough in October
Reply 4
Hellooo,

When I was in sixth form I applied to various product design courses at Loughborough, Kingston, Bournemouth, UAL and Nottingham Trent. Lboro for product design and technology was my first choice (and the only reason why I took A level maths) until I realised how technical it was like you said but as it's a BSc course I guess it's expected.

My interviewer at Lboro told me that PDT and the industrial design course were 80% the same with the extra 20% being mechanics-based for PDT whereas for ID that was on aesthetics, so you might want to consider the Industrial design course there instead.

I got an unconditional offer for Furniture & Product Design at Nottingham Trent where I'll be starting this September - as a BA it's much more of a creative course and the combination of Furniture design and general product design would definitely open up more career opportunities after the 4yrs. My first time visiting Nottingham was the day of my interview and it's a lovely location. NTU also offer BA Product Design and BSc Product Design depending on your preference.

I'm sure UAL and Kingston are great but I wanted to avoid London really. Not too sure about Bournemouth as I didn't go to the interview!:redface:

Hope this helps
hi kay,I am also looking at studying product design next year and was wondering if you do a practical side too like in A levels or is it mainly theory based??thanks in advanced :smile:
Hi,
I am also looking at what unis to go to next year and was wondering if the product design course focuses mainly on the practical (like at A level) or the theory side more?
Original post by Cazmoran36
hi kay,I am also looking at studying product design next year and was wondering if you do a practical side too like in A levels or is it mainly theory based??thanks in advanced :smile:

Hey Cazmoran36,

Our courses are very practical and you will be working on making prototypes and final pieces for your project. There is a bit of theory but it is mainly studio work and very hands on.

I hope this answered your question. Let me know if there is anything else.

Row:h:
Reply 8
Hi,

I'm applying to study product/industrial design next year and am sending off my UCAS tomorrow!

My choices are: Industrial Design - Loughborough, Industrial Design - Brunel, Product & Furniture Design - Kingston, and Design for Industry - Northumbria.

My fifth choice was Product Design at Glasgow School of Art but when I went to the open day I found it way too conceptual. I want somewhere that does do physical design with lots of facilities and a good course. I'm thinking of Nottingham Trent because it has Product Design and Product & Furniture Design to choose from, but are there other universities anyone would suggest? Maybe somewhere like Sheffield Hallam?

Any and all of your help would be really appreciated!

Original post by bbiddell
Hi,

I'm applying to study product/industrial design next year and am sending off my UCAS tomorrow!

My choices are: Industrial Design - Loughborough, Industrial Design - Brunel, Product & Furniture Design - Kingston, and Design for Industry - Northumbria.

My fifth choice was Product Design at Glasgow School of Art but when I went to the open day I found it way too conceptual. I want somewhere that does do physical design with lots of facilities and a good course. I'm thinking of Nottingham Trent because it has Product Design and Product & Furniture Design to choose from, but are there other universities anyone would suggest? Maybe somewhere like Sheffield Hallam?

Any and all of your help would be really appreciated!

Hey! sorry for the late reply, you've probably already sent your UCAS off :/.
I'm also looking to apply at Brunel, Loughborough,
Northumbria and Nottingham Trent but not Kingston (although i thought about it) ive switched it with UAL but i think im going to go back to Kingston to be honest. I've heard good things about Trent and my 3D teacher also studied there and she said it was amazing.

Have you been looked at Aston? they prefer the more technical side.

I'm not really to apply yet as im going to be doing a Foundation year next year but im not 100% sure yet.
Hey! sorry for the late reply, you've probably already sent your UCAS off :/.
I'm also looking to apply at Brunel, Loughborough,
Northumbria and Nottingham Trent but not Kingston (although i thought about it) ive switched it with UAL but i think im going to go back to Kingston to be honest. I've heard good things about Trent and my 3D teacher also studied there and she said it was amazing.

Have you been looked at Aston? they prefer the more technical side.

I'm not really to apply yet as im going to be doing a Foundation year next year but im not 100% sure yet.

Hi! Cool, I've already got interviews for Kingston, Northumbria and Brunel. Loughborough will get back to me soon but Nottingham Trent haven't even acknowledged my application yet :/.

I'd really suggest you apply to Kingston, it's a really great place and an amazing course. It's basically still in London like UAL but I think the course is better. It focuses on actually making things as well as designing etc, unlike UAL which is very theoretical. Also, even though UAL is prestigious you won't actually get as much time with your tutors like at other unis and lots of the work is very independent. So please apply to Kingston instead!

Personally I wouldn't apply to Ravensbourne because I don't think it's worth considering. That's good about Trent though cos I haven't been to an open day there.

I'm applying now but am deferring because I'm taking a gap year so we'll start at the same time.

Do you want to do a BA or BSc? I'm applying for BA
Hi! Cool, I've already got interviews for Kingston, Northumbria and Brunel. Loughborough will get back to me soon but Nottingham Trent haven't even acknowledged my application yet :/.

I'd really suggest you apply to Kingston, it's a really great place and an amazing course. It's basically still in London like UAL but I think the course is better. It focuses on actually making things as well as designing etc, unlike UAL which is very theoretical. Also, even though UAL is prestigious you won't actually get as much time with your tutors like at other unis and lots of the work is very independent. So please apply to Kingston instead!

Personally I wouldn't apply to Ravensbourne because I don't think it's worth considering. That's good about Trent though cos I haven't been to an open day there.

I'm applying now but am deferring because I'm taking a gap year so we'll start at the same time.

Do you want to do a BA or BSc? I'm applying for BA

Sounds awesome that you've got interviews for the top 3, have they asked you about anything they want or example additional drawing pieces or something other than a portfolio.
Do you have to go to Newcastle for the interview as well? I live in London so i would not be looking forward to travel that far.
Hmm looks like im changing to Kingston UAL doesn't sound good for me.
I'm applying for BA courses so industrial design at Brunel and Loughborough :biggrin:
Sounds awesome that you've got interviews for the top 3, have they asked you about anything they want or example additional drawing pieces or something other than a portfolio.
Do you have to go to Newcastle for the interview as well? I live in London so i would not be looking forward to travel that far.
Hmm looks like im changing to Kingston UAL doesn't sound good for me.
I'm applying for BA courses so industrial design at Brunel and Loughborough :biggrin:

Yeah thanks :biggrin: They don't show any example work but they say what they want, and how much, to see but it's similar to what they say on their websites (check out all the pages on portfolio advice if you haven't already). And it's just the portfolio, nothing else.

At Brunel it's for most of the day with talks, tours, the interview in groups of 4/5 with a member of design staff, and a 30 min design task that you don't need to prepare for.

You have to go to Newcastle for the interview but you won't need to stay the night there to be able to go! The train's not that expensive and the interview's from around 12 so you have time to get there, but they do say to allow four hours for the whole time at the uni... I live in London as well but you'll still be able to get back at around 8 in the evening.

Good idea about Kingston btw (but don't let me influence you). Also UAL is very hard to get into so it's better to not waste an option in case they reject you.
Yeah thanks :biggrin: They don't show any example work but they say what they want, and how much, to see but it's similar to what they say on their websites (check out all the pages on portfolio advice if you haven't already). And it's just the portfolio, nothing else.

At Brunel it's for most of the day with talks, tours, the interview in groups of 4/5 with a member of design staff, and a 30 min design task that you don't need to prepare for.

You have to go to Newcastle for the interview but you won't need to stay the night there to be able to go! The train's not that expensive and the interview's from around 12 so you have time to get there, but they do say to allow four hours for the whole time at the uni... I live in London as well but you'll still be able to get back at around 8 in the evening.

Good idea about Kingston btw (but don't let me influence you). Also UAL is very hard to get into so it's better to not waste an option in case they reject you.

I didnt really understand the Brunel part. Were you saying thats it for most of a day and you will be attending talks, tours and have an interview with 4-5 other students with a member of staff?
I didnt really understand the Brunel part. Were you saying thats it for most of a day and you will be attending talks, tours and have an interview with 4-5 other students with a member of staff?

Yeah that's what I meant
Yeah that's what I meant

Why isnt it 1-1 :frown:((
Why isnt it 1-1 :frown:((

It can't be as bad as you think. Brunel are the only ones to do it, but it's an informal interview so there's no need to stress. You just have to 'present' your portfolio and work to the interviewer and others, and the design task will probably be in groups.

I have now received invitations to all of my unis (in only four working days!). All of the interviews, apart from at Brunel, are 1-1. Although at Northumbria the interviewer is joined by a current student. At Loughborough it's a day long event with other things involved, and the same goes for Brunel. Northumbria and Nottingham Trent say to allow four hours, and Kingston says three.

When are you sending off your UCAS?? I'd really suggest starting preparation on your portfolio, and start putting it together now because I regret not doing that.
It can't be as bad as you think. Brunel are the only ones to do it, but it's an informal interview so there's no need to stress. You just have to 'present' your portfolio and work to the interviewer and others, and the design task will probably be in groups.

I have now received invitations to all of my unis (in only four working days!). All of the interviews, apart from at Brunel, are 1-1. Although at Northumbria the interviewer is joined by a current student. At Loughborough it's a day long event with other things involved, and the same goes for Brunel. Northumbria and Nottingham Trent say to allow four hours, and Kingston says three.

When are you sending off your UCAS?? I'd really suggest starting preparation on your portfolio, and start putting it together now because I regret not doing that.

I've decided to apply next year whilst doing foundation course. But im kinda worried because then ill have my actual A-level grades and might not be able to apply at Brunel and Loughborough with my predicted grades of ABB. What if i end up getting lower than that then i wont be able to apply for them\so now i have to rethink again about sending it off ASAP before its too late or just deal with the fact that i might not end up being able to apply for Brunel and Loughborough. Good thing is if i apply this year i may get an unconditional offer based on my work but next year i wont.
I've decided to apply next year whilst doing foundation course. But im kinda worried because then ill have my actual A-level grades and might not be able to apply at Brunel and Loughborough with my predicted grades of ABB. What if i end up getting lower than that then i wont be able to apply for them\so now i have to rethink again about sending it off ASAP before its too late or just deal with the fact that i might not end up being able to apply for Brunel and Loughborough. Good thing is if i apply this year i may get an unconditional offer based on my work but next year i wont.

Oh fair. Well what if you get better grades than that? And if you get lower it's fine because they've seen what you're like on the interview day, so will probably judge on that more than the grades. Someone on TSR got lower than their prediction of ABB but Brunel, which was their firm, still accepted them.

If you apply with lower grades than your predicted grades, it doesn't matter anyway because the unis will only see your actual grades (if you apply in your foundation year).

Exactly, there's no harm applying this year and defer with the reason of taking a foundation year (although they might find it a bit weird since you already know what degree you want to do afterwards).
Hi! We saw Aston mentioned, so here's a little helper if you'd like:

We offer three product design courses: Bsc Product Design and Management, Product Design (transport) / (industrial).

^Dec

Latest