Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12 and I am getting ready to apply for universities but I feel like my dad doesn't want me to go for chemistry. He is always trying to make me go for the higher paying jobs and keeps suggesting things like banking. He says that it will be useless and not worth it.I really love the subject and it's not like I'm failing academically at all.Does anyone have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byebyekitty)
    I am in year 12 and I am getting ready to apply for universities but I feel like my dad doesn't want me to go for chemistry. He is always trying to make me go for the higher paying jobs and keeps suggesting things like banking. He says that it will be useless and not worth it.I really love the subject and it's not like I'm failing academically at all.Does anyone have any advice?
    If you're interested you could do chemical engineering. That leads to a path in banking (so your dad can be convinced) and also chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    U can still get into finance n that with chemistry but if wanna stack P without going into banking u could do chem eng. Chemistry pays decent anyway and there's no point doing a degree in something u don't like cos then you'll end up hating ur job.

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people with Chemistry degrees go into finance - I do Chemistry and I'd say about a third of the chemists I know are going into banking.

For a lot of positions, they don't care what your degree is. It's better you do something you enjoy as then you will do better in your degree, will be a happier person, and more doors will open to you.

ReputationRep:
    Does the idea of working in banking sector excite you? How do you feel about working there for 50 hours a week for the next 40 years?

My grandmother was a scientist. When it was my mother's turn to pick a career, she wanted to do business and my grandmother went all "no daughter of mine is going into trade" - sales are "common" and so on. My mother eventually picked computer science, which was still a technical subject, but she felt that she might just not die of boredom. She was apparently brilliant at it. Then she lost her job in her 20s and worked her way up from a sales associate at a used clothes shop to a mid level manager to an international brand manager in a large company. She never looked back and always told me I need to do want I want to do, because that's what I'll end up doing eventually anyway.

I had NO idea what I wanted to do after school. I liked maths but I had no idea what jobs there are for that. Investment banking and finance were suggested as something mathematical to me. I looked into it for a bit and decided I'm not interested at all. I applied to study something unrelated and ended up dropping out of university.

Turned out, the part of mathematics I enjoy is solving logical problems and not working with data analysis that's applicable to finance. I enjoy programming and figuring out why electronics don't work in my spare time. I'm quitting my job to start an engineering degree at 27 next month.

You must do YOU.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, chemical engineering doesn't actually have that much chemistry in it. Only physical chemistry but even then that's got a lot of physics in it too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.