Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, did anyone do foundation maths? what grade did you receive????

I did foundation maths, I wanted to do intermediate, but I’m going to do a re-sit in November. I got the highest I could get.

ReputationRep:
    well I guess no one did lol. how did everyone find the intermediate? going to see my tutor next week to arrange a re-sit. do you think i should be able to use my coursework from now?? coz the coursework 4 the same for everyone,whatever their tier. in one piece i had a C. not sure about the other piece, but my tutor said it was really good, because i was doing foundation, he didnt expect me to do all the stuff i had done, as others doing foundation didnt do all the hard bits.

good luck with it....... re doing your coursework will obviously increase your chances of reaching your potential

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaABBB)
    good luck with it....... re doing your coursework will obviously increase your chances of reaching your potential

thanks i was happy with the C because i was doing foundation, in the exams in the beginning of the year ( we did modules) i had a C in cw, and Two D's in the exam. i was going to switch to intermediate then, but my tutor thought it was best not to (coz i havent done a maths exam before,due to illness) and was best doing founation and get a 'GRADE', but said if i end up with a D at the end, to resit in nov. i will see him next week and see.

(Original post by kirsty_louise)
    thanks i was happy with the C because i was doing foundation, in the exams in the beginning of the year ( we did modules) i had a C in cw, and Two D's in the exam. i was going to switch to intermediate then, but my tutor thought it was best not to (coz i havent done a maths exam before,due to illness) and was best doing founation and get a 'GRADE', but said if i end up with a D at the end, to resit in nov. i will see him next week and see.
    I just don't get the point of doing foundation maths.... it's IMPOSSIBLE to achieve a grade C in it - bit silly really!

If you apply yourself and get your coursework to a 666 (B) you may be able to get a grade B

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get the point of doing foundation maths.... it's IMPOSSIBLE to achieve a grade C in it - bit silly really!

If you apply yourself and get your coursework to a 666 (B) you may be able to get a grade B
    I know plenty of people who got Cs in foundation maths GCSE (aqa).

(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I know plenty of people who got Cs in foundation maths GCSE (aqa).
    Oh, must be just Edexcel then

ReputationRep:
    Nope, its all boards. Taken from AQA specification, the horse's mouth if you will: "There are three tiers of assessment, Foundation (D-G), Intermediate (B-E) and Higher (A*-C)."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmik_debris)
    Nope, its all boards. Taken from AQA specification, the horse's mouth if you will: "There are three tiers of assessment, Foundation (D-G), Intermediate (B-E) and Higher (A*-C)."
    Well I have seen peoples certificates that prove otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmik_debris)
    Yes this is correct, these are the present days tier grades that can be achieved. How long ago did you see a certificate with what date of on the certificate (s) with the grade C on the foundation paper. The tier grades that can be achieved may have changed over the past few years ...

ReputationRep:

I didnt want to do foundation, but because i hadnt done a gcse maths before my tutor thought it was best i did foundation first to get a 'GRADE' i will do my best to try and get a higher grade in intermediate thought, because i need a C or above to go into nursing

ReputationRep:
    Did your tutor not think you wer able to gain a grde C?
    Honestly thats a bad decision by your tutor as he probably thought that if you failed it my reflect bad on him... rather than givin you the best opportunity.
    Its a shame coz you could have got a 'grade' regardless the tier unless you find higher too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade Into Black)
    Did your tutor not think you wer able to gain a grde C?
    Honestly thats a bad decision by your tutor as he probably thought that if you failed it my reflect bad on him... rather than givin you the best opportunity.
    Its a shame coz you could have got a 'grade' regardless the tier unless you find higher too hard.

well im not sure. when i did the first 2 modules at the start of the year, I had 2 Ds the highest i could get. i was going to switch then, but he though i was best i didnt. but it doesnt matter now anyway i will just re-sit in november. it was sad though, because when i did my 2nd piece of cw he was really shocked that i did all the algebra and the equations, when others doing the foundation didnt even bother trying. i was really gutted after doing the foundation in the start of the year, because the next day after the exam. he showed me the intermediate paper, and i could do them all apart from one, while ppl doing the intermdeiate couldnt do a few of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsty_louise)
    hi, did anyone do foundation maths? what grade did you receive????

I did foundation maths, I wanted to do intermediate, but I’m going to do a re-sit in November. I got the highest I could get.
    i did intermediate at GCSE and got the highest grade i could get (B) but wish i did higher as i think i could have done better

You could do a re-sit if you want, but getting the highest mark you could get means that you could have got a B at intermediate.

ReputationRep:
    The maths intermediate and foundation tiers are both nice and easy, as you don't have to do any really complicated maths for them. Best of luck on getting a higher grade !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    The maths intermediate and foundation tiers are both nice and easy, as you don't have to do any really complicated maths for them. Best of luck on getting a higher grade !

thanks

ReputationRep:

a friend of mine did foundation and we all got past exam papers before the exams and the foundation one was like ks3 sats papers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    a friend of mine did foundation and we all got past exam papers before the exams and the foundation one was like ks3 sats papers!

:confused: don't think its that easy because other peole doing foundation didnt get a D grade they had E's etc

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 7, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.