Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need a back up for Law and it only requires ABB, which is less than the other RG unis which require AAA/A*AA. But what is the uni like? What are the positives and negatives?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've just graduated from an MPhys course so spent 4 years at the University of Liverpool.

Don't let the 'low' A-Level entry grades fool you, this is a top Uni and in my opinion a dark horse for people applying for university like yourself. The University itself has fantastic facilities - an example is the newly refurbished Guild (known otherwise as student union) which only last year won the NUS award for BEST Student Union in the COUNTRY (yes, the whole country, see http://www.nusawards.org.uk/liverpoo...d-of-students/ ). Anyone who has been to Liverpool in the last few years will agree that the campus is great and has everything a student needs.

In terms of going to study Law I can't be much help with (as I did my degree in Physics) but what I do know is that there is a very high acceptance for Law and my friends who have completed their time there have had no particular hate towards their degree. I do know for a fact it is a lot of hard work (but I guess any Law degree anywhere would be) so it's a good job we have two very large libraries that in my opinion are very very good.

It's important to also take in to account the city that which surrounds the university. Liverpool is a 'big but small' city in the sense that it has everything you'll ever want for a city and everything is close. It's very student based as the University of Liverpool is only one of the three uni's that share the same city. Anyone who has gone to any of those would agree that it's a very very good place to be as a student based on it being cheap and having everything you'd ever need (nightlife is outstanding, the shopping is one of the best in the country, plenty of places to get a student job if you want etc). The biggest compliment I think comes down to the large portions of students that don't want to leave after coming to the end of the degree.

Connected to the 'low' grades you mentioned is also the unversities league table performance. Uni of Liverpool has always been in the lower half of the RG unis based on league table 'performance' and so maybe they felt that to add value in persuading Law students to come they had to lower their grades. It's important to note that league table performance should be taken with a pinch of salt as sometimes things aren't as simple as just looking at a trend down a list - for example, the decrease in league table performance this year could have come down to the negative (and lack of) feedback in NUS surveys purposely recommended by the union as a 'boycott' in order to voice ourselves against the increase of tuition fees.

Edit: I forgot to put any negatives about the University because I can't think of any from the top of my head. Maybe the fact they take about a month to pay you for helping out at open days etc.

Adam

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.