Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Help deciding between two schools: University of Leicester VS University of Surrey Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

It's the age old question everyone is asking... Which university should I attend?

I'm having a very difficult time deciding between the University of Leicester and the University of Surrey, both for their law programs.

I'm a Canadian student and was hoping to hear some insight on which schools have better rankings or overall thoughts. I've gone to each school and have looked at their rankings - at this point, the more I look, the more confused I get.

Any help is really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion Surrey has a better reputation

ReputationRep:
    i go to a sixth form/college right near the University of Leicester (literally 30 seconds away) and whilst i can't really say much about the actual course itself, walking across the campus everyday and being surrounded essentially by the university environment all the time has definitely impacted me and been a part of my everyday college experience too!

a lot of people from my college go on to study at Leicester Uni and generally they all really enjoy their time there. also, i'm sure you may have seen this when you visited, but the location of the university is perfect! Victoria Park is right off the campus and it's so amazingly pretty, plus the university is so close to town and the railway station that i'm sure you'll be able to have a great social time going out too, easily and accessibly.

if you can't decide after looking at rankings, i would also suggest comparing the employability statistics of how many people are in work 6 months after graduating and also comparing the actual learning content of the courses and see which one you think you'd enjoy more. furthermore, i'd say to think about which city and campus you enjoyed more and think about which one is more practical in terms of accommodation and facilities, etc.

either way, despite what university you go to, i'm sure you'll have an absolutely amazing time and wish you all the best of luck with moving over here and your degree and if you have any more questions about Leicester, please do feel free to ask! i'd be more than happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newstudent!)
    Hi there!

It's the age old question everyone is asking... Which university should I attend?

I'm having a very difficult time deciding between the University of Leicester and the University of Surrey, both for their law programs.

I'm a Canadian student and was hoping to hear some insight on which schools have better rankings or overall thoughts. I've gone to each school and have looked at their rankings - at this point, the more I look, the more confused I get.

Any help is really appreciated!
    It depends what you're looking for. Leicester has a better nightlife than Surrey. Surrey has a better reputation and a tranquil campus.
    I'm going to Surrey in September for Law however I did look at Leicester and they were quite good in terms of atmosphere and community etc.
    It all depends on what you are looking for.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Very similar in terms of ranking/reputation from an employer's perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunset891)
    In my opinion Surrey has a better reputation
    Hi Sunset891!

Thanks for your response. May I ask why? On most rankings (even though they really vary), Surrey is usually lower. For example:
    https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...rankings?s=law

Is your opinion based on things you've heard and general opinions or other students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaxo99)
    i go to a sixth form/college right near the University of Leicester (literally 30 seconds away) and whilst i can't really say much about the actual course itself, walking across the campus everyday and being surrounded essentially by the university environment all the time has definitely impacted me and been a part of my everyday college experience too!

a lot of people from my college go on to study at Leicester Uni and generally they all really enjoy their time there. also, i'm sure you may have seen this when you visited, but the location of the university is perfect! Victoria Park is right off the campus and it's so amazingly pretty, plus the university is so close to town and the railway station that i'm sure you'll be able to have a great social time going out too, easily and accessibly.

if you can't decide after looking at rankings, i would also suggest comparing the employability statistics of how many people are in work 6 months after graduating and also comparing the actual learning content of the courses and see which one you think you'd enjoy more. furthermore, i'd say to think about which city and campus you enjoyed more and think about which one is more practical in terms of accommodation and facilities, etc.

either way, despite what university you go to, i'm sure you'll have an absolutely amazing time and wish you all the best of luck with moving over here and your degree and if you have any more questions about Leicester, please do feel free to ask! i'd be more than happy to help
    Thank you ashaxo99! Your response was very insightful! If you wouldn't mind telling me... Are most University campus' small? For example, when I went to Surrey the campus was huge (in the sense there were a lot of buildings) whereas Leicester, while beautiful, didn't have as many buildings. Is this an indicator of success or how much money the school brings in?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ashaxo99! Your response was very insightful! If you wouldn't mind telling me... Are most University campus' small? For example, when I went to Surrey the campus was huge (in the sense there were a lot of buildings) whereas Leicester, while beautiful, didn't have as many buildings. Is this an indicator of success or how much money the school brings in?
    No - that is not indication of success/revenue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    It depends what you're looking for. Leicester has a better nightlife than Surrey. Surrey has a better reputation and a tranquil campus.
    I'm going to Surrey in September for Law however I did look at Leicester and they were quite good in terms of atmosphere and community etc.
    It all depends on what you are looking for.
    Thanks Boredom101! How is reputation determined? Is it based on location, size of the campus, opinions,etc? In the rankings, they really seem close (sometimes Surrey is even lower) - however, I've only ever heard good things!

What made you choose Surrey?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Very similar in terms of ranking/reputation from an employer's perspective.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do employer's really look at the school one attended? Or is it about other things on your resume as well?

What is the reputation of Surrey and Leicester? Do people have general opinions about them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    No - that is not indication of success/revenue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks J-SP for your response! What is a good indicator of success/revenue?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Boredom101! How is reputation determined? Is it based on location, size of the campus, opinions,etc? In the rankings, they really seem close (sometimes Surrey is even lower) - however, I've only ever heard good things!

Rankings are typically determined by some of the following factors

- quality of research undertaken by the university

- student satisfaction (academics and student support services)

- employment rates of undergrads after completing their degree.

- reputation of university in the eyes of employers

- faculty/student ratios

- demographic of students

- student facilities

Even some of these areas are broken down into sub groups.

Rankings need to be taken with some hesitation though. One university will rank highly for one subject but overall might rank lower as a university in general (or vice versa). Plus some of the stats used to create some of these rankings are questioned/manipulated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks J-SP for your response! What is a good indicator of success/revenue?
    Revenue means very little. It will be influenced much more by student population size and things like the percentage of international students - all of which could mean nothing about he standard of teaching or the universities reputation.

I wouldn't worry about success either as that's pretty subjective and different people will want to prioritise different things and class that as success or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Rankings are typically determined by some of the following factors

- quality of research undertaken by the university

- student satisfaction (academics and student support services)

- employment rates of undergrads after completing their degree.

- reputation of university in the eyes of employers

- faculty/student ratios

- demographic of students

- student facilities

Even some of these areas are broken down into sub groups.

Rankings need to be taken with some hesitation though. One university will rank highly for one subject but overall might rank lower as a university in general (or vice versa). Plus some of the stats used to create some of these rankings are questioned/manipulated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to know, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Revenue means very little. It will be influenced much more by student population size and things like the percentage of international students - all of which could mean nothing about he standard of teaching or the universities reputation.

I wouldn't worry about success either as that's pretty subjective and different people will want to prioritise different things and class that as success or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've given me a lot to think about! I think what is comes down to is your marks and anything else on your resume!

ReputationRep:
    the campus isn't too extraordinarily big although i think i'd say everything fits nice and snug - there's also a couple of huge buildings across some of the roads too! plus i've seen some of the buildings renovated recently which does suggest that they do like to upkeep their area. i think another reason why the campus is relatively smaller is because De Montford University is really close by. and I forgot to mention one thing that I would say is quite unique about Leicester, but we are really so multi-cultural! i definitely love the centre of the city best because the diversity is really what makes it so beautiful, and there's also so many people our age so i never really feel alone when im in the area, so if you love to meet all different kinds of people then id say this environment is something you'd really enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashaxo99)
    the campus isn't too extraordinarily big although i think i'd say everything fits nice and snug - there's also a couple of huge buildings across some of the roads too! plus i've seen some of the buildings renovated recently which does suggest that they do like to upkeep their area. i think another reason why the campus is relatively smaller is because De Montford University is really close by. and I forgot to mention one thing that I would say is quite unique about Leicester, but we are really so multi-cultural! i definitely love the centre of the city best because the diversity is really what makes it so beautiful, and there's also so many people our age so i never really feel alone when im in the area, so if you love to meet all different kinds of people then id say this environment is something you'd really enjoy.
    You bring up so many great points! Thank you!!

ReputationRep:

Hey! It's determined by league table rankings but also by things like employability factors and student experience! Leicester is VERY good for genuine experience though I've heard great things about them but employability is also important in my opinion. i'm not aware of what the % is for Leicester but I know its incredibly high for Surrey. Like over 90%.

I chose Surrey because its close to home and because i like the campus as well as the course (They are one of the only universities in the country that do the course that I want to study)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    Hey! It's determined by league table rankings but also by things like employability factors and student experience! Leicester is VERY good for genuine experience though I've heard great things about them but employability is also important in my opinion. i'm not aware of what the % is for Leicester but I know its incredibly high for Surrey. Like over 90%.

I chose Surrey because its close to home and because i like the campus as well as the course (They are one of the only universities in the country that do the course that I want to study)
    Awesome, thank you! And congrats!!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thank you! And congrats!!
    Thanks and you're welcome

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.