Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I will be living alone, however my parents own the house and will be paying the bills, and the address on the pay slips used for househould income will be my address. So would I select living in my own home, or living with parents when applying?

When doing an online calculator, it has said that I would recieve less when living alone but this doesn't make sense to me?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

Since your parents are paying the bills and their evidence is in the same address of the house you live at you would definitely need to put that you would be living in the parental home for this application.

The calculator will bring up an entitlement based on the amount you put in it for the household income of your parents for the 2015-2016 tax year period.

Assuming you are starting your studies as a new student for the 2017/18 academic year, not eligible for benefits and doing a course that is longer than a year then the minimum amount of Maintenance Loan (ML) you can get is £3,124 and the maximum means tested amount is £7,097.

If household income is under £25000 you would get the maximum amount, if its between £25,000 to £58,201 you would get a partial ML. If household income is £58,201.01 or higher than it would be the minimum ML amount you would get in which case you may just be as well to apply for non-means tested funding.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi HJ2,

Since your parents are paying the bills and their evidence is in the same address of the house you live at you would definitely need to put that you would be living in the parental home for this application.

The calculator will bring up an entitlement based on the amount you put in it for the household income of your parents for the 2015-2016 tax year period.

Assuming you are starting your studies as a new student for the 2017/18 academic year, not eligible for benefits and doing a course that is longer than a year then the minimum amount of Maintenance Loan (ML) you can get is £3,124 and the maximum means tested amount is £7,097.

If household income is under £25000 you would get the maximum amount, if its between £25,000 to £58,201 you would get a partial ML. If household income is £58,201.01 or higher than it would be the minimum ML amount you would get in which case you may just be as well to apply for non-means tested funding.

Thanks
    Thanks, unfortunately I already applied as living on my own a while ago, but haven't sent the financial evidence. Can I change to living with parents online or will I need to phone student finance?

Also, this will be my third year, how will that affect the amount?

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

To change where you are living during the academic year you can amend this from your online account by going onto change your application and then going onto change your course details. It will bring up a question that asks where you will be living throughout each of the three terms of the academic year and it will let you change it to the parental home. It will either let you amend it directly online or bring up a link for a paper CO1 change of circumstances form where you would need to fill in sections four and five for changing the course.

Your application funding is assessed based on what we call a 'cohort' and this based on when you started the first year of your course. This decides the rate you get in relation to your course and the academic year you are in. You also get less ML as a final year student, everyone does.

Did you start your course initially in 2015/16 academic year and are you in your final year?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

To change where you are living during the academic year you can amend this from your online account by going onto change your application and then going onto change your course details. It will bring up a question that asks where you will be living throughout each of the three terms of the academic year and it will let you change it to the parental home. It will either let you amend it directly online or bring up a link for a paper CO1 change of circumstances form where you would need to fill in sections four and five for changing the course.

Your application funding is assessed based on what we call a 'cohort' and this based on when you started the first year of your course. This decides the rate you get in relation to your course and the academic year you are in. You also get less ML as a final year student, everyone does.

Did you start your course initially in 2015/16 academic year and are you in your final year?

Thanks
    I started in 15/16 but had a foundation year so this is only my second year on the main part of the course. Also, as neither of my parents will be living with me, would my household income be £0? Or as the payslips from last year are at my address would I include my parent's pay from that year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJ2)
    I started in 15/16 but had a foundation year so this is only my second year on the main part of the course. Also, as neither of my parents will be living with me, would my household income be £0? Or as the payslips from last year are at my address would I include my parent's pay from that year?
    Hi HJ2,

For 17/18 academic year applications we would be asking your parents to supply the 15/16 tax year income information.

Warm regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun D SFE)
    Hi HJ2,

For 17/18 academic year applications we would be asking your parents to supply the 15/16 tax year income information.

Warm regards.
    But as my parents currently don't live with me, and won't be next year, would my household income just be £0?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=HJ2;72783914]But as my parents currently don't live with me, and won't be next year, would my household income just be £0?[/QUO

Hi HJ2,

If you are still under 25 years old at start of academic year 2017, even if living elsewhere, we still would consider you dependent on your parents, so we would still need them to support your application online or on the paper PFF2form, providing their 2015/16 tax year income.

You will then be assessed on their household income, but at the higher living elsewhere rate.

The only way we can assess you as independent if you are still under 25 years old, is if you can provide evidence that you have either self supported yourself financially, for a full three years, prior to the start of the academic year or are estranged from your biological parents.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

Warm regards.
    My parents won't be living with me next year though so would my household income be £0 or would it still be my parents wage?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rona SFE;72813130]
    (Original post by HJ2)
    But as my parents currently don't live with me, and won't be next year, would my household income just be £0?[/QUO

Hi HJ2,

If you are still under 25 years old at start of academic year 2017, even if living elsewhere, we still would consider you dependent on your parents, so we would still need them to support your application online or on the paper PFF2form, providing their 2015/16 tax year income.

You will then be assessed on their household income, but at the higher living elsewhere rate.

The only way we can assess you as independent if you are still under 25 years old, is if you can provide evidence that you have either self supported yourself financially, for a full three years, prior to the start of the academic year or are estranged from your biological parents.

Thanks
    But when I select living with parents, my household income is only my mothers as she is the only parent I lived with, but when I select living alone, it includes my dad's income as well. I put this in the online calculator and I end up getting less loan when I select living alone, but this doesn't seem right as I should get more when living alone

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

Warm regards.
    But when I select living with parents, my household income is only my mothers as she is the only parent I lived with, but when I select living alone, it includes my dad's income as well. I put this in the online calculator and I end up getting less loan when I select living alone, but this doesn't seem right as I should get more when living alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJ2)
    Hi HJ2,

If you are under 25 years of age then its still based on your parents income, this will be the parent that you live with the most or have more contact with, in your case this will be your mother therefore we require her financial details for 15/16 to fully assess your application.

Thanks Catherine

ReputationRep:
    Hi HJ2,

Thanks
    Hi, I have the CO1 form, but how do I fill in section 4 &5, as it is asking what my new course is, and if I am changing after previously starting another course, but I only want to change where I'll be living? Could you help me out with this please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJ2)
    Hi, I have the CO1 form, but how do I fill in section 4 &5, as it is asking what my new course is, and if I am changing after previously starting another course, but I only want to change where I'll be living? Could you help me out with this please
    Hi again HJ2,

Just complete the sections with your current course details and then when you get to the living location section you can inform us of the actual changes.

Warm regards.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.