The Student Room Group

Anyone applied or currently receiving the childcare grant from student finance?

I'm about to start my Adult Nursing course in September 2017, but worried about the funding for childcare. Please comment if you have any advice about the CCG1 Form from student finance and childcare funding in general, really need advice on this one. I've only got 9 weeks until I start university time waits for no one :smile:

Thanks
Hi, the funding depends on your circumstances so if you have a partner with an income that will affect how much money you get for childcare grant.

Have you got the form yet? I found it fairly straightforward. Throughout the year they will send more forms for you and your childcare provider to complete according to how much you have paid. You must complete them or they will demand back the grant you have been paid already.

Have you got any specific questions?
Reply 2
Original post by Amberooney
Hi, the funding depends on your circumstances so if you have a partner with an income that will affect how much money you get for childcare grant.

Have you got the form yet? I found it fairly straightforward. Throughout the year they will send more forms for you and your childcare provider to complete according to how much you have paid. You must complete them or they will demand back the grant you have been paid already.

Have you got any specific questions?

Hi @Amberooney, thanks for replying to my thread, I don't have a partner therefore my income is £0. I sent off the form just don't know if I've calculated it correctly. It's more an estimate rather than actual costs because my childcare needs is most likely to change since my course is 44 weeks a year excluding xmas. My worry is that since I think my childcare costs will be higher the new figures might not take effect until the second payment for the year.

Are you currently getting the childcare grant? I'm worried I'll need more than I've applied for that's the thing. And sending these forms all the time gets tiring wish they had an online system to make it easier to make a change? What's your experience so far? You said you found it to be straight forward, is your child in nursery or school? Did you account for bank holidays, inset days, school holidays etc? I'll be in uni throughout apart from xmas. I guess my question is, how easy is it to make a change since I've already sent it off and will it take effect straightaway or will I have to wait till the next payment date in the 2nd term? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
My son is in full time nursery and the cost is the same throughout the year so I didn't have too much trouble guessing. When I filled in the forms that they send to confirm what you have paid they sent me an extra payment as I had underestimated slightly. If you want to make a change now you could fill in a new application and I think that will override the old one or you can just wait to confirm your costs when you know what they are. The forms are long but as long as you fill in everything you pay for childcare over the year then you will get the correct money in the end. I prefer to slightly underestimate as i would rather they send me extra money than a bill.
Reply 4
Original post by Amberooney
My son is in full time nursery and the cost is the same throughout the year so I didn't have too much trouble guessing. When I filled in the forms that they send to confirm what you have paid they sent me an extra payment as I had underestimated slightly. If you want to make a change now you could fill in a new application and I think that will override the old one or you can just wait to confirm your costs when you know what they are. The forms are long but as long as you fill in everything you pay for childcare over the year then you will get the correct money in the end. I prefer to slightly underestimate as i would rather they send me extra money than a bill.

Hi @Amberooney, yep I get what your saying, mine is tricky since it changes every 5 weeks to so to account for the half term in October and xmas and so on, I didn't underestimate because I can't wait for the second payment to get it right that would put me in problems with the childminder I can't wait to start now because I have no idea until then how things will pan out 😊

Quick Reply

Latest