Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology degree - what do you need to do it watch

ReputationRep:
    I would love to Psychology As level, but my school does not do it. I am thinking of going to a different sixth form college, but I was wondering if anyone knew what A levels are requiered to do a psychology degree anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie47)
    I would love to Psychology As level, but my school does not do it. I am thinking of going to a different sixth form college, but I was wondering if anyone knew what A levels are requiered to do a psychology degree anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

hi, i'm not sure what they require to do a degree, but my friend just did as/alevel in one year in college and she didnt have a gcse in it before doing as/alevel, so im not sure if you need it in alevel to do a degree, but sometimes i think they might prefer it because you will have more experience of the subject. have you got GCSE psychology?? hope i helped.

ReputationRep:
    In the vast majority of cases you do not need psychology A level to study it at university. As for subject choices most of the universities I looked into liked to make offers to those who did at least one science subject at A level. Saying that, however, aside from psychology I took arts subjects for A level and I'm going onto study it at degree level in a couple of weeks.

Loads of subjects are helpful, but admissions tutors are looking for someone who has good communication skills and a scientific mind, alos you need to be able to argue a point well, so if you can, do a mixture of arts and sciences, eg:
    Biology
    Maths (helpful if you do stats)
    English
    History
    Sociology
    philosophy

ReputationRep:
    I think Maths is the most important A-level, unless you really hate the stats in psychology and are going to pick a psychology degree that doesn't have much of that in it (but if you want to do experimental psychology, you will have to do maths at some point). Bio+Chem are good, as are essay subjects like English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    My friend received offers from Birmingham and Manchester (among others I can't now remember) for a Psychology degree with English, Sociology and Media at A-level. Another Psychology student I know had History, English and French. I don't think they expect you to have Psychology as it's not widely available, and they seem pretty flexible with what you do have as long as you show an interest in the subject etc.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help guys!

ReputationRep:
    A-level donald duck, mickey mouse and bugs bunny.

ReputationRep:
    maths is quite good to have cos in some degree courses there is a mathematics module.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.