Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else sick of these spam threads? Like seriously, they suddenly started appearing all over TSR. Mods, any way to prevent this?

Name:  spam.png
Views: 46
Size:  323.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's quite annoying.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt they are a new addition.

Just ignore them
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore them, not much you can do about it.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Report them as soon as you see them.

Mods delete them soon enough. Very frustrating for them also as it is a sort of 'denial of mod service' attack by tying up and wasting their time.

I'd like to wring Babaji's scrawny little neck.

ReputationRep:
    물고기 자전거 !!??geTtiNg anNoYed bY spAm ThrEads ??!! bEst sPaM aDvIce ExPert sOlUtion 238626658356

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    I'd like to wring Babaji's scrawny little neck.
    :rofl:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by satisfactionatlast)
    Anyone else sick of these spam threads? Like seriously, they suddenly started appearing all over TSR. Mods, any way to prevent this?
    And lo, they are gone:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 08.49.12.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  342.6 KB

Yes they are annoying but they get cleared out pretty quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    And lo, they are gone:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 08.49.12.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  342.6 KB

Yes they are annoying but they get cleared out pretty quickly.
    yay!

ReputationRep:

There is a way to prevent it yes, prevent brand new users from posting topics unless their post is reviewed by a moderator first.

of course TSR won't do this though, solutions such as these have been suggested to them many times.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    There is a way to prevent it yes, prevent brand new users from posting topics unless their post is reviewed by a moderator first.

of course TSR won't do this though, solutions such as these have been suggested to them many times.......
    I agree.

ReputationRep:
    I posted the same thing the other day, asking "Can all the voodoo/astrology threads be removed?". I find them creepy as hell to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

Or even a softer version of that, ......allow new users to only create a topic once every 3 days or something until they reach 75 posts,

That way if a spammer tried to spam from the outset he can only make 1 spam topic and not cause much disruption before a mod gets to him, and if he chooses to make 75 posts in order to spam, then that's a bit graft needed there ....and it will definitely put off a lot of the spamming as spammers will find it tedious to make 75 posts each time in order to spam.

and to put off the most determined spammers a further filter can be introduced that once a user passes the 75 post mark, he is only allowed to make a new topic at a maximum rate of 1 every 20 minutes until he reaches 250 posts then all restrictions come off.

A determined spammer who is willing to make 75 posts will be only able to make a maximum of 3 spam topics an hour ..which again will reduce the amount of disruption they can do before a mod gets to them.

I seriously don't see why TSR can't incorporate something like this.........

ReputationRep:
    If you get an email offering a tin of processed meat, potato starch and salt water delete it, it's SPAM (ff to 3:30)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I posted the same thing the other day, asking "Can all the voodoo/astrology threads be removed?". I find them creepy as hell to be honest.

don't call them creepy, the spammer is probably watching this thread. He might make a voodoo doll of you and stick pins in it :eek3::grin:

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone from the Bromley area?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I am so sick of those spam thread like you. Mods have not so much power to deal with it, all what we can do is to report it to supporters who handle it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Is anyone from the Bromley area?

An Advert came on before I could watch the video,

this video has almost 8 million views, the person who uploaded the video does not appear to be the person responsible for creating monty python.

has this person just earn't Ad payments for 8 million views and he didn't even create the content????????

ReputationRep:

there is only one SoLu~Tio#N !!

101% sPamaLam?+91-8094945424 ?gEt lOsT BaBa

Name:  tsrbabaspamgif.gif
Views: 25
Size:  170.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)
    An Advert came on before I could watch the video,

this video has almost 8 million views, the person who uploaded the video does not appear to be the person responsible for creating monty python.

has this person just earn't Ad payments for 8 million views and he didn't even create the content????????
    Dunno, ask them.
    I use ad-blocker.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.