Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate uni...I feel soo depressed...I dont know what to do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I study BSC Biological science, just got my second year result and I failed a module. I worked so hard and didnt exactly know how I failed. Its a core module, I cant go into third year without it. I cant resit as I already have and failed again. What annoys me is that one exam has failed me completely. I spoke to the teachers and they said to re take next year but I lost my self confidence and feel like I cant do it no more. Everyones saying I worked too hard and came to far to give up. I feel like I worked too hard and it didnt pay off. I felt like doing an apprentiship but people said you have been to uni...why go ten steps back. Its been two weeks since I got mu results Im still upset and depressed. I feel like a year would take too long and all my friends have got to third year, I feel sad I wont be graduating with my friends. I really dont know what to do?

ReputationRep:
    you just gotta play the cards you're dealt

take a year out, work, and come to resit the exam and move on

life won't always go the way you plan, be resillient and find solutions. you win some, you lose some.. there's no magic formulas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petiana)
    I study BSC Biological science, just got my second year result and I failed a module. I worked so hard and didnt exactly know how I failed. Its a core module, I cant go into third year without it. I cant resit as I already have and failed again. What annoys me is that one exam has failed me completely. I spoke to the teachers and they said to re take next year but I lost my self confidence and feel like I cant do it no more. Everyones saying I worked too hard and came to far to give up. I feel like I worked too hard and it didnt pay off. I felt like doing an apprentiship but people said you have been to uni...why go ten steps back. Its been two weeks since I got mu results Im still upset and depressed. I feel like a year would take too long and all my friends have got to third year, I feel sad I wont be graduating with my friends. I really dont know what to do?
    I think you should resit the year. You will make new friends so don't worry about that aspect of things. It's just 1 year extra (not even that.. September-June, right?)

Once you are doing the resit year, make sure you sit down with one of your supervisors or something to work out exactly what is wrong with your revision technique, since you say you are working hard so I can only conclude your revision technique is wrong. Also make sure you're eating and sleeping well. Good luck
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petiana)

Hello,

I am a recent graduate from Medical science. I can understand your struggle and confusion. I have been through a similar situation when I was in year 1. I am not from UK, I am from Italy so when I came here I struggled a lot to get settled. When I started University I was really excited, but after 3 weeks I started to be really really sad and depressed because it was really difficult for me understanding the lecturers and taking notes. Not only! I also started to think that medical science is not the course for me. At one point I decided to change or leave the course but it was too late to make changes so I had to continue. I had a great support from my personal tutor who advised me to continue and see if this is what I want to do. Then, luckily I started to feel more comfortable.

My true advice will be to not give up, please! I can understand that when you feel depressed is really difficult to concentrate in studies (I have been through the same struggle and pain), but trust me if this is what you like and what you want to do you can do it! Just think how people take a sandwich (placement) year and graduate a year later than their friends. So you will be in a similar situation as you will graduate later than your fellow friends.

I will also advice to have a chat with your lecturer and try to find out why did you failed that exam. Maybe you need more exam practice? Maybe there is something that is stopping you to pass the module. As it is a core module, I believe you should find it out.

I always studied hours and hours and did a lot of hard work, but I was not getting the marks I was looking for in my first and second year. Then, I realised in my third year (quite late) that my exam technique and preparation was wrong! I was not practicing enough with past papers and exam type questions.

Please, don't give up and keep trying hard. The reward will be excellent. If you stop now, you might never come back to university and never graduate, so please don't do that.

I hope what I said will help you to change your mind

Best of luck with everything and take care!

Tabassuma

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.