Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do some asians look like white people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I agree. I think my kids will definitely utterly look typically white with light hair/eye since I had them when I was a baby but got darker as I got older. It's strange cause I can get away with pretending to be white in Bangladesh Which is fun cause they seem to worship white people here.

Please do. I'm curious
    We've got an abundance of Pakistanis in Sistan-Baluchistan. They're white probably because they're from the North and/or descended from an Afghan relative (some) or Persians.

Rule of thumb for Asia:
    The further east you go, the more slanted the eyes, and the more south, the more confusing it gets. But in terms of pigmentation. White-Brown-Olive. But this is heavily subjective.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I think my kids will definitely utterly look typically white with light hair/eye since I had them when I was a baby but got darker as I got older. It's strange cause I can get away with pretending to be white in Bangladesh Which is fun cause they seem to worship white people here.

Please do. I'm curious
    I should try pranking some people there next time I go. Pretend I'm not Pakistani at all and full on British. It'll be fun to see their reactions :laugh: They worship white people there too. It's like they haven't seen a white person before.

I have this story about this Portuguese student who joined my school about mid way through GCSEs and he thought I was 100% British. A few weeks after he joined I was talking to a couple of my mates about Pakistan and about my Pakistani roots and he overheard and turned around to me and said 'wait, you're from Pakistan? You never told me this. wtf!'

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I saw a friend that I haven't seen in a long time, after she left school. And I remember the rumours that people would say about her light skin. Bleaching, drugs. But what I do know is her dads dark and her mums light. But all her siblings are either dark or the typical brown and they look Asian. But she looks like a white girl. Her face is a white persons face.
    A fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hendrix.)
    It's not just skin colour that makes you look like a 'white person.' The girl may also have Asian features.
    I'd guess the OP is talking about southern and central Asians, of which some do have extremely "European" features.

This Afghan girl for example:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...59ea5cff7a.jpg
    Attached Images

(Original post by qasim_96)
    I should try pranking some people there next time I go. Pretend I'm not Pakistani at all and full on British. It'll be fun to see their reactions :laugh: They worship white people there too. It's like they haven't seen a white person before.

I have this story about this Portuguese student who joined my school about mid way through GCSEs and he thought I was 100% British. A few weeks after he joined I was talking to a couple of my mates about Pakistan and about my Pakistani roots and he overheard and turned around to me and said 'wait, you're from Pakistan? You never told me this. wtf!'
    Bahaha thanks for sharing that story 😂

You should do that. I actually prefer doing it more when I'm in Bangkok. I swear like they reeeaaallly worship white people. This one time I was at the Chanel store and I didn't buy anything was just looking around and they gave me drinks to have, wifi, all that jazz. And my cousin who looks more Bangladesh actually bought thousands of dollars worth of shoes and they gave her drinks and stuff but they weren't too enthusiastic about it, too busy trying to please the "white" customer lol.

(Original post by AryanGh)
    We've got an abundance of Pakistanis in Sistan-Baluchistan. They're white probably because they're from the North and/or descended from an Afghan relative (some) or Persians.

Rule of thumb for Asia:
    The further east you go, the more slanted the eyes, and the more south, the more confusing it gets. But in terms of pigmentation. White-Brown-Olive. But this is heavily subjective.
    This is so true for Bangladeshis. I am pale but when I tan it's like beige skin tone. I was a ginger when I was a little girl but now my hair is darker.

ReputationRep:

You should do that. I actually prefer doing it more when I'm in Bangkok. I swear like they reeeaaallly worship white people. This one time I was at the Chanel store and I didn't buy anything was just looking around and they gave me drinks to have, wifi, all that jazz. And my cousin who looks more Bangladesh actually bought thousands of dollars worth of shoes and they gave her drinks and stuff but they weren't too enthusiastic about it, too busy trying to please the "white" customer lol.

This is so true for Bangladeshis. I am pale but when I tan it's like beige skin tone. I was a ginger when I was a little girl but now my hair is darker.
    *spits out чаи*

you what

ReputationRep:

Nice :laugh: I've never been to Bangkok but I should really go now :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    She can be light because of her mum being light genetically?

ReputationRep:
    Asia is diverse, some people need to educate themselves seriously. And "Asian" is not even a race wth.

ReputationRep:
    People from different races can come of different colour you know. It depends on genes. The stereotype "x race has such light/dark coloured people" can be debunked. You get all different skin colours in all different races. No need to jump to conclusions about skin colour.

ReputationRep:
    Because they have mixed heritage? Because they are naturally paler? Because your idea of what an Asian person should look like is flawed?

ReputationRep:
    Recently, I saw a friend that I haven't seen in a long time, after she left school. And I remember the rumours that people would say about her light skin. Bleaching, drugs. But what I do know is her dads dark and her mums light. But all her siblings are either dark or the typical brown and they look Asian. But she looks like a white girl. Her face is a white persons face.
    She probably put on loads of creams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AppleB)
    People from different races can come of different colour you know. It depends on genes. The stereotype "x race has such light/dark coloured people" can be debunked. You get all different skin colours in all different races.
    It's just so stupid to think Asian= brown skin tone smh. What does that even mean.
    I know that some Persians, Pashtuns and Arabs can be very fair, but they are from Asia so deal with it. Don't know why people think you have to be from the west/Europe to be light 🙄
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    there's far more diversity within a given ethnicity than there is between ethnicities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's because they're all people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    It's just so stupid to think Asian= brown skin tone smh. What does that even mean.
    I know that some Persians, Pashtuns and Arabs can be very fair, but they are from Asia so deal with it. Don't know why people think you have to be from the west/Europe to be light 🙄
    True, I have seen medium skinned Arabs and Pashtuns. I guess it's genes. Arabs are Asian?? True lmaooo I think it's wise for people to check their ancestry they'll be in for a surprise

ReputationRep:
    True, I have seen medium skinned Arabs and Pashtuns. I guess it's genes. Arabs are Asian?? True lmaooo I think it's wise for people to check their ancestry they'll be in for a surprise
    Yh the Arabs from Asian countries is what I am referring to, not North Africans etc
    It's just a skin colour I don't get the big deal tbh
    Doesn't make you superior or anything to have specific features.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    Yh the Arabs from Asian countries is what I am referring to, not North Africans etc
    It's just a skin colour I don't get the big deal tbh
    Doesn't make you superior or anything to have specific features.
    True, but having fair skin is regarded as beauty sadly. There are good looking dark skinned people

ReputationRep:
    True, but having fair skin is regarded as beauty sadly. There are good looking dark skinned people
    That's ridiculous. Exactly and no one is really ugly because all subjective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h333)
    That's ridiculous. Exactly and no one is really ugly because all subjective.
    It is how it is :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.