Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need a detective- To find a book Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I read a book I believe in 2012 but have completely forgotten its name or author and would really like to find it.
    The opening chapters were about a group of people who were tracking a briefcase and placed some kind of tracker on the mans trousers. They followed him to a building but realised too late that the briefcase had been switch and then a bomb goes off and everyone dies except the person who becomes the main character.
    I am not 100% for the rest of the book, something involving someone with cancer and a necklace attempting to get into the whitehouse to avoid radiation detectors. And a sex scene in a lake in one chapter. If anyone has any ideas what the book was that would be helpful. It was a fairly large book, I had a hardback copy with a blue front cover. I believe the book was set in 1970-1990s. I would say the topic was a thriller

Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if you read other books by same author?
    What age group was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    Do you know if you read other books by same author?
    What age group was it?
    I don't believe it was part of a series or a very well known book or that I read any other books. I think the audience was for adults.
    I know it isnt a lot to go off

ReputationRep:
    It's not something I've read but this website has links to experts who can help if you're not in a rush!
    https://www.nypl.org/blog/2012/06/28...-books-by-plot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammylou40)
    It's not something I've read but this website has links to experts who can help if you're not in a rush!
    https://www.nypl.org/blog/2012/06/28...-books-by-plot
    Thank you for the link shall have a look. But if anyone else has any ideas please let me know

ReputationRep:
    There was another similar website but I can't remember what it was called.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    There was another similar website but I can't remember what it was called.
    Well if you remember please do let me know

ReputationRep:
    www.whatsthatbook.com

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I have posted on that site, but please say if anyone comes up with anything else

ReputationRep:
    Really interesting to know what book are we talking about?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    LPauling, I've just been googling: briefcase bomb whitehouse radiation cancer sex lake

...I'm now on an FBI/GCHQ watchlist.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely a better website, where they have experts who really are, well, expert at finding your book with often the most obscure bits of information. I stumbled across it about a year ago, and was blown away by their knowledge. It didn't come up in a Google search though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElenKo)
    Really interesting to know what book are we talking about?
    Read the first post - I dont know the author or title

Basically I read a book I believe in 2012 but have completely forgotten its name or author and would really like to find it.
    The opening chapters were about a group of people who were tracking a briefcase and placed some kind of tracker on the mans trousers. They followed him to a building but realised too late that the briefcase had been switch and then a bomb goes off and everyone dies except the person who becomes the main character.
    I am not 100% for the rest of the book, something involving someone with cancer and a necklace attempting to get into the whitehouse to avoid radiation detectors. And a sex scene in a lake in one chapter. If anyone has any ideas what the book was that would be helpful. It was a fairly large book, I had a hardback copy with a blue front cover. I believe the book was set in 1970-1990s. I would say the topic was a thriller

Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Just been googling: briefcase bomb whitehouse radiation cancer sex lake

I'm now on an FBI/GCHQ watchlist.

Thanks.
    Yeah that was me yesterday haha, I don't think it was a bestseller or anything so sadly couldn't find anything annoyingly! Am tearing my house apart trying to find the book but may have donated it to a charity shop or something
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    Yeah that was me yesterday haha, I don't think it was a bestseller or anything so sadly couldn't find anything annoyingly! Am tearing my house apart trying to find the book but may have donated it to a charity shop or something

And if you can't find markova21's website maybe just ask at the local library, or Waterstones. They are pretty good at remembering these kinds of things.

Or ask them via Twitter/Facebook.

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely a better website, where they have experts who really are, well, expert at finding your book with often the most obscure bits of information. I stumbled across it about a year ago, and was blown away by their knowledge. It didn't come up in a Google search though.
    Let me know if you come across it, was really hoping someone may have remembered it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

And if you can't find markova21's website maybe just ask at the local library, or Waterstones. They are pretty good at remembering these kinds of things.

Or ask them via Twitter/Facebook.
    I will told off tweeting them but maybe not for much longer!

ReputationRep:
    I just went on the US version of Google, google.com. Still had no luck , but I did come across an interesting website that had lots of info about other help websites. It's http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...itle-or-author. If you scroll down that page it lists lots of info. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I just went on the US version of Google, google.com. Still had no luck , but I did come across an interesting website that had lots of info about other help websites. It's http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...itle-or-author. If you scroll down that page it lists lots of info. Hope this helps.
    Thank you shall have a look through that now, it is so annoying

ReputationRep:
    I've actually spent the last few years trying to re-acquire all my old childhood things. In 1986, just before I moved to Paris, my mum moved from Stretford in Manchester to Stockport. She was moving from a two bedroom house into a one bedroom flat. I had moved out a few months earlier and was living with my friend and her family but it didn't work out. While I was living away, my mum moved. She didn't tell me or ask me, but threw away every childhood book, toy, game, doll and teddy bear I had ever owned. Everything. I found out a few weeks after she had moved, and when they were long gone and collected by the binmen. I was devastated. I have spent the last few years trying to remember all the nice things I used to have and where possible, buying duplicate copies of them all over again. There is a lovely telling the time board book I used to have, called Tick Tock All Around The Clock, that should be arriving via Amazon today. The little rhyming story inside and the lovely illustrations made it one of my most favourite books. I'm going to be so happy when it arrives today and after 30 years, will finally have it again !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.