Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I've actually spent the last few years trying to re-acquire all my old childhood things. In 1986, just before I moved to Paris, my mum moved from Stretford in Manchester to Stockport. She was moving from a two bedroom house into a one bedroom flat. I had moved out a few months earlier and was living with my friend and her family but it didn't work out. While I was living away, my mum moved. She didn't tell me or ask me, but threw away every childhood book, toy, game, doll and teddy bear I had ever owned. Everything. I found out a few weeks after she had moved, and when they were long gone and collected by the binmen. I was devastated. I have spent the last few years trying to remember all the nice things I used to have and where possible, buying duplicate copies of them all over again. There is a lovely telling the time board book I used to have, called Tick Tock All Around The Clock, that should be arriving via Amazon today. The little rhyming story inside and the lovely illustrations made it one of my most favourite books. I'm going to be so happy when it arrives today and after 30 years, will finally have it again !!
    That is a shame but at least you are getting some of it back,

It is just annoying me as to what the title of this book is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    That is a shame but at least you are getting some of it back,

It is just annoying me as to what the title of this book is!
    What type of book is it, and what is it about? What year was it published, roughly?

ReputationRep:
    What type of book is it, and what is it about? What year was it published, roughly?
    Basically I read a book I believe in 2012 but have completely forgotten its name or author and would really like to find it.
    The opening chapters were about a group of people who were tracking a briefcase and placed some kind of tracker on the mans trousers. They followed him to a building but realised too late that the briefcase had been switch and then a bomb goes off and everyone dies except the person who becomes the main character.
    I am not 100% for the rest of the book, something involving someone with cancer and a necklace attempting to get into the whitehouse to avoid radiation detectors. And a sex scene in a lake in one chapter. If anyone has any ideas what the book was that would be helpful. It was a fairly large book, I had a hardback copy with a blue front cover. I believe the book was set in 1970-1990s. I would say the topic was a thriller and that it was probably written in the last 30 years.

ReputationRep:
    Basically I read a book I believe in 2012 but have completely forgotten its name or author and would really like to find it.
    The opening chapters were about a group of people who were tracking a briefcase and placed some kind of tracker on the mans trousers. They followed him to a building but realised too late that the briefcase had been switch and then a bomb goes off and everyone dies except the person who becomes the main character.
    I am not 100% for the rest of the book, something involving someone with cancer and a necklace attempting to get into the whitehouse to avoid radiation detectors. And a sex scene in a lake in one chapter. If anyone has any ideas what the book was that would be helpful. It was a fairly large book, I had a hardback copy with a blue front cover. I believe the book was set in 1970-1990s. I would say the topic was a thriller and that it was probably written in the last 30 years.
    Is it Trackers by Patrick Carman?

ReputationRep:
    The main character was a middle/older aged man and there was a younger female involved later in the storyline, he had severe burns from the explosion in chapter 1

ReputationRep:
    Sadly not but thank you for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Most up to date description.
    I am not 100% for the rest of the book, something involving someone with cancer and a necklace attempting to get into the whitehouse to avoid radiation detectors. And a sex scene in a lake in one chapter.
    If anyone has any ideas what the book was that would be helpful. It was a fairly large book, I had a hardback copy with a blue front cover.
    I believe the book was set in 1970-1990s.
    I would say the topic was a thriller and aimed at adults
    Please help!!!

ReputationRep:
    Montana 1948

ReputationRep:
    Bioterrorism books

ReputationRep:
    Stephen leathers thriller books check them out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlchemistress)
    Montana 1948
    sadly none but thank you for the suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    Might do better if you can remember some of the main plot points and character motivations rather than the tiny details

also is it set in the distant future, near future, present day etc.

sex scenes are pretty common in thriller genre books and probably aren't that memorable

who was the man and why were they tracking the his trousers - what was anyone trying to achieve?

it's more likely to be known as 'the one where the russian mafia tried to assassinate the vice president of the USA because...' than the 'the one where someone put a tracker in someones trousers and also had sex in a lake'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Might do better if you can remember some of the main plot points and character motivations rather than the tiny details

also is it set in the distant future, near future, present day etc.

sex scenes are pretty common in thriller genre books and probably aren't that memorable

who was the man and why were they tracking the his trousers - what was anyone trying to achieve?

it's more likely to be known as 'the one where the russian mafia tried to assassinate the vice president of the USA because...' than the 'the one where someone put a tracker in someones trousers and also had sex in a lake'
    Sadly I cant remember specific details otherwise I would have posted them or found it on google

I said it was set in I would guess 1980-1990s. Wasn't sci-fi at all
    I believe they thought there was some kind of money in the briefcase but I am not 100%
    Unfortunately I can't remember who they worked for or why they were trying to save/kill the president.
    I just remember the first chapter very well and was hoping the tiny details might help someone else remember, I know it isnt a lot to go off but have tried to put in all I remember
    I believe the group were spies for the American Government but it turned out that the bomb was to try to get rid of them and the only guy that survived turned on the government
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Sadly I cant remember specific details otherwise I would have posted them or found it on google

I said it was set in I would guess 1980-1990s. Wasn't sci-fi at all
    I believe they thought there was some kind of money in the briefcase but I am not 100%
    Unfortunately I can't remember who they worked for or why they were trying to save/kill the president.
    I just remember the first chapter very well and was hoping the tiny details might help someone else remember, I know it isnt a lot to go off but have tried to put in all I remember
    I believe the group were spies for the American Government but it turned out that the bomb was to try to get rid of them and the only guy that survived turned on the government
    Any names at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Any names at all?
    Honestly have been trying to remember anything like that for ages, thank you for the suggestion
    I have also been tearing my house apart haha
    Any ideas at all?

ReputationRep:
    If it's in the house somewhere there's a high likliehood of you finding it. Don't know how massive your house is, but I would imagine you can rule out it being in certain rooms straight away, like the bathroom or your parents bedroom? So try and narrow it down to where it could be. Perhaps still inside an old rucksack? [ I'm intrigued now to know what this book is ] !

ReputationRep:
    www.abebooks.com have a book sleuth where you can post your questions asking about a book you don't know the title of.

ReputationRep:
    the plot & theme search on here looks like it might be useful
    http://allreaders.com/bookSearcha.asp?SubjectID=2

ReputationRep:
    If it's in the house somewhere there's a high likliehood of you finding it. Don't know how massive your house is, but I would imagine you can rule out it being in certain rooms straight away, like the bathroom or your parents bedroom? So try and narrow it down to where it could be. Perhaps still inside an old rucksack? [ I'm intrigued now to know what this book is ] !
    It is quite likely that is was probably given to a charity shop but am looking

www.abebooks.com have a book sleuth where you can post your questions asking about a book you don't know the title of.
    Thank you will try that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.