Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

2:2 Degree from UCL, what are my options? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I just graduated from UCL with a high 2:2 (BSc.Chemistry (Hons) and feel devastated as expected. My third year grades have not been resounding mainly due to founding a rapidly growing fintech start-up in second year (Which I aim to temporarily leave for a grad scheme to gain more experience). I have extensive experience otherwise with EY and Google summer Internships + 1 Banking summer analyst role.

Can this experience serve as extenuating circumstances for 2:1 graduate schemes and what are my prospects?

Any advice is very much appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Alana.S2017)
    I just graduated from UCL with a high 2:2 (BSc.Chemistry (Hons) and feel devastated as expected. My third year grades have not been resounding mainly due to founding a rapidly growing fintech start-up in second year (Which I aim to temporarily leave for a grad scheme to gain more experience). I have extensive experience otherwise with EY and Google summer Internships + 1 Banking summer analyst role.

Can this experience serve as extenuating circumstances for 2:1 graduate schemes and what are my prospects?

Its very tricky and unusual. I assume the start up got you into Google and EY, but in the end its cost you the 2:1.

You can approach employers and find out beforehand and they might be interested. I wouldnt apply just blind because they could simply bin all those that arent 2:1 or above.

I am unconvinced that your situation will count as extenuating circumstances, but you can try. Imo EC are normally reserved for events beyond a persons control such as bereavement or a mental illness, although the latter brings its own troubles.

Some employers might be impressed by how entrepreneurial it is, but others might say its poor judgement and your sense of judgement is poor if you did a voluntary activity which too away from your ability to achieve your main objective and for which you paid thousands of £.

Nothing to lose though, Try and see if ot makes a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Its very tricky and unusual. I assume the start up got you into Google and EY, but in the end its cost you the 2:1.

You can approach employers and find out beforehand and they might be interested. I wouldnt apply just blind because they could simply bin all those that arent 2:1 or above.

I am unconvinced that your situation will count as extenuating circumstances, but you can try. Imo EC are normally reserved for events beyond a persons control such as bereavement or a mental illness, although the latter brings its own troubles.

Some employers might be impressed by how entrepreneurial it is, but others might say its poor judgement and your sense of judgement is poor if you did a voluntary activity which too away from your ability to achieve your main objective and for which you paid thousands of £.

Nothing to lose though, Try and see if ot makes a difference.
    Thank you for your response! I just called HR up at a few schemes of interest and explained the situation - found out Bloomberg and Lloyds Bank would allow it! I'll keep reaching out to employers and see how it goes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Won't be extenuating circumstances unfortunately. They are things that are out of your control and these circumstances were very much in your control.

Plus if you are applying to graduate programmes, you might want to play down the fact you have started your own company - it will probably create more questions as to why you are not continuing with that and pursuing a "standard" career instead.

Other companies might quite like it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

What does your tutor say?
    Have you seen careers?
    How about doing a masters and getting high 2:/1 level?

Its one of those strange things that you can never amend the results of your first degree. No retakes that is it. Once you are employed then it matters a lot less, but getting the foot in the door is the 2:1, even if it was 59.5%. Going to UCL I dont think is going to save you that much. You just have to take ownership of it and ry different avenues then one may eventually work.
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you for your response! I just called HR up at a few schemes of interest and explained the situation - found out Bloomberg and Lloyds Bank would allow it! I'll keep reaching out to employers and see how it goes.
    There you go not as dark as you thought. Better to do it that way imo to save the effort. Look at what JSP said as he/she is a recruiter, but what might appeal to one could be a turn off for another so be careful how you pitch what has gone on and what your current relationship with your business is.

ReputationRep:
    Mention it on you cover letter in a significant eye-catching place, like it's own small paragraph.

I won't mention where I'm doing an internship (possibly same place as your analyst spot) but I can tell you many people I have met say they have 2:2s (young, not old) and all have reasonable circumstances OR a heavy work experience backing coupled with a good network. You have both, so it's fine.

However, never apply lest you make sure it's fine by calling the HR (or, even better, find them on L'in and ask)

ReputationRep:
    One option could be contacting the careers department (I think they have one at UCL - I went there but never used it).

I was recently speaking to a friend of mine who works for Leicester Uni. Her job is to help students find jobs. However it goes beyond just helping them with writing a CV. A lot of what she does is directly contact employers, putting them in contact with ideal students, arrange meetings etc. You sound like you have a really strong CV, except for not having a 2.1. Thats going to really hurt you when it comes to grad applications where youre automatically filtered out before you get a chance to explain the other experience you have. I imagine you could get an offer if you were able to get your CV in to the right places, and perhaps careers help might be the way to do that.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.