Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Oxford MAT what was your first score? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I am doing past MAT papers and getting scores around 60/100 . On average I get around 40 marks on the long questions and 20 marks on the multiple choice questions. I am still struggling with the time limit on the multiple choice questions and most of the time end up wasting an hour for the multiple choice questions and solve the rest of the long questions in the other one and a half hours. How did you do on your first past MAT papers? Am I doing alright ? How long did it take for you to get a score around 80? Thank you very much in advance !

ReputationRep:
    in my actual i got 84

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I was more interested in the results you or anybody else may have had in past papers you may have taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moriheru)
    I am doing past MAT papers and getting scores around 60/100 . On average I get around 40 marks on the long questions and 20 marks on the multiple choice questions. I am still struggling with the time limit on the multiple choice questions and most of the time end up wasting an hour for the multiple choice questions and solve the rest of the long questions in the other one and a half hours. How did you do on your first past MAT papers? Am I doing alright ? How long did it take for you to get a score around 80? Thank you very much in advance !
    This is probably something you already know, but the MAT website (https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-her...dmissions-test) has info for each MAT paper on the average scores of: all candidates; shortlisted candidates; successful candidates

Obviously that isn't too helpful to establish how you might improve as you do more mocks, but it should atleast reassure you that 60 would put you in with a shout for an interview assuming the rest of your application is reasonably competitive.

Keep practising and see what improvements you can make!

again, sorry if this information is all stuff you already know!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was aware of the average score, but never the less thanks for your reply !

ReputationRep:
    At any rate, is it normal that one has trouble at the start with the exam or did you instantly get good marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moriheru)
    At any rate, is it normal that one has trouble at the start with the exam or did you instantly get good marks?
    Honestly, if you're hitting 60 atm then you're not really struggling. The MAT is designed so that the average hits around 50/100. With a good set of GCSEs I'm almost certain that 60 would get you an interview at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazy)
    Honestly, if you're hitting 60 atm then you're not really struggling. The MAT is designed so that the average hits around 50/100. With a good set of GCSEs I'm almost certain that 60 would get you an interview at Oxford.
    Are MAT and GCSEs the most important part of an application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamilb)
    Are MAT and GCSEs the most important part of an application?
    No I certainly don't think so ! What I was told at the open day was, that it is more about the Personal statement, MAT score and teachers references, aswell as how you perform in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazy)
    Thanks

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.