Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Hospital charging own nurses £150,000 to park! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you hate when you get hit with a parking fine when you're out and about? Imagine being fined just to park at your workplace.... and you're a nurse or a cleaner at a hospital!

'Nearly 80 members of staff at a Cardiff hospital have been left "broken" by a court ruling that means they owe thousands of pounds in parking tickets, a campaigner has said...

'one nurse had tickets amounting to £150,000.
    "It's horrendous. Some of them [staff] are broken...This affects everyone from cleaners to doctors."'

The staff have permits which allow them to park in certain areas for £1.05 a day (ridiculous enough considering their job), but a lack of space means that they are forced to park in 'unauthorised areas', leading to the fines. Some staff members spend up to an hour every day trying to park, and many feel they wont be able to pay the fines back!

What do you think of this story? Do you agree with the ruling? Should hospital workers be exempt from parking fees at their own workplace? Let me know!

ReputationRep:
    It's their own fault - if there isn't enough space for everyone then they should either carpool or take public transport. Of course, some of the blame should be reserved for the immigrants who are causing our hospitals to overflow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    It's their own fault - if there isn't enough space for everyone then they should either carpool or take public transport. Of course, some of the blame should be reserved for the immigrants who are causing our hospitals to overflow.
    Expected from a UKIP Supporter.

ReputationRep:
    Another lesson in how to prevent hospital workers emigrating :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer1311)
    Do you hate when you get hit with a parking fine when you're out and about? Imagine being fined just to park at your workplace.... and you're a nurse or a cleaner at a hospital!

'Nearly 80 members of staff at a Cardiff hospital have been left "broken" by a court ruling that means they owe thousands of pounds in parking tickets, a campaigner has said...

"It's horrendous. Some of them [staff] are broken...This affects everyone from cleaners to doctors."'

The staff have permits which allow them to park in certain areas for £1.05 a day (ridiculous enough considering their job), but a lack of space means that they are forced to park in 'unauthorised areas', leading to the fines. Some staff members spend up to an hour every day trying to park, and many feel they wont be able to pay the fines back!

What do you think of this story? Do you agree with the ruling? Should hospital workers be exempt from parking fees at their own workplace? Let me know!
    Thread title is extremely misleading. They are being made to pay their parking tickets accrued while working (by a court ruling). 1 person has £150000 worth to pay.
    Its a shame people are extremely boneheaded, perhaps they could try leaving earlier to get a place, or find some other travel method (car share maybe, or the bus or a taxi)
    Yes. They got the parking tickets then refused to pay them. This is a case of 'you made your bed, now lie in it'.
    I dont really have an opinion on whether or not.

ReputationRep:
    One of my daughters is a senior ward sister on the cardiac ward at our local hospital. She has to pay for her parking at the hospital car park. To those clowns on this site who thinks she should leave early/share a car/pay for her own parking ....she is on call 24/7 because the Trust is too tight or are unable recruit nurses. If she is on call at night when her bleeper goes, how is she supposed to get to work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spratty)
    Expected from a UKIP Supporter.
    The overflow of immigrants in our hospitals in my experience is in terms of nurses, doctors, cleaners and other staff. The majority of cleaners, doctors, nurses etc in my local hospital are in fact, immigrants. Much of the NHS would come to a standstill if it wasn't for immigrant workers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer1311)
    Where does the article say that?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have sympathy for anyone complaining about parking. Talk about first world problems. Being able to park your car either by your house or at work is not a human right. If you work in almost any city centre, chances are you can't afford to park your car so you take other measures. Same goes for the hospital. And if the hospital can't attract enough workers because they can't get to work, then the hospital need to provide some form of provision.

I know hospital workers do an important job, but I hate this idea that they are some sort of heroes and should be given special treatment from society. What fool parks, gets a ticket and ignores it and gets another ticket and so on? Do they genuinely think the tickets are handed out for fun?

ReputationRep:
    "Hospital charging own nurses £150,000 to park!"

Honestly, what on earth is with these ridiculous titles recently, especially from TSR staff.

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Where does the article say that?
    I think the article has been updated, as I did read it earlier and the £150,000 figure was mentioned but seems to have been withdrawn from the article. The BBC News tweet still has the old headline though.

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I don't have sympathy for anyone complaining about parking. Talk about first world problems. Being able to park your car either by your house or at work is not a human right. If you work in almost any city centre, chances are you can't afford to park your car so you take other measures. Same goes for the hospital. And if the hospital can't attract enough workers because they can't get to work, then the hospital need to provide some form of provision.

I know hospital workers do an important job, but I hate this idea that they are some sort of heroes and should be given special treatment from society. What fool parks, gets a ticket and ignores it and gets another ticket and so on? Do they genuinely think the tickets are handed out for fun?
    of course it (should) be. Then again, I have a driveway - do I and my parents not have a right to park on that? or should any tom, **** or Harry be able to park on it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Morsey_)
    "Hospital charging own nurses £150,000 to park!"

Honestly, what on earth is with these ridiculous titles recently, especially from TSR staff.

I think the article has been updated, as I did read it earlier and the £150,000 figure was mentioned but seems to have been withdrawn from the article. The BBC News tweet still has the old headline though.

Hmm, probably some after-the-fact checking by the BBC.

I honestly can't see either Indigo or a court actually enforcing a £150k parking "fine".

ReputationRep:
    The hospital should provide enough designated parking spaces for its staff because it needs those staff to fulfil its main purpose of saving people's lives. Why is it giving out more permits than permitted parking spaces?

This is a sorry state of affairs, likely arising from selling their car park to some private firm Indigo who won't let them amend the contract. I'm surprised that the court didn't rule the charges were extortionate, unless they actually expect to make £128 per day from each parking spot?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    TThis is a sorry state of affairs, likely arising from selling their car park to some private firm Indigo who won't let them amend the contract. I'm surprised that the court didn't rule the charges were extortionate, unless they actually expect to make £128 per day from each parking spot?
    The contract was awarded to Indigo by the previous NHS trust, so the current trust inherited a difficult situation. But yes seems like some common sense is needed...

The only people who win are the lawyers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    Love how you managed to shoehorn in migration into a thread on carparks.

I really appreciate your attempts to satirise UKIP supporters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is an extreme example of something really common unfortunately. Hospital parking is incredibly expensive let alone having to do it every day, on top of the permit in a lot of places. They should have paid them but that doesn't make it right that they have to.

ReputationRep:
    the BBC article has since been edited, it did previously say one nurse had £150,000 in parking fines.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people complain about car parking charges. You want the service, you pay for it. Learn to pay your way through life .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack22031994)
    of course it (should) be. Then again, I have a driveway - do I and my parents not have a right to park on that? or should any tom, **** or Harry be able to park on it?
    Its your land. You can do what you like with it. But you don't have a right to park right outside your house, or right outside your place of work.

ReputationRep:
    Should have paid their parking tickets and learnt from their mistake.

There are very few private companies that pay for their staff's parking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.