Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hospital charging own nurses £150,000 to park! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whiskey&Freedom)
    I don't understand why people complain about car parking charges. You want the service, you pay for it. Learn to pay your way through life .
    But it's the NHS! They are saving Lives! LIVES! PEOPLE'S LIVES!!.......(even the cleaners apparently)

I do quite like the NHS despite its problems. But the hysteria this country throws up over every single damn thing related to it is very tiring. It's managed to constantly been both "the envy of the world" and also "in perpetual crisis" for as long as I can remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Spartan)
    But it's the NHS! They are saving Lives! LIVES! PEOPLE'S LIVES!!.......(even the cleaners apparently)

I do quite like the NHS despite its problems. But the hysteria this country throws up over every single damn thing related to it is very tiring. It's managed to constantly been both "the envy of the world" and also "in perpetual crisis" for as long as I can remember.
    NHS needs to be privatised. People who pay for their own healthcare are incentivised to look after themselves.

High carp park charges are a good thing as it means less poor people bed blocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer1311)
    The staff have permits which allow them to park in certain areas for £1.05 a day (ridiculous enough considering their job),
    You seem to be saying that hospital staff, including cleaners, should not have to pay for parking. Can you please explain why that should be the case?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Hmm, probably some after-the-fact checking by the BBC.

I honestly can't see either Indigo or a court actually enforcing a £150k parking "fine".
    (Original post by summer1311)
    the BBC article has since been edited, it did previously say one nurse had £150,000 in parking fines.
    It seems as if the company involved took the case to court against persistent offenders who decided they would make a stand. This from the Daily Mail website:

'As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled. In addition, the cost of a Parking Charge Notice was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days. Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.'

[/u]

Apparently there are park and ride schemes which cost £1 and 98% of staff comply with the parking rules.

The repeat offender miscreant staff decided to gamble with the court ruling in their favour. Contract law and the judgement is clear: that staff knowingly entered a contract with no intent to pay. They seemed to have been given enough opportunity to back down

It remains to be seen whether the company involved will pursue staff for the higher claims above a certain threshold. Having made their point, they may well drop the charges over a certain threshold - enough to still sting.

We will see.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    It seems as if the company involved took the case to court against persistent offenders who decided they would make a stand. This from the Daily Mail website:

'As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled. In addition, the cost of a Parking Charge Notice was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days. Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4n6BkeZVc

Apparently there are park and ride schemes which cost £1 and 98% of staff comply with the parking rules.

The repeat offender miscreant staff decided to gamble with the court ruling in their favour. Contract law and the judgement is clear: that staff knowingly entered a contract with no intent to pay.

It remains to be seen whether the company involved will pursue staff for the higher claims above a certain threshold. Having made their point, they may well drop the charges over a certain threshold - enough to still sting.

We will see.
    Yep, I suspect it will be capped. Legal fees plus some additional recompense, but not the full amount.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.