Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Which college should I choose? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from two colleges and would like to do the BTEC Business Diploma(worth two A levels) and A level History.

I ended up dropping out of all four of my AS subjects this year due to them not being the right courses for me. I am now restarting lower sixth and want to only do three subjects.

The college I currently go to is very reputed college but is only willingly to let me do the do the BTEC Business Diploma and not A level History as they think the workload will be more manageable. The other college is a bit less reputed but willingly to let me do the BTEC Business Diploma and A level History which is everything I want.

Which college should I go with? Should I be concerned about the reputation or subjects more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeana99)
    I have offers from two colleges and would like to do the BTEC Business Diploma(worth two A levels) and A level History.

I ended up dropping out of all four of my AS subjects this year due to them not being the right courses for me. I am now restarting lower sixth and want to only do three subjects.

The college I currently go to is very reputed college but is only willingly to let me do the do the BTEC Business Diploma and not A level History as they think the workload will be more manageable. The other college is a bit less reputed but willingly to let me do the BTEC Business Diploma and A level History which is everything I want.

Which college should I go with? Should I be concerned about the reputation or subjects more?
    Why does your current college feel you can't handle the work load? What is there evidence?

Why did you need the history a level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    Why does your current college feel you can't handle the work load? What is there evidence?

Why did you need the history a level?
    I ended up dropping one of my four subjects this year in January left with three AS levels only. I than could not manage the three either and ended up dropping out of the exams in May.

I went to taster day and struggled with the tasks a bit and also did not take a pen and did not bring in the work we were told to complete and bring to the taster day.

I struggled with the tasks because I have ADHD and sometimes find it hard to concentrate thus not being able to complete the work. I did not take a pen because I thought stationary would be provided at the taster day and with the work I had done it but did not bring it in because I mistakenly assumed it was supposed to be brought in for the first lesson in September. The college took advantage of all this and refused to give me three subjects. I want to go to Uni and nearly all require a minimum of three subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I ended up dropping one of my four subjects this year in January left with three AS levels only. I than could not manage the three either and ended up dropping out of the exams in May.

I went to taster day and struggled with the tasks a bit and also did not take a pen and did not bring in the work we were told to complete and bring to the taster day.

I struggled with the tasks because I have ADHD and sometimes find it hard to concentrate thus not being able to complete the work. I did not take a pen because I thought stationary would be provided at the taster day and with the work I had done it but did not bring it in because I mistakenly assumed it was supposed to be brought in for the first lesson in September. The college took advantage of all this and refused to give me three subjects. I want to go to Uni and nearly all require a minimum of three subjects.
    Could you do 3 Btecs or something to get the 3 subjects required? Some people are better at coursework over exams so may be worth looking into alternative combinations your current school has. Maybe set up a meeting with your head of year and explain what you want to do at uni and what you need

ReputationRep:
    Could you do 3 Btecs or something to get the 3 subjects required? Some people are better at coursework over exams so may be worth looking into alternative combinations your current school has. Maybe set up a meeting with your head of year and explain what you want to do at uni and what you need
    I am good at coursework more than exams and that's the reason I picked the BTEC in the first place. It's not a school it's a sixth form college and they have clearly said only BTEC Business Diploma (2 A levels) nothing more than that.

Which college should I go with? My heart is hurting to let go of such a reputed college such as Peter Symonds college. I am thinking of going to Barton Peveril college but the only thing that puts me of is that it's less reputed.

ReputationRep:
    I am good at coursework more than exams and that's the reason I picked the BTEC in the first place. It's not a school it's a sixth form college and they have clearly said only BTEC Business Diploma (2 A levels) nothing more than that.

Which college should I go with? My heart is hurting to let go of such a reputed college such as Peter Symonds college. I am thinking of going to Barton Peveril college but the only thing that puts me of is that it's less reputed.
    I do not believe uni cares about what school you went to (except maybe if private or state) so if that is the only way to do the combination that you want to go to uni/career you want, I would say go for the less reputable college to be able to do the combination if you are sure you need the 3 to do your course afterwards

ReputationRep:
    I do not believe uni cares about what school you went to (except maybe if private or state) so if that is the only way to do the combination that you want to go to uni/career you want, I would say go for the less reputable college to be able to do the combination if you are sure you need the 3 to do your course afterwards
    I was going to go with that option anyway but just decided to take some advice online as well. To be honest I care about the subjects more than the college.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go with that option anyway but just decided to take some advice online as well. To be honest I care about the subjects more than the college.
    Then follow the subjects! Good luck with the courses

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.