Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a big drinker, in fact, I hardly ever drink. This is by choice as I just don't see the attraction to drinking as much as the majority I guess.

So when I saw that alcohol free accommodation was an option at my first choice uni I thought that I would choose one of those since I would avoid rowdy flatmates and pressure to go out. But now I'm wondering if I am fretting over nothing and if I am just thinking of the worst case?

Sure I could go into a normal type flat and learn to be confident in my choices but on the other hand going into an alcohol free flat get rid of that need. However is it going to be limiting to me in terms of meeting lots of different people? Is it me just wanting the safe option?

This turned out to be me rambling but I would love opinions on whether I should choose normal type accommodation or alcohol free?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaimu)
    I'm not a big drinker, in fact, I hardly ever drink. This is by choice as I just don't see the attraction to drinking as much as the majority I guess.

So when I saw that alcohol free accommodation was an option at my first choice uni I thought that I would choose one of those since I would avoid rowdy flatmates and pressure to go out. But now I'm wondering if I am fretting over nothing and if I am just thinking of the worst case?

Sure I could go into a normal type flat and learn to be confident in my choices but on the other hand going into an alcohol free flat get rid of that need. However is it going to be limiting to me in terms of meeting lots of different people? Is it me just wanting the safe option?

This turned out to be me rambling but I would love opinions on whether I should choose normal type accommodation or alcohol free?
    Alcohol free doesn't mean you won't meet loads of different people, you will meet people in your course and the people in accommodation may all have different reasons, some will be like you, some will be religious some will do it for health reason but none of it means they wont bee fun people like you!

ReputationRep:
    You may get lonely in the alcohol accomodation as everyone will be out all the time, but in the non-alcohol one you'll be able to do fun stuff with more like-minded people like games nights or watching films and stuff, so it sounds like a good idea to me! I would've loved if I had that option in uni - I felt very left out because I didn't enjoy drinking

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol free accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaimu)

Plenty of people still go out without drinking and have a good time. You might be isolating yourself by going into an accommodation where others are most likely to be shy and less likely to want to interact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moonstruck16)
    Alcohol free accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, I've never heard of that either

ReputationRep:
    I would go for it. If you aren't enjoying yourself, perhaps your uni will let you change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    Plenty of people still go out without drinking and have a good time. You might be isolating yourself by going into an accommodation where others are most likely to be shy and less likely to want to interact.
    What makes you think people who prefer not to drink alcohol are unlikely to interact and be shy?

OP, I think you'll be fine, you know which environment is best for you. Getting put with good flat mates is like a lucky draw, sometimes you end up living with amazing people, other times not so much. Presence of alcohol has no effect on that. You'll still make plenty of friends through societies, your course, your flat mates, people living on your floor, your friends' flat mates. But at the end of the day you'll go home to an alcohol free accommodation (which I'm assuming you'd like because you picked it)! If your flat mates are not party animals but you would still like to party you'll meet plenty of people you can go with. Much like on this post, there will always be people who find individuals that are different to them unapproachable and weird, but don't let myths or preconceptions stop you from being in a 100% comfortable environment. You will always be able to make friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dot.Cotton)
    Enjoy living with a bunch of Chinese people then. Tip: you might want to hold your nose.
    Why would OP need to hold their nose? Any more racist comments you'd like to make?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolcucumber007)
    What makes you think people who prefer not to drink alcohol are unlikely to interact and be shy?

OP, I think you'll be fine, you know which environment is best for you. Getting put with good flat mates is like a lucky draw, sometimes you end up living with amazing people, other times not so much. Presence of alcohol has no effect on that. You'll still make plenty of friends through societies, your course, your flat mates, people living on your floor, your friends' flat mates. But at the end of the day you'll go home to an alcohol free accommodation (which I'm assuming you'd like because you picked it)! If your flat mates are not party animals but you would still like to party you'll meet plenty of people you can go with. Much like on this post, there will always be people who find individuals that are different to them unapproachable and weird, but don't let myths or preconceptions stop you from being in a 100% comfortable environment. You will always be able to make friends.
    My experience of four years at university makes me think that.

ReputationRep:
    My experience of four years at university makes me think that.
    Sure, and everyone has different experiences! Like I said getting flat mates you 'click' with in first year is like a lucky draw.
    OP can always live with his/her friends of choice after first year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolcucumber007)
    Sure, and everyone has different experiences! Like I said getting flat mates you 'click' with in first year is like a lucky draw.
    OP can always live with his/her friends of choice after first year anyway.
    Yes, and most of the time people use their own experiences to advise others on certain situations. It's up to OP if he wants to take my advice, I am merely providing examples of my own experiences that may or may not apply to the OP's own eventual experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and most of the time people use their own experiences to advise others on certain situations. It's up to OP if he wants to take my advice, I am merely providing examples of my own experiences that may or may not apply to the OP's own eventual experiences.
    Agreed! I was only addressing the part where you generalised saying that poeple in alcohol free accommodation are 'most likely to be shy and less likely to want to interact'. Perhaps saying 'in my experience the people I was around were shy and didn't want to interact' would have made that clear.

ReputationRep:
    Most people who live in normal flats are mostly okay.loads of people don't actually go out a lot but sometimes drink.
    I knew people begat lived in alcohol free flats but would still drink in there friends flat cause there flats were quite boring haha

ReputationRep:
    they shoulda had this option available at my uni. living with a bunch of drunks caused me to leave.

ReputationRep:
    Its true though. You will find more people who don't want to interact in Alcohol free accomodation. There isn't a lot of diversity either, as the majority will be Chinese, Indian, Pakistani ect. Many of the residents will be muslim aswell, wether that a good or bad thing, thats up to you. People outside your flats might also think your no good for a laugh as well, as people can be very judgmental at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    they shoulda had this option available at my uni. living with a bunch of drunks caused me to leave.
    You dropped out of university because people liked to have a drink? Haha, weak.

ReputationRep:
    You drop out of university because people liked to have a drink? Haha, weak.
    no, the Accomodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    no, the Accomodation
    Oh, that's a shame..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.