Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Does anyone know about pull ups? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im only really good at one thing in life and thats pull ups lol. Ive tried athletics/running and other events im not good. I tried pole vault but i wasnt brave enough to progress in it. im ok at climbing/bouldering but my short height lets me down (im 5ft) Yet when i do pull ups people for some reason think its awesome. I didnt know that most people struggle to do 1. I can do about 7 full ones untrained and with a bit of training get to 14. Im ok at rope climbing too i canclimb a rope without using my feet. Rather thsn comming last all the time at sprinting/running i thought i might as well train in and compete in what im better at but its not really a sport or event is it lol. Do they have pull up or rope climbing competitions or similar?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    Im only really good at one thing in life and thats pull ups lol. Ive tried athletics/running and other events im not good. I tried pole vault but i wasnt brave enough to progress in it. im ok at climbing/bouldering but my short height lets me down (im 5ft) Yet when i do pull ups people for some reason think its awesome. I didnt know that most people struggle to do 1. I can do about 7 full ones untrained and with a bit of training get to 14. Im ok at rope climbing too i canclimb a rope without using my feet. Rather thsn comming last all the time at sprinting/running i thought i might as well train in and compete in what im better at but its not really a sport or event is it lol. Do they have pull up or rope climbing competitions or similar?
    Gymnastics was invented for people like you

ReputationRep:
    My two-year-old is just going into them.

What do you need to know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Gymnastics was invented for people like you
    well i rang to join a gymnastics group 7 years ago when i was 21 or something and they said i was too old. So i'l be too old now. Plus i have no flexibility.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    well i rang to join a gymnastics group 7 years ago when i was 21 or something and they said i was too old. So i'l be too old now. Plus i have no flexibility.
    There are adult gym sessions at many clubs, and your flexibility can be improved with training/practice.

Check out:
    https://www.british-gymnastics.org/d...ult-gymnastics

ReputationRep:
    People who are short but strong do well in weightlifting. Short limbs are a significant advantage in lifting weights. And being short your body weight is probably low which means calisthenics are easier for you.

How old are you? I would expect most young adults who exercise regularly and go to the gym to manage 7-10 pulls ups with a little training TBH.

ReputationRep:
    The majority if people under 80kg in gyms can probably do about 10 pullups... They get much easier the less you weigh. If you've got a light frame then go for gymnastics... Or calisthenics. You could also try weightlifting as mentioned above - Not bodybuilding as such but more powerlifting. A lot of professional powerlifters are short simply because the weight has less distance to travel and so is natural for them. All depends on what type of body you want.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If these are legit - full ROM pull ups then 14 is a decent number, but not particularly amazing number. I can do 20 at 95ish kg bw, I have a friend who weighs around 70kg who can do 40 with limited effort

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.