Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why is it that Social Anxiety Disorder tends to be more common in middle-class backgr Watch

Why does it appear that Social Anxiety Disorder tends to be more common in middle/upper class backgrounds than lower class ones. While other mental health issues/disorders (such as Schizophrenia, Bipolar NPD etc etc) tend to be more common in low-socio economic backgrounds?

In my experience those diagnosed with NPD, Schizophrenia, Depression etc etc came from broken families, raised by a single mother, had alcoholic dads etc etc (Note I am stressing that in general not all of them)

While those with Social Anxiety Disorder tend to stand out by (note I said in my experience and it doesn't apply to all) hail from "middle-class, suburbanite 2 parent households that went to church every Sunday morning" (to get an idea from what I am talking about watch modern family or the brady bunch).

I might be stereotyping but I am just sort of describing what I have observed. I do understand that some poor/low economic types do have SAD but to me it feels more like a "rich peoples, well to do" people's disorder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why does it appear that Social Anxiety Disorder tends to be more common in middle/upper class backgrounds than lower class ones. While other mental health issues/disorders (such as Schizophrenia, Bipolar NPD etc etc) tend to be more common in low-socio economic backgrounds?

In my experience those diagnosed with NPD, Schizophrenia, Depression etc etc came from broken families, raised by a single mother, had alcoholic dads etc etc (Note I am stressing that in general not all of them)

While those with Social Anxiety Disorder tend to stand out by (note I said in my experience and it doesn't apply to all) hail from "middle-class, suburbanite 2 parent households that went to church every Sunday morning" (to get an idea from what I am talking about watch modern family or the brady bunch).

I might be stereotyping but I am just sort of describing what I have observed. I do understand that some poor/low economic types do have SAD but to me it feels more like a "rich peoples, well to do" people's disorder.
    Do you have any research papers that support your claims?

ReputationRep:
    Yes because only working class people can be alcoholics. Are you serious? A huge percentage of people get divorced from every background as well. To be honest, all you have done is present offensive stereotypes.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You mean you've just come across more people with those conditions who are considered middle-class.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience
    Wow way to make your entire topic worthless in just 3 words

ReputationRep:
    A lot of white suburban/provincial cultures seem to lack the innate tribalism that a lot of ethnic minorities and working class Brits seem to just inherently understand. They neither have a strong faith/community element like say the Hindus have with Diwali and nor do they have the gangster kind of ethic that blacks lads have in town on the friday night pull. A good lesson for them is to watch negroes cruising around city centres and observe the total worship of fast money consumerism and female flesh; no working class lad ever gave a **** about some of the social justice **** you read on here.

ReputationRep:
    I do understand that some poor/low economic types do have SAD but to me it feels more like a "rich peoples, well to do" people's disorder.
    Just an FYI; SAD, when used as a mental health acronym, is more commonly used to refer to Seasonal Affective Disorder. Might want to change that to avoid confusion.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 22, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.