Noor S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone!

I'm in a tricky situation and wanted to see what you guys would do if you were in my position. So I had Durham as my firm choice and Glasgow as my insurance. The condition for Durham was a 5 on AP Statistics and for Glasgow it was a 4 on AP Stat.

I got a 4, so now I am being considered as a "near-miss" candidate at Durham. However, I am an international student and require a visa that takes very long to come out and it's a very stressful process. So the issue here is that Durham would come back to me on the 23/24th of August, and I'm not guaranteed a space. So say they reject me by then, Glasgow starts on the 11th of September. Meaning I won't make it in time due to visa issues and I won't even have time to apply for accommodation.

Does anyone have any experience with Durham's "near-miss" process? Do you think waiting is too risky and not very worth it? Shall I go with Glasgow, apply for accommodation and a visa and have everything settled down?

Your help is much much appreciated..

Thanks!
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Noor S)
Hey everyone!

I'm in a tricky situation and wanted to see what you guys would do if you were in my position. So I had Durham as my firm choice and Glasgow as my insurance. The condition for Durham was a 5 on AP Statistics and for Glasgow it was a 4 on AP Stat.

I got a 4, so now I am being considered as a "near-miss" candidate at Durham. However, I am an international student and require a visa that takes very long to come out and it's a very stressful process. So the issue here is that Durham would come back to me on the 23/24th of August, and I'm not guaranteed a space. So say they reject me by then, Glasgow starts on the 11th of September. Meaning I won't make it in time due to visa issues and I won't even have time to apply for accommodation.

Does anyone have any experience with Durham's "near-miss" process? Do you think waiting is too risky and not very worth it? Shall I go with Glasgow, apply for accommodation and a visa and have everything settled down?

Thanks!
Durham will give out near miss on a level results day so you will know on the 17th August but you are only one grade so is likely you will get an offer. I would say wait and go to Durham, it is an amazing university and city
Cubone-r
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
What course have you applied for?
Noor S
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Cubone-r)
What course have you applied for?
Psychology
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
Have you spoken to Durham, and specifically their International Office, about your circumstances. https://www.dur.ac.uk/international.office/

However, they do have a reputation of not being very flexible, and of keeping people waiting. Neither of which is good for your situation.

You can, instead, ask Durham to reject you and let you go to your Insurance.
LPauling
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology
I think they are usually under subscribe at Durham I would say wait till 17th
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Psychology
As said previously, it is best to wait until results day and see what happens. Even if you do end up going to Glasgow, the accommodation office will be able to help you to find something.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (289)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed