Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Moving to Sheffield to start Uni age 30. What accommodation? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going in 2018 when I've turned 30. I'm unsure as to what my choices are location wise. Since I'll be getting student loan, renting a place will cause my trouble than it's worth due to limited finances. Any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by cmh1809)
    I'll be going in 2018 when I've turned 30. I'm unsure as to what my choices are location wise. Since I'll be getting student loan, renting a place will cause my trouble than it's worth due to limited finances. Any advice or suggestions?

Many thanks
    If you are going to Sheffield Uni then you have tons of options, but they fall mainly into:

1. University owned halls and apartments. The Uni is a good LL or at least a consistent one. Per week it is more expensive but its likely to be a 39 week term time contract or however long your term is. More freshers.

2. Private Halls,. Maybe slightly newer and will have greater range in facilities, but varied prices. More 2nd and 3rd years.

3. Private rented: Private LL's and student houses. 52 week contracts and bills, but cheaper per week. Normal to move into with your friends. Quality varies , but fewer rules..

Start looking at the Sheffield uni accommodation website and you can be put in with other freshers to make friends and look at the other options if that isnt your thing. Check the price, location and what you get.

the rest is just basic research. Sheffield has tons of good value accommodation.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmh1809)

Many thanks
    Good afternoon

I've had a chat with our accommodation team and they've confirmed that if you applied for (and received) a place in university accommodation, the room would be in a flat with people of a similar age - so this would be other mature undergraduate students or students who are taking a postgraduate course.

In addition to university accommodation, you can also find a place to live through PropertywithUs, which advertises rooms, flats and houses that have been vetted by the University. PropertywithUs holds house-hunting events so that if you're moving to Sheffield on your own, you can meet other students in the same position and find somewhere to live.
    https://www.propertywithus.sheffield.../Accommodation

Best of luck

Elizabeth
    Student Recruitment Officer

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I meant 2019. I'm on the Physics Open Plus scheme. Thank you to both of you for getting back to me. It definitely makes me feel a lot better knowing that the uni has help for the older students. Had me worried for a second as I want to be involved with things, but not be the creepy older guy around the younger people ha

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.