Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it to get into Mental Health Nursing courses at university? Which university is the best for this course? (Except Russell group universities)
    Thank you.
    S.Jama
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    All branches of nursing courses at university are competitive, an offer depends on the UCAS application including personal statement, work/voluntary experience, performance at selection day/interview and references. However applications are down compared to recent years due to the move from the bursary to student loans, so this may be an advantage for applicants now.

There are league tables for nursing courses, however the best university is the one that is best for you. Going to university open days will help you get a feel of the university and see if you would like to study there. Apparently after gaining the degree, unlike law degrees for example, prospective employers are not picky about where you got your degree. So it's really a personal decision about which university you want to study at.

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    All branches of nursing courses at university are competitive, an offer depends on the UCAS application including personal statement, work/voluntary experience, performance at selection day/interview and references. However applications are down compared to recent years due to the move from the bursary to student loans, so this may be an advantage for applicants now.

There are league tables for nursing courses, however the best university is the one that is best for you. Going to university open days will help you get a feel of the university and see if you would like to study there. Apparently after gaining the degree, unlike law degrees for example, prospective employers are not picky about where you got your degree. So it's really a personal decision about which university you want to study at.

I hope this helps.
    Many thanks, have you done a nursing degree before?
    Kind Regards.
    Shugri Jama.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Jama)
    Many thanks, have you done a nursing degree before?
    Kind Regards.
    Shugri Jama.
    Glad I could help. I have a conditional offer to start adult nursing this September, I am just waiting for my access course results. (I did a lot of research before applying.)

ReputationRep:
    I applied for adult nursing, but decided to turn it down and apply to mental health a year later. I would say I found getting into mental health more difficult and competitive. I'm guessing this is due to spaces as at my uni there's about 100 adult places, but some years as less than 30 mental health and even less child.
    Although I did apply when we still had the bursary and I believe applications have dipped and I know my uni seems to increase mental health places by the year. Different unis will be different too.
    In terms of unis, I went onto UCAS, found out what was available and what cities I am thinking of.
    I personally went Scotland as I like their mental health set up, but hons are 4 years not 3!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel_l218)
    Glad I could help. I have a conditional offer to start adult nursing this September, I am just waiting for my access course results. (I did a lot of research before applying.)
    Congratulations on getting a offer. Ooh cool, that's good that you've been researching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swagio)
    I applied for adult nursing, but decided to turn it down and apply to mental health a year later. I would say I found getting into mental health more difficult and competitive. I'm guessing this is due to spaces as at my uni there's about 100 adult places, but some years as less than 30 mental health and even less child.
    Although I did apply when we still had the bursary and I believe applications have dipped and I know my uni seems to increase mental health places by the year. Different unis will be different too.
    In terms of unis, I went onto UCAS, found out what was available and what cities I am thinking of.
    I personally went Scotland as I like their mental health set up, but hons are 4 years not 3!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I heard Child Nursing is the hardest branch of Nursing to get into. I am nervous of applying to study Mental Health Nursing now

ReputationRep:
    I've actually been there for a year now and it's great!
    It is hard, but if you do enough research and show your interest at interview and I personally think in mental health being genuine helps, you'll do fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Swagio;72790064]I've actually been there for a year now and it's great!
    It is hard, but if you do enough research and show your interest at interview and I personally think in mental health being genuine helps, you'll do fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE
    I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your course. Thank you, it's just that I am not clever so I am scared of universities not wanting to consider me as an applicant but I do see that being genuine helps and it would definitely get you far.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.