Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Can I still get into uni without maths GCSE? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is it possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry but u have to have at least C at maths that's for nearly all unis

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Bournemouth too :five: Pretty much all unis require a pass in English and Maths. I've heard of a couple of people who have gone to uni without Maths GCSE but it's quite rare. Your best bet is to wait until results day and see whether you've passed or failed and whether they've accepted you or not. They may end up accepting you anyway, but most unis do ask for a pass in GCSE Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya17)
    I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is is possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?
    you can get into a really low ranked university. but if i was you i'd find a way to re do my maths GCSE (it is really easy to get a C) because to even get a standard job with your degree you need at least a C in maths and english. or getting a job anywhere that is not fast food.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm95)
    you can get into a really low ranked university. but if i was you i'd find a way to re do my maths GCSE (it is really easy to get a C) because to even get a standard job with your degree you need at least a C in maths and english. or getting a job anywhere that is not fast food.
    The OP clearly states they've retaken 4 times so telling them it's easy isn't going to help.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anya17)
    I have put Bournemouth as my firm with my course as multimedia journalism. I feel fairly confident in my A levels which I need to get BBC. However, I need at least a C in maths GCSE and I know I have definitely not passed with a C but probably a D as that is what I get each time (I have retaken four times now and I am not retaking again as the exams are even harder now). I get that courses like maths, sciences, business etc require maths GCSE but I don't see why it's necessary for journalism or similar courses. Anyway, my question is, is it possible that I will still be accepted even if I don't meet this condition? Has anyone been in a similar situation? If there are still spaces on the course will I be accepted then even if I have not met the requirements?
    Ring BU admissions up and ask them whether they would automatically reject you if you miss the C grade or whether they'd consider the rest of your application.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.