The Student Room Group

Should I be wary of this eBay buyer?

I'm currently selling a laptop online, and I've been contacted by an eBayer with her paypal email address to send a request for payment, as she could not select "buy now" due to being based outside of the UK (I listed the item as only post within UK).

She is offering me quite a bit more money for the laptop than it was listed, due to overseas posting fees.

After she sent me the message containing her paypal details, i received a warning from ebay saying that external transactions are not allowed for items that are listed on ebay.

Should I be wary of this customer? What shall I do?
Original post by Bezoar
I'm currently selling a laptop online, and I've been contacted by an eBayer with her paypal email address to send a request for payment, as she could not select "buy now" due to being based outside of the UK (I listed the item as only post within UK).

She is offering me quite a bit more money for the laptop than it was listed, due to overseas posting fees.

After she sent me the message containing her paypal details, i received a warning from ebay saying that external transactions are not allowed for items that are listed on ebay.

If you conduct the transaction out of eBay, then there's no comeback and you can't use their procedures for dispute. But I would have thought this was more of a risk for the buyer conducing the sale off eBay because if the item doesn't arrive after payment, they can't start a claim. As a seller, if you're sure you've received the money (and it's not going to be recalled from your paypal account for some reason) I can't see much danger in it for you. Others might have more experience of this sort of thing though.
Where overseas?
If they couldn't click buy its because you chose not to ship overseas, which is the right thing to do tbh unless it's EU.
I've asked buyers to pay off site to avoid the fees and it's all gone fine, but it's no precedent.
If he pays via goods, it's difficult to see how he can scam you tbh, so long as you use tracked and signed postage.
take the payment then dont send the item
Reply 4
Some can recall the money from their credit card then you are not under eBay's seller protection.
I would not risk it. I could add the option for her county and ask to pay through eBay.
Reply 6
Original post by Bezoar

Thats all ******** they ask you to request money on PayPal from their email address and couple hours later u get a fake PayPal email showing the transaction as in they paid but it's fake I get it all the time don't trust no buyer outside eBay
Original post by Reality Check
If you conduct the transaction out of eBay, then there's no comeback and you can't use their procedures for dispute. But I would have thought this was more of a risk for the buyer conducing the sale off eBay because if the item doesn't arrive after payment, they can't start a claim. As a seller, if you're sure you've received the money (and it's not going to be recalled from your paypal account for some reason) I can't see much danger in it for you. Others might have more experience of this sort of thing though.

Original post by somemightsay888
Where overseas?
If they couldn't click buy its because you chose not to ship overseas, which is the right thing to do tbh unless it's EU.
I've asked buyers to pay off site to avoid the fees and it's all gone fine, but it's no precedent.
If he pays via goods, it's difficult to see how he can scam you tbh, so long as you use tracked and signed postage.

Original post by SalazarSlytherin
take the payment then dont send the item

Original post by Kathy89
Some can recall the money from their credit card then you are not under eBay's seller protection.
I would not risk it. I could add the option for her county and ask to pay through eBay.

Original post by stack__
Thats all ******** they ask you to request money on PayPal from their email address and couple hours later u get a fake PayPal email showing the transaction as in they paid but it's fake I get it all the time don't trust no buyer outside eBay

Yep you're right everyone, it's deffo a scam :lol: I got the fake email saying they paid (even though it wasnt in my account) and the address was to some random place in nigeria even though the ebay account said they're based in the USA :lol:

I blocked and reported them.
Reply 8
Original post by Bezoar

Check paypal's seller protection policies etc. You want to make sure you are covered for if they pull out.
One way around it would be to re-list your item so they are able to buy through ebay though. If they are cool with that then do it, if not they sound dodgy.

edit: never mind. It seems you already got your answer. Well done for being cautious. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Spoiler

Decided to have a bit of fun with it (summer boredom getting to me) and reverse-trolling the scammer. :lol: Any suggestions as to what I should write?

IMG_0392.PNG

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending