The Student Room Group

Should I take Economics or Computing?

I'm thinking of applying for Computer Science and Philosophy at Oxford (if I actually do well) but I'm also applying to other schools around the world, and some consider Maths and Further Maths as one subject, which is one of the few reasons why I won't be taking Further Maths (despite wanting to).

Also, I was wondering if Economics would help when applying for Philosophy as well, considering it's an essay subject.

As for Computing / Computer Science, well, it's relevant to Computer Science, I enjoy it, although I'm not sure how favourably it's looked upon in applications.

Thanks for any help.

Board: CIE
(edited 6 years ago)
I can only speak for Computer Science (I took OCR Computer science), and whilst it is relevant, it is not necessary for the course. Any coding knowledge can be picked up in your free time, and you will likely learn more in doing that, as the theory work will not carry over.
Original post by phillipJFries
I can only speak for Computer Science (I took OCR Computer science), and whilst it is relevant, it is not necessary for the course. Any coding knowledge can be picked up in your free time, and you will likely learn more in doing that, as the theory work will not carry over.

Thanks for your reply! I have experience coding and am familiar with general CS, which was also why I was considering it.
In CS courses, they start off, assuming that everyone in the class has had no previous coding experience. So you're fine on that front.

I'd honestly suggest Economics, I mean, CS is useful for your degree, but it's not absolutely needed as you'll be starting over anyway.
If you feel as if you can handle the workload and you're quite comfortable and fond of maths, I would recommend asking your school if you can take further maths as an extra a level or AS simply because i'm sure it'd be extremely useful and i know a lot of universities like it (although you can be equally successful with just normal maths).

at a level, there is quite a lot of essay writing involved in Economics although I wouldn't say it's extremely advanced or anything of that sort - the essays are rather quite simple to be totally honest with you. but in general, economics is a really interesting dynamic subject which will definitely give you a lot of philosophical questions to ponder upon.

Quick Reply

Latest