Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm leaning towards Imperial as its London based and I like it based on pretty much everything in comparison to Oxbridge, other than the lack of humanities students, but Cambridge has more prestige so I'm still considering it. I will likely put them both down if I have any chance of getting into either.

My GCSEs are: A*A*A*AAAAABBBB
    My GCSE predictions were: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAE

Ignore the E, it was based off of the PE short course
    practical. 😂😂 I ended up with a B due to getting a D in practical then near enough full marks in the theory.

However they have extenuating circumstances that come with them. What happened was:

I was suicidal and maybe self harming (when I stopped is sorta hazy) during this time period, and my ex broke up with me for my best friend. I wasn't told but could intuitevely sense this (maybe just paranoia that worked out to be true) He was continuously around us and I got obsessed with being at her house during to watch him. I also had no place to study at home, and my dad was (still is) a drug addict which causes domestic issues, leading to me not wanting to stay home since it is often loud. This clashes with my mum's helicopter parenting which means I can't leave home, so study leave and pretending to go to school helped a lot. I was far too depressed to care about my GCSEs since if I'm thinking of killing myself then they obviously won't be useful in the grave.

Teachers caught me self harming as well, and then my mum later did so I have been to the doctor's about mental health issues which have dominated my life the past few years so there are records of this.

Highest my predicted A level grades will be:
    A*A*A

Lowest my predicted A level grades will be:
    A*AB

(English literature and language, Maths, And Physics respectively)

I am expecting at minimum 80UMS for the maths A level exams I just took.

I am also looking into an EPQ, which I have heard Imperial sometimes include in offers.

Is there any chance of me getting into a Physics, maybe computing subject in either of them with these grades? I'm also considering natural sciences. I know that my grades meet the minimum requirements for courses that I've seen-but, my lowest grade will be physics, and the courses may need the highest (A*) grades on the maths/science related subjects?

I alse have extenuating circumstances for my A levels since I essentially only started investing into my A levels in around May..this is due to family issues once again, depression, constant fatigue, and only getting a place to study that is quiet in that time period after I kicked up a great fuss just before exam period. I am going to inquire into extra time in my exams for next year. HOWEVER, i do not want to put extenuating circumstances down for all of the examples of academic achievement that I show to universities, because honestly it just sounds like I'm making excuses. Maybe only put it down for one of them, in which case which would benefit me more? I feel like I would rather it be GCSEs because I underachieved by significantly more in them, so it would put me more at ease.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_Human_Being)
    At the moment I'm leaning towards Imperial as its London based and I like it based on pretty much everything in comparison to Oxbridge, other than the lack of humanities students, but Cambridge has more prestige so I'm still considering it. I will likely put them both down if I have any chance of getting into either.

My GCSEs are: A*A*A*AAAAABBBB
    My GCSE predictions were: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAE

Ignore the E, it was based off of the PE short course
    practical. 😂😂 I ended up with a B due to getting a D in practical then near enough full marks in the theory.

However they have extenuating circumstances that come with them. What happened was:

I was suicidal and maybe self harming (when I stopped is sorta hazy) during this time period, and my ex broke up with me for my best friend. I wasn't told but could intuitevely sense this (maybe just paranoia that worked out to be true) He was continuously around us and I got obsessed with being at her house during to watch him. I also had no place to study at home, and my dad was (still is) a drug addict which causes domestic issues, leading to me not wanting to stay home since it is often loud. This clashes with my mum's helicopter parenting which means I can't leave home, so study leave and pretending to go to school helped a lot. I was far too depressed to care about my GCSEs since if I'm thinking of killing myself then they obviously won't be useful in the grave.

Teachers caught me self harming as well, and then my mum later did so I have been to the doctor's about mental health issues which have dominated my life the past few years so there are records of this.

Highest my predicted A level grades will be:
    A*A*A

Lowest my predicted A level grades will be:
    A*AB

(English literature and language, Maths, And Physics respectively)

I am expecting at minimum 80UMS for the maths A level exams I just took.

I am also looking into an EPQ, which I have heard Imperial sometimes include in offers.

Is there any chance of me getting into a Physics, maybe computing subject in either of them with these grades? I'm also considering natural sciences. I know that my grades meet the minimum requirements for courses that I've seen-but, my lowest grade will be physics, and the courses may need the highest (A*) grades on the maths/science related subjects?

I alse have extenuating circumstances for my A levels since I essentially only started investing into my A levels in around May..this is due to family issues once again, depression, constant fatigue, and only getting a place to study that is quiet in that time period after I kicked up a great fuss just before exam period. I am going to inquire into extra time in my exams for next year. HOWEVER, i do not want to put extenuating circumstances down for all of the examples of academic achievement that I show to universities, because honestly it just sounds like I'm making excuses. Maybe only put it down for one of them, in which case which would benefit me more? I feel like I would rather it be GCSEs because I underachieved by significantly more in them, so it would put me more at ease.
    http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/open-days/ Ask them in person.

Or ring their admissions team. They answer questions like this every day. It's their job and they will not lie to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A_Human_Being)
    X
    If you feel comfortable with getting offers from other universities then I say go for it - it's one slot on your UCAS and you have nothing to lose.

The benefit with Cambridge is they have more information (e.g entrance tests, interview) which if you prepared for could carry you through.

No one here can tell you if you will get in, let the admissions tutors decide!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.