Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Reducing my course load Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'll be attending Sussex Law School in the fall, and as a Canadian student I don't know much about the school system. I'm also not particularly wealthy and will be funding my studies myself so I was wondering if there was any way to turn my 3yr course into 4yrs to reduce my course load a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael97UK)
    I was wondering if there was any way to turn my 3yr course into 4yrs to reduce my course load a bit.
    Why do you think doing that would make it cheaper? You'd then be liable for a whole additional year of tuition fees and living costs which are charged by academic year, not by how much time you physically spend there per year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Why do you think doing that would make it cheaper? You'd then be liable for a whole additional year of tuition fees and living costs which are charged by academic year, not by how much time you physically spend there per year.
    Not to make it cheaper. It's more because I'll need to work part time during my course to support myself even though I have savings. It was more to make sure I have enough time to properly succeed in the course.

ReputationRep:
    That would make it more expensive though. The workload should be fine as long as you work consistently. Have you checked if there are any grants/scholarships available?

I hope you enjoy your time in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    That would make it more expensive though. The workload should be fine as long as you work consistently. Have you checked if there are any grants/scholarships available?

I hope you enjoy your time in the UK.
    Hi! I have been checking and haven't had any luck. (In my opinion, the UK is very stingy with outsiders hahaha) However, I have to check with my government because I believe my province will have some grants I can apply for before I leave.

But if you think it's doable, it's reassuring me that I'll be fine. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michael97UK)
    Hi! I have been checking and haven't had any luck. (In my opinion, the UK is very stingy with outsiders hahaha) However, I have to check with my government because I believe my province will have some grants I can apply for before I leave.

But if you think it's doable, it's reassuring me that I'll be fine. Thanks!
    I have studied Law, but not at Sussex. I think the workload is quite similar for most universities (other than Oxford/Cambridge). Most problems come from students leaving things to the last minute or just not doing enough work. You should be fine. You're very brave to come to another country, but I'm sure you'll love it.

Check with your government, Sussex uni itself and the UK government. It's worth a try!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You should be restricted to working no more than 20 hours a week on your student visa anyway, so you might be able to balance that with your university work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all so much, this was very helpful and reassuring. Super excited to live, work, and study in your marvellous country!

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.