Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go skydiving? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I may go skydiving soon and wondered if anyone has done it or if you would do it? As I'm thinking about it now it sounds awesome but I can imagine when I get up there I will be paralysed by fear :lol:

I would be strapped to an instructor who will pull the cord and control the parachute for me though. Would you do it?

ReputationRep:
    I would love to do it one day. I wouldn't want the instructor though. I'd want to do it on my own to get the maximum thrill.

My tutor from secondary school went skydiving a few years back and showed us a video recording of it. He absolutely love it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, no question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasim_96)
    I would love to do it one day. I wouldn't want the instructor though. I'd want to do it on my own to get the maximum thrill.

My tutor from secondary school went skydiving a few years back and showed us a video recording of it. He absolutely love it.
    I think for your first time you have to go with an instructor because you might pass out, not 100% sure though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalLight)
    I may go skydiving soon and wondered if anyone has done it or if you would do it? As I'm thinking about it now it sounds awesome but I can imagine when I get up there I will be paralysed by fear :lol:

I would be strapped to an instructor who will pull the cord and control the parachute for me though. Would you do it?
    Hush, the first time can be a bit scary, but I promise the second time will be a wowzer :yep:

The best thing about it is that you don't need to do anything at all. The instructor will take care of the parachute for ya. All you gotta do is scream and take in the scenery and the sight of the ground rushing up to meet ya :lol:

Do let us know how it went
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I think I would if there's an opportunity to.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly chickened out of a 3G swing despite already being in the air so no.

ReputationRep:
    As long as I was strapped to someone who knows what they are doing, yes.

ReputationRep:
    I think for your first time you have to go with an instructor because you might pass out, not 100% sure though.
    Tbh I probably will require the instructor. Not because of the fear of passing out but I fear I may end up enjoying it too much and forget to pull the parachute and end up killing myself :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its one of the many things on my bucket list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamoody)
    Hush, the first time can be a bit scary, but I promise the second time will be a wowzer :yep:

The best thing about it is that you don't need to do anything at all. The instructor will take care of the parachute for ya. All you gotta do is scream and take in the scenery and the sight of the ground rushing up to meet ya :lol:

Do let us know how it went
    That's assuming I survive the first jump!

I think once I see a few of my friends jump first I'll have the courage to do it. I heard though that the instructor will just jump out with you attached to him regardless of whether you want to jump or not
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Done it. Took a course at Headcorn while I was still at university. I did it because I was learning to fly gliders and the flying club I was with at the time, insisted we flew with a parachute for emergencies.

Yup, it's scary but extremely exhilarating too.

Headcorn in Kent charge about £400 for the training necessary to 'freefall' on your own with two instructors by your side guiding you from 12,000 feet.

This reduces to around £230 for a tandem jump with an instructor on a weekday and around the same for a static line jump form 3,500 feet on your own.

ReputationRep:
    There's a society that does skydiving at the university that I am hopefully getting to, and I was thinking of joining it for the thrill.

What requirements (apart from money) are there to do it? The thing is I am pretty weak, I never exercise or do anything athletic. Will this be an issue?

ReputationRep:
    ahahahahahah funny joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Done it. Took a course at Headcorn while I was still at university. I did it because I was learning to fly gliders and the flying club I was with at the time, insisted we flew with a parachute for emergencies.

Yup, it's scary but extremely exhilarating too.

Headcorn in Kent charge about £400 for the training necessary to 'freefall' on your own with two instructors by your side guiding you from 12,000 feet.

This reduces to around £230 for a tandem jump with an instructor on a weekday and around the same for a static line jump form 3,500 feet on your own.
    Were you nervous on your first jump? Tandem is where you are strapped to the instructor right? I would never want to jump by myself even with instructors by my side, I'd feel way more comfortable having them do it all.

(Original post by Sweetroll)
    There's a society that does skydiving at the university that I am hopefully getting to, and I was thinking of joining it for the thrill.

What requirements (apart from money) are there to do it? The thing is I am pretty weak, I never exercise or do anything athletic. Will this be an issue?
    I don't think so because there was a 90 year old who did it so I am sure you can do the tandem one without a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Funny this, as last weekend, my local newspaper website was advertising something saying that they need twenty thrillseekers for a skydive in support of a charity in October, and I'm seriously considering participating if I can, but would never do it in any circumstances on my own, and only with someone qualified by my side.

ReputationRep:
    My other half did this, in Cape Town. Amazing views.

ReputationRep:

YES
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I might do it sometime. If I do not chicken out, that is. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Noooo. Never, never. Scared of heights. Can't even watch one!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.