Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What is the most popular bank in UK?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello folks.
    I'm an international student.
    I want to open an account and make debit card.
    I know that there are many banks in UK, but which one is the best to international student??
    To make a new account, which documents should I prepare except for BRP?
    I'm going to take a master course from this September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhjeong)
    Hello folks.
    I know that there are many banks in UK, but which one is the best to international student??
    Barclays is the most popular. Natwest and HSBC are good as well.

ReputationRep:
    Barclays is the biggest bank in the UK. Personally I use TSB and they are terrific.

ReputationRep:
    Apart from foodbanks?

ReputationRep:
    The Bank of Dave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhjeong)
    Hello folks.
    Any of the main banks will be fine. I would look for one with a branch, or ATM, near where you be living, then look at what the account offers.

None of the banks that I have seen offer their standard student account to international students. Some offer an international student account (e.g. NatWest), which typically do not have an overdraft facility.

You can check online, but typically you need proof of identity, your UK address and proof that you are enrolled at a UK university.

ReputationRep:
    No idea about the international student part but the best bank I've had is First Direct - they're a bit picky though.

ReputationRep:
    Any bank will be fine. Don't pick a bank because you have an ATM nearby that is owned by XXX bank as most (if not all) ATMs in the UK are interconnected via the LINK network so you can draw cash from any ATM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    Any bank will be fine. Don't pick a bank because you have an ATM nearby that is owned by XXX bank as most (if not all) ATMs in the UK are interconnected via the LINK network so you can draw cash from any ATM.
    This is poor advice. There is huge variation in the perks and costs of bank accounts. The best accounts in each category are described here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    This is poor advice. There is huge variation in the perks and costs of bank accounts. The best accounts in each category are described here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/stu...t-bank-account
    I am familiar with Martin Lewis' website thank you very much.

My statement was simply trying to eradicate any thought in the mind of the OP joining a bank based on popularity (see the title).

Your advice is also poor, and unhelpful as linking to a post that does not pertain specifically to international students is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=CrazyFool229;72786120}

Your advice is also poor, and unhelpful as linking to a post that does not pertain specifically to international students is pointless.[/QUOTE]

If that is the case, then surely any bank account is no use either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    If that is the case, then surely any bank account is no use either?
    Not really, because what I said is factually correct and pertains to any banking customer, international or national. The link you posted from MSE contains products that are irrelevant to the OP as the facilities given to international students are incredibly different.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.