Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Should I take a gap year to apply to Cambridge next year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've worked my entire life to go to Cambridge. I've gotten 11A*s 1A 1B at O levels, and 6As at AS levels. I'm still waiting for my A level results, but my predicted are good.

However, last year, I made the mistake of switching from law (which I'd wanted to do my entire life) to medicine simply because of pressure (personal reasons). Now I've realized my mistake, and I want to go back to law.

I got a few universities from UK offering me places because of the UCAS extra option. But I still want to go to Cambridge. My extracurriculars are okay. I've done piano and violin, debate and MUN, charity and internships.

The problem is I've not done law as a subject at A levels, and that was my main deterrent. I know I have to sit for the LNAT, and I want to know if not doing law will disadvantage my application and LNAT score. I have done English Language, and was the only person in the whole of my country to get an A at AS levels. (This may be irrelevant, but I just wanted to spare no detail)

Cambridge is incredibly difficult to get into, and I don't know if it's worth taking a gap year for if I have no chance of getting in. Do I have a chance? Or should I just go to one of the unis that accepted me this year?

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask your subjects at A levels?
    I don't believe you will be disadvantaged for not choosing law because a lot of law applicants even at Cambridge don't do law instead they do essay based subjects like English Language and History

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltend)
    Can I ask your subjects at A levels?
    I don't believe you will be disadvantaged for not choosing law because a lot of law applicants even at Cambridge don't do law instead they do essay based subjects like English Language and History
    I've done both English Language and History in O levels and AS levels. I dropped English in A2, unfortunately. For A2, my subjects were biology, chemistry, english language, economics and mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    I really think you have a good shot just apply and see what happens I think there is no need for a gap year in your case but the choice is yours

ReputationRep:
    Take the Gap Year, best time of your life. Dw about Cambridge
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trisha1701)
    Hello,
    I've worked my entire life to go to Cambridge. I've gotten 11A*s 1A 1B at O levels, and 6As at AS levels. I'm still waiting for my A level results, but my predicted are good.

However, last year, I made the mistake of switching from law (which I'd wanted to do my entire life) to medicine simply because of pressure (personal reasons). Now I've realized my mistake, and I want to go back to law.

I got a few universities from UK offering me places because of the UCAS extra option. But I still want to go to Cambridge. My extracurriculars are okay. I've done piano and violin, debate and MUN, charity and internships.

The problem is I've not done law as a subject at A levels, and that was my main deterrent. I know I have to sit for the LNAT, and I want to know if not doing law will disadvantage my application and LNAT score. I have done English Language, and was the only person in the whole of my country to get an A at AS levels. (This may be irrelevant, but I just wanted to spare no detail)

Cambridge is incredibly difficult to get into, and I don't know if it's worth taking a gap year for if I have no chance of getting in. Do I have a chance? Or should I just go to one of the unis that accepted me this year?
    You don't need A-level Law to do law at any university, including Cambridge.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...y-requirements

What A-levels did you do, and your expected grades?

Your non-course specific extra curriculars (piano, etc) are not relevant for Cambridge. It's all about having strong (A*AA+) academics.

Taking a gap year is fine, and you can obviously re-apply to the other universities anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    You don't need A-level Law to do law at any university, including Cambridge.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...y-requirements

What A-levels did you do, and your expected grades?

Your non-course specific extra curriculars (piano, etc) are not relevant for Cambridge. It's all about having strong (A*AA+) academics.

Taking a gap year is fine, and you can obviously re-apply to the other universities anyway.
    My A level subjects were chemistry, biology, English language, economics and maths. My predicted grades are 5A*s. Someone told me that, while such universities do not require law, sitting for the LNAT and the Cambridge law pre-interview test requires legal knowledge. Also, I'm an international student, and such universities are pretty selective about international students. I'm from Kenya. How do I stand out from other applicants?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trisha1701)
    My A level subjects were chemistry, biology, English language, economics and maths. My predicted grades are 5A*s. Someone told me that, while such universities do not require law, sitting for the LNAT and the Cambridge law pre-interview test requires legal knowledge. Also, I'm an international student, and such universities are pretty selective about international students. I'm from Kenya. How do I stand out from other applicants?
    LNAT doesn't require legal experience. You want to be a lawyer, or at least you want to study law, so it might test if you can think like a lawyer. There are example questions available.

And having 5 A*s will help you stand out.

Edit: LNAT examples
    http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/practice-test/

However Cambridge has its own test, the CLT, Cambridge Law Test.
    http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

"The questions will not require that you have any prior knowledge of the law. We are looking to test your general skills of comprehension and exposition."

No university requires A-level Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    LNAT doesn't require legal experience. You want to be a lawyer, or at least you want to study law, so it might test if you can think like a lawyer. There are example questions available.

And having 5 A*s will help you stand out.

Edit: LNAT examples
    http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/practice-test/

However Cambridge has its own test, the CLT, Cambridge Law Test.
    http://ba.law.cam.ac.uk/applying/cambridge_law_test/

"The questions will not require that you have any prior knowledge of the law. We are looking to test your general skills of comprehension and exposition."

No university requires A-level Law.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much for you help

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.