The Student Room Group

I did really bad in my end of year, year 10 results

I just received my results and I was shockedI received: Maths: E, English: C/D, Science: D, The rest of my results for my additional subjects were fine. I am really scared to show my parents my results as it will end in a huge argument and them being mad at me. What do I do?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Think of it like this if they find out and you appear to be hiding them you will be in more trouble and your parents are there to help you.
Best way is to tell them and tell them you will improve then learn from your mistakes
they're only mocks. I remember not doing anywhere near as well as I wanted for my year 11 mocks, I used them as a catalyst to get myself organised and to work really hard, so that I wouldn't face disappointment again. I think you should your results as a catalyst too.

If you didn't really revise and try for these exams, then obviously you'll know where to improve.

If you genuinely tried your hardest, you've got to look back and seriously review your study methods because they're letting you down. Are you doing lots of past papers, flash-cards, re-writing out notes again and again 'till they're like second nature etc, then modify your study plan and go from there.
Reply 3
Original post by Jacob_N
I just received my results and I was shockedI received: Maths: E, English: C/D, Science: D, The rest of my results for my additional subjects were fine. I am really scared to show my parents my results as it will end in a huge argument and them being mad at me. What do I do?

It doesn't matter you've still got a whole year to go. Let those grades motivate you to do better.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Jacob_N

Unfortunately you do need to tell them, as they may find out anyway (from teachers) so it would be better for them to hear it from you, and if you don't then you will continue to worry.

I have just finished my GCSE exams and when I was in year 10, I knew a lot of people who didn't do well in their end of year exams. For some of them they just acted as though they didn't care (I'm not sure if they did) and continued to do exactly what they had (or hadn't) been doing, hence they didn't make any improvements in their year 11 mocks. However, I also saw people who realised that if they got those results on results day in year 11 they would be so disappointed, and they were the ones who started to change their work and revision techniques, and who came out with great year 11 mock results (and hopefully great GCSE results!)

Therefore my advice would be to tell your parents, but also sit down with them and talk through what you want to do so that it doesn't happen again. If you aren't comfortable talking it through with them then I'm sure your teachers would be more than happy to help, and there are so many good revision and advice resources on the internet that you can use! Just keep a positive mindset and work hard and make sure you revise more next year:smile:
Original post by Jacob_N

Try watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfEaLGE0Dtg
Mate you got a whole year to go, what you need to do is identify is which topics in maths etc. you are weak at... then explain to your parents and tell them' look mum and dad, i didnt do really well in my year 10 exams but I am willing to change that... i am going to dedicate some of my summer holiday time to fix these mistakes' you need to remind them you have another year. Over the holidays practice the topics u need help with and purchase cgp books and work thru them and show them that u mean what you say... good luck xx :smile:
Tell your parents, let them be mad at you, but remind them that you still have a year and the summer to do things so don't worry. But make sure you acknowledge that you need to improve.

Seriously, I got some bad grades once and my parents flipped and told my whole family about how 'rubbish' I did (it really wasn't). They made it seem like I was going to fail in life and made me feel really bad about it (although it wasn't) but I improved them and shoved my report into their faces :biggrin:. They didn't tell my family about that part though. Anywho, you know what to do. Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Jacob_N

Ok so here's an example
In year 10 maths gcse mock I got a D
In gcse maths i got an A* in the end and now I'm doing a maths degree.

Calm down you have enough time for drastic improvements !
Reply 9
Original post by Jacob_N

Oh dear ... :frown: I can completely relate with bad mock results, the one before I sat my GCSEs really shocked me hard, it was even worse than the one I did back in January but it's something you can turn around. In turns of moving on, your parents need to understand that not everyone in the world is as academically as able - people learn at different speeds; however, if people work hard they will get far. Now in that context, do you know specifically what went wrong? i.e. was you stressed out, are you the one who hates exams, did you revise properly or did you do your very best and still didn't get what you want?

Also, do watch the video my friend, Lemur suggested, it might come in handy. :smile:

P.S: Feel free to tag me if you need help with anything, I'll be happy to help.
Reply 10
Original post by Meltend
Think of it like this if they find out and you appear to be hiding them you will be in more trouble and your parents are there to help you.
Best way is to tell them and tell them you will improve then learn from your mistakes

This is very true, I remember doing that on several occasions back in Year 9/10 and boy did it made things x1000 times worse.

Quick Reply

Latest