Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Worrying about starting uni Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sure there's plenty of threads on this already but I wanted to get some things off my chest to see if I feel any better. I was looking forward to it up until recently when i started thinking about it a bit and it all became a bit more real.

I start uni in September and the truth is, I'm scared. I play rugby and desperatly wanted to make it as a proffesional but it hasn't quite worked out. I've always been quite dedicated to it and have never had too many friends outside of the sport, particularly in recent years when we moved towns and I struggled to make friends at sixth form.

I'm really, really close with my family, particularly my Dad. Might sound sad but he's my best mate, we watch most games on TV, both love rugby and have really similar interets. I'm not as close to my Mum but I know how much she's going to miss me and knowing how upset me leaving is going to make her won't be easy.

I'm going to miss my rugby club who I've played for since 8 years old. I'm avoiding university rugby and playing for a club instead. I'm not the biggest drinker and that's something I'm a bit apprehensive about. I know my limits though and I'm sharp enough not to go beyond them.

I considered commuting but it'd be 1 hour 20 mins there and a bit less back. I don't think it'd be easy but a big part of me is telling me to cancel my accommodation and do it. The other part of me is telling me that I need to start making my own life now, make some new friends and that most people will probably feel similar things to I'm doing now and that it'll all be OK. I love my family an awful lot but I don't want them to be all I have. I've picked a uni that isn't too far away so I can come back whenever I feel. My Dad works a short walk away from my uni so I'll hopefully still be able to see him a fair bit.

I'm not soft in any way but I feel it a bit at the minute. I just wanted to put this out there because I'm sure there are lots of people who are/will be feeling the same as me and it'd be nice to hear their thoughts.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Why pick a uni so far away? Did you have to, or? Surely a lot of this could've been solved back when you were applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Webbo2)
    Sure there's plenty of threads on this already but I wanted to get some things off my chest to see if I feel any better. I was looking forward to it up until recently when i started thinking about it a bit and it all became a bit more real.

I start uni in September and the truth is, I'm scared. I play rugby and desperatly wanted to make it as a proffesional but it hasn't quite worked out. I've always been quite dedicated to it and have never had too many friends outside of the sport, particularly in recent years when we moved towns and I struggled to make friends at sixth form.

I'm really, really close with my family, particularly my Dad. Might sound sad but he's my best mate, we watch most games on TV, both love rugby and have really similar interets. I'm not as close to my Mum but I know how much she's going to miss me and knowing how upset me leaving is going to make her won't be easy.

I'm going to miss my rugby club who I've played for since 8 years old. I'm avoiding university rugby and playing for a club instead. I'm not the biggest drinker and that's something I'm a bit apprehensive about. I know my limits though and I'm sharp enough not to go beyond them.

I considered commuting but it'd be 1 hour 20 mins there and a bit less back. I don't think it'd be easy but a big part of me is telling me to cancel my accommodation and do it. The other part of me is telling me that I need to start making my own life now, make some new friends and that most people will probably feel similar things to I'm doing now and that it'll all be OK. I love my family an awful lot but I don't want them to be all I have. I've picked a uni that isn't too far away so I can come back whenever I feel. My Dad works a short walk away from my uni so I'll hopefully still be able to see him a fair bit.

I'm not soft in any way but I feel it a bit at the minute. I just wanted to put this out there because I'm sure there are lots of people who are/will be feeling the same as me and it'd be nice to hear their thoughts.

Cheers
    Honestly I know EXACTLY how you feel, it's incredibly hard when you're close to your family and you think about moving away from them. Honestly on the bright side your dad works very close AND you can go home when you want to on weekends, like if he works on Friday you can always get him to pick you up and you can go straight home. Thats an advantage that not many people have. It's worth trying accommodation and if you really don't like it, then by all means commute instead. As for the rugby, when does your club train? because if its on a Sunday then you can stay home for the weekend and come back Trust me I KNOW how you feel. I went to boarding school for 5 years and whilst to other it seemed easy, it wasn't for the first night, but after that it became fun and I enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JooW)
    Why pick a uni so far away? Did you have to, or? Surely a lot of this could've been solved back when you were applying.
    Closest one I think door to door, definitely the closest one that did my course and met my grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boredom101)
    Honestly I know EXACTLY how you feel, it's incredibly hard when you're close to your family and you think about moving away from them. Honestly on the bright side your dad works very close AND you can go home when you want to on weekends, like if he works on Friday you can always get him to pick you up and you can go straight home. Thats an advantage that not many people have. It's worth trying accommodation and if you really don't like it, then by all means commute instead. As for the rugby, when does your club train? because if its on a Sunday then you can stay home for the weekend and come back Trust me I KNOW how you feel. I went to boarding school for 5 years and whilst to other it seemed easy, it wasn't for the first night, but after that it became fun and I enjoyed it
    Tuesday and Thursday training and Saturday games so I could always go home straight after and come back Monday I guess.

Thanks for the reply 🙂

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday and Thursday training and Saturday games so I could always go home straight after and come back Monday I guess.

Thanks for the reply 🙂
    Exactly and to be honest, there may be a day that you don't have lectures. Don't worry about it. Try and see how it goes first and if you don't like it then its chilled, just leave (accommodation I mean) and you're welcome

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,moving to University can be such a daunting experience but it honestly will not take you long at all to make friends! Everyone is in the same boat, and there are so many brilliant opportunities for freshers to meet many new people. Living in halls is 100% the best way to get the most out of Uni, especially in terms of the social life. The people I live with I did not know 12 months ago but now are some of my very closest friends! You will have time to see your family too.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing sad or pathetic about having such a strong relationship with your father.

However, eventually, you will have to leave your parents and make a life for yourself. You always have weekends, and from what I've seen, the Summer, Christmas and Easter holidays are much longer than the ones at school

ReputationRep:
    I am really close with my family and I did struggle a bit living away from them at first. You will adjust though and when you go back in the holidays, you will cherish your time with them even more.
    Try and call them once a while like I did, it made me feel connected. Also I saw them every two weeks on a sunday. They lived about an hour and 10mins away but the trip was worth it everytime.
    Everyone has the blues for home but I think you are more nervous. Don't do anything irrational like cancelling accommodation. Soon enough you will settle in
    Also at uni, not everyone drinks so you won't be out of place in that aspect
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:

Cheers
    Hi Webbo2,

Thanks for sharing your experience. As others have said, give it time and you'll soon make friends at uni. There will be plenty of different clubs and societies that you can join to meet like-minded people. Remember it's not forever! Lots of people choose to move out in their first year but then live back home their second year, or visa versa. It might help to make a schedule of when you'll meet up/call your family so you know what to expect.

Best of luck with your studies!

Thanks,
    Heather

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.